Good self study books for physics of quantum computing

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's plans to go to grad school for theoretical physics and their interest in the field of quantum computing. They were looking for recommendations on introductory textbooks for physicists, specifically focusing on the physical aspects rather than computer science. The suggested book was "Quantum Computation and Information" by Nielsen and Chuang, with a newer book by Kok and Lovett also being mentioned. The conversation also briefly mentioned the intersection of quantum information and many-body physics, but no specific textbook was recommended.
Bobby Donald
Hello everyone, I'm an undergraduate double majoring in physics and math. I have one year left after this one, then I plan to go to grad school for theoretical physics (not sure what field yet).
My professor keeps suggesting the physics side of quantum computing as a good career route and I'm just wondering what some good textbooks are for an introduction to quantum computing for physicists. There are many books out there but they mostly focus on the computer science. I'm told the field is large enough that physicists are hired just to study the physics, and not the CS, and I'd like to just study these aspects.
I greatly appreciate any responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe what you're looking at is the field of quantum information. The "classic" introductory textbook for this is the aptly named Quantum Computation and Information by Nielsen and Chuang.

Yes, I used also this book of Nielsen and Chuang, I think it is the best for starting ...

Nielsen and Chuang has the relevant chapter 7 on physical implementations. But it came out in 2000 so it necessarily missed a number of important developments like the KLM linear optical scheme or measurement-based scheme for quantum computing. There is a newer https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521519144/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Kok and Lovett that contains these topics.

Currently there is also a cross fertilization between quantum information/computing and many-body physics but I'm not aware of a good textbook on the subject. (I'm not too crazy about Quantum Information Meets Quantum Matter but someone else might like it.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Good self study books for physics of quantum computing

1. What are some recommended self-study books for learning about quantum computing?

Some commonly recommended self-study books for learning about quantum computing include "Quantum Computing for Computer Scientists" by Yanofsky and Mannucci, "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Rieffel and Polak, and "Quantum Computing: From Linear Algebra to Physical Realizations" by Klimek and Shabani.

2. Are there any self-study books specifically focused on the physics of quantum computing?

Yes, there are several self-study books that specifically focus on the physics of quantum computing. Some examples include "Quantum Computing: A Short Course from Theory to Experiment" by Kaye, Laflamme, and Mosca, "Introduction to Quantum Information Science" by Vedral, "Quantum Computing: An Applied Approach" by McGeoch and Wang, and "Quantum Computing: A Beginner's Introduction" by Kay.

3. Can self-study books for quantum computing be used by beginners?

Yes, there are self-study books for quantum computing that are suitable for beginners. These books typically start with basic concepts and gradually build upon them, making it easier for beginners to understand and follow along.

4. Are there any self-study books for quantum computing that include practical exercises or examples?

Yes, many self-study books for quantum computing include practical exercises or examples. This can be helpful for readers to apply the concepts they have learned and gain a better understanding of how quantum computing works in practice.

5. Are there any self-study books for quantum computing that are suitable for self-paced learning?

Yes, there are self-study books for quantum computing that are suitable for self-paced learning. These books typically include chapter summaries, review questions, and practice problems that allow readers to work at their own pace and assess their understanding of the material.