Michelson Interferometer problem

In summary: For example, if you were to try this problem with an error of .001 instead of .002 (ie. rounding off instead of letting the calculator take care of it), the answer would be 21.994 instead of 22.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A Michelson interferometer operating at a 600nm wavelength has 2.00 cm glass cell in one arm. To begin, the air is pumped out of the cell and mirror M2 is adjusted to produce a bright spot ant the center of the interference pattern. Then a valve is opened and air is slowly admitted to the cell. The index of refraction of air at 1 atm of pressure is 1.00028. How many bright-dark-bright fringe shifts are observed as the cell fills with air?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To start out the problem, in order to form a bright spot at the center, I think that there must be an equal number of wavelengths going through both arms.

The number of wavelengths in the evacuted glass tube is (.02/6.0e-7)= 33,333

The wavelength of the light in the air is: (6.0e-7)/1.00028 = 5.998e-7

The length of the other arm must then be adjusted to be:

33333= L2/(5.998e-7) L2= 0.01999 m

When the glass tube is filled w/ air, the number of wavelengths will be (.02m)/(5.998e-7) = 33344 wavelengths.

But I'm not sure how to put this into equation form to calculate the number of shifts I will see. Can someone explain this to me? I'm really having a tough time visualizing

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok... I think I have it... first I need to multiply both 33333 and 33344 by 2, then I will subtract them.

2(33344-33333) = 22. Is this right?

bcjochim07 said:
Ok... I think I have it... first I need to multiply both 33333 and 33344 by 2, then I will subtract them.

2(33344-33333) = 22. Is this right?

The procedure you are following looks right to me; everytime you "fit" in an extra half-wavelength into the air cell you get a transition from bright to dark fringe (or vice versa).

However, numerically I believe you might need to be more careful. Subtracting two numbers that are close together causes a loss of precision. If you let your calculator keep all the digits it can (intead of rounding off during the problem) I think you'll find that the answer 22 has a large percent error.

Related to Michelson Interferometer problem

1. What is the Michelson Interferometer problem?

The Michelson Interferometer problem is a thought experiment that involves a beam of light being split into two perpendicular paths and then recombined to produce an interference pattern. The problem is to determine how the interference pattern will change if one of the paths is lengthened or shortened.

2. What is the significance of the Michelson Interferometer problem?

The Michelson Interferometer problem is significant because it was the basis for the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which aimed to detect the existence of the luminiferous ether. This experiment ultimately led to the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. What are the applications of the Michelson Interferometer?

The Michelson Interferometer has many practical applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to make precise measurements of length, wavelength, and refractive index. It is also used in the construction of interferometers for detecting gravitational waves.

4. How does the Michelson Interferometer work?

The Michelson Interferometer works by splitting a beam of light into two paths using a partially reflective mirror. The two paths then recombine and produce an interference pattern, which can be analyzed to make measurements. By changing the length of one of the paths, the interference pattern can be altered.

5. What are the limitations of the Michelson Interferometer?

The Michelson Interferometer is limited by factors such as the precision of the equipment used, environmental factors such as temperature and air currents, and the properties of the light source. It also requires a stable and coherent light source for accurate measurements.