Microprocessors and Computer Organization

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a class called "Microprocessors and Computer Organization" and the textbook "Introduction to Embedded Microprocessor Systems" by Jonathan W. Valvano. The student is looking for alternative resources and recommendations for learning about the Motorola 68HC11 and 68HC12 chips. The conversation also touches on the benefits and challenges of learning assembly language and using C compilers for microcontrollers.
Maxwell
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but if I'm wrong I'm sure a mod will move my post...

Ok, so I'm taking a class called "Microprocessors and Computer Organization," and it's killing me! First off, it is incredibly boring (assembly language :cry:) , and secondly... the textbook SUCKS!

The chips we are using are the Motorola 68HC11 & 68HC12. The book we are using is "Introduction to Embedded Microprocessor Systems" by Jonathan W. Valvano. This book is terribly organized and hard to read.

Is there another book that uses this chip to explain concepts that you guys know about? I am dying for another textbook!

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Assembly is a little boaring as compared to more modern languages, but it is good to learn it. Then you can become a "Great One" who can program asm, code that runs extreamly fast, I mean EXTREAMLY FAST. About the textbook thing, I don't know any books but I am sure there are a lot of resources on the web about it. Just do some google's.

There are some HC11 books out there. The HC11 has been around for some time now and has been a toy for hobbiests for 20 years or so.

Amazon search: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...l_xgl14/103-0267509-9414278&tag=pfamazon01-20

Download the HC11 literature(hc11 reference manual and particular doc for the chip you are playing with) directly from freescale. The HC11 docs are good(not as good as PIC docs IMO but good none the less).

Here are some others to look into

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0130895687,00.html

Now, if you're trying to learn the concepts independent of a particular processor then you may want to look into books covering 8051's, Atmel AVR's Microchip PICs(these are cool but the AVR's are better IMO), MC68332's(you can do a lot with one of these I gar-on-tee), H8's... There are dozens and dozens of processors to learn the basics with and a number of books for each.

As far as ASM goes, if you want to fiddle with microC's then get used to ASM. There are C compilers for these chips but you REALLY have to work to write C code as fast as ASM code. You REALLY have to work hard to write C code as compact as ASM code. Both can be done but require more thought of how the processor actually handles information. ASM is boring, but essential for microC's especially when you look at the available memory in most of these little computers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Microprocessors and Computer Organization

1. What is a microprocessor?

A microprocessor is a small electronic chip that serves as the central processing unit (CPU) of a computer. It is responsible for executing instructions and performing calculations, making it the "brain" of the computer.

2. How does a microprocessor work?

A microprocessor works by receiving instructions from a computer's memory, decoding them, and then executing them. It does this by performing a series of basic operations, such as addition, subtraction, and comparison, on data stored in its registers.

3. What is the difference between a microprocessor and a microcontroller?

A microprocessor is a single chip that only contains the CPU, while a microcontroller also includes other components such as memory, input/output ports, and timers. This makes microcontrollers better suited for embedded systems and small electronic devices.

4. How does computer organization affect the performance of a microprocessor?

Computer organization refers to how the components of a computer are arranged and interact with each other. An efficient organization can improve the performance of a microprocessor by reducing the time it takes to access and process data. This is why factors such as cache size and memory speed are important in determining the performance of a microprocessor.

5. What are some common applications of microprocessors?

Microprocessors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, cars, and household appliances. They are also commonly used in industrial and manufacturing processes, medical equipment, and aerospace technology.