MHBFind Tangent Equation to Curve: (2sin(2t), 2sin(t)) at (√3,1)

In summary: You don't actually need to find what \(\cos{t}\) is. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point. The process involves finding the slope using derivatives and solving for the cosine of the angle at the given point. This method is elegant and efficient in finding the equation of the tangent line.
Petrus
Hello MHB,

Find and an equation of the tangent(s) to the curve at the given point
\(\displaystyle x=2\sin(2t)\), \(\displaystyle y=2\sin(t)\) \(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{3},1 \right)\)
first we need to find the slope so we derivate
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=2\cos(t)\), \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=4\cos(2t)\)
so we got \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{2\cos(t)}{4cos(2t)}\)
we need to solve t for the given point but \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt} \neq 0\)
so if we solve \(\displaystyle \sqrt{3}=2\sin(2t)\) we get that \(\displaystyle t \neq \frac{1}{2} \sin^{-1} \left(\frac{3}{2} \right)\) now we got that \(\displaystyle t= \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{\pi}{6}\) so we get that our slope is \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)
and if we put that in \(\displaystyle y-y_1=m(x-x_1)\) we get that equation of the tangent is
\(\displaystyle y=\frac{\sqrt{3}x}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\)
Is this correct?

Regards,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,

Find and an equation of the tangent(s) to the curve at the given point
\(\displaystyle x=2\sin(2t)\), \(\displaystyle y=2\sin(t)\) \(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{3},1 \right)\)
first we need to find the slope so we derivate
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=2\cos(t)\), \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=4\cos(2t)\)
so we got \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{2\cos(t)}{4cos(2t)}\)
we need to solve t for the given point but \(\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt} \neq 0\)
so if we solve \(\displaystyle \sqrt{3}=2\sin(2t)\) we get that \(\displaystyle t \neq \frac{1}{2} \sin^{-1} \left(\frac{3}{2} \right)\) now we got that \(\displaystyle t= \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{\pi}{6}\) so we get that our slope is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)
and if we put that in \(\displaystyle y-y_1=m(x-x_1)\) we get that equation of the tangent is
\(\displaystyle y=\frac{\sqrt{3}x}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\)
Is this correct?

Regards,

Hi Petrus, :)

You don't need to find \(t\), although doing that would also solve the problem. I think it would be a little elegant(and less tedious) if you try to find \(\cos{t}\) instead. Starting from the equation that you obtained for the derivative,

\[\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{2\cos(t)}{4cos(2t)}=\frac{\cos{t}}{2(2\cos^2{t}-1)}\]

Note that by finding \(\cos{t}\) you can find the derivative. So how can you find \(\cos{t}\) starting from, \(x=2\sin{2t}\) and \(y=2\sin{t}\) ? Well divide \(x\) by \(y\) and use the double angle formula. According to my algebra you should get \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\) for the slope. Check your calculations again. :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi Petrus, :)

You don't need to find \(t\), although doing that would also solve the problem. I think it would be a little elegant(and less tedious) if you try to find \(\cos{t}\) instead. Starting from the equation that you obtained for the derivative,

\[\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{2\cos(t)}{4cos(2t)}=\frac{\cos{t}}{2(2\cos^2{t}-1)}\]

Note that by finding \(\cos{t}\) you can find the derivative. So how can you find \(\cos{t}\) starting from, \(x=2\sin{2t}\) and \(y=2\sin{t}\) ? Well divide \(x\) by \(y\) and use the double angle formula. According to my algebra you should get \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\) for the slope. Check your calculations again. :)
Hello Sudharaka,
It was typo :eek:
ehmm I get \(\displaystyle \frac{2(2\sin(t)\cos(t))}{2\sin(t)}\)
that means \(\displaystyle \cos(t)=\frac{2\sin(t)}{4\sin(t)}\)
so this work :) But could you possible link me or tell why does this work :)? I never done this before(with solving for cos)! Elegant and very intressting!

Regards,

Last edited:
Petrus said:
Hello Sudharaka,
It was typo :eek:
ehmm I get \(\displaystyle \frac{2(2\sin(t)\cos(t))}{2\sin(t)}\)
that means \(\displaystyle \color{red}{\cos(t)=\frac{2\sin(t)}{4\sin(t)}}\)

Yes you get,

\[\frac{x}{y}=\frac{2(2\sin(t)\cos(t))}{2\sin(t)}=2 \cos{t}\]

The equation highlighted in red is clearly wrong. I don't understand why/how you wrote it. :)

Petrus said:
so this work :) But could you possible link me or tell why does this work :)? I never done this before(with solving for cos)! Elegant and very intressting!

Regards,

So finally we get,

\[\frac{x}{2y}=\cos t\]

Now find \(\cos{t}\) at the point \(\left(\sqrt{3},1 \right)\) and using that you can find \(\dfrac{dy}{dx}\).

I don't quite understand what you meant by "But could you possible link me or tell why does this work?". This method works because you can find the gradient of the tangent and hence the equation of the tangent line which is what you need to find for this question.

Related to MHBFind Tangent Equation to Curve: (2sin(2t), 2sin(t)) at (√3,1)

1. What is the general process for finding the tangent equation to a curve?

In order to find the tangent equation to a curve, you must first find the derivative of the curve. This derivative will be the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the curve. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.

2. How do you find the derivative of a parametric curve?

In order to find the derivative of a parametric curve, you must use the chain rule. First, you take the derivative of each individual parameter with respect to the parameter that is being used for the x or y coordinate. Then, you use these derivatives to find the derivative of the overall curve using the chain rule.

3. What is the meaning of the point (√3,1) in the given parametric curve?

The point (√3,1) represents a specific point on the curve where the tangent equation is being found. This point can be thought of as the "input" for the parametric equation, where the output would be the corresponding x and y coordinates on the curve.

4. What is the significance of the sine functions in the given parametric curve?

The sine functions in the parametric curve represent the relationship between the x and y coordinates on the curve. In this case, the x coordinate is represented by 2sin(2t) and the y coordinate is represented by 2sin(t). The specific values of t determine the values of x and y, creating a unique relationship between the two coordinates.

5. How does the given point on the curve relate to the tangent line?

The given point (√3,1) is the point where the tangent line touches the curve. This means that the slope of the tangent line at this point is equal to the derivative of the curve at that point. The point (√3,1) is used in the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.