Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] MHB awards 2012

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
When are we going to have MHB award ceremony this year? like Galois award, algebra award etc?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
When are we going to have MHB award ceremony this year? like Galois award, algebra award etc?
Hi caffeinemachine,

Thank you for bringing this up. I was planning on posting about this this week so it's perfect timing. The short answer concerning 2012 is that it looks like we won't have awards this year. There are a couple of reasons for that - 1) Low number of members available to vote right now, 2) We are considering starting from scratch and changing a lot about the way awards will be given out.

I think this thread is a good place to talk about how we can improve on the way things were done elsewhere. Some things the upper-level staff has discussed already: not making the awards so competitive that not winning can cause bitterness, limiting the number of categories, focusing on non-staff members, giving out the awards multiple times a year instead of once.

Those are some ideas we had but nothing is set yet so if anyone has thoughts on the matter I would welcome them. :)

Jameson

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I feel bad if this is disappointing to anyone so I'll talk to our team and see if there is a way to show our gratitude to our dedicated members in another way besides badges for this year. Next year, 2013, will definitely be structured better in regards to awards and if we decide on a frequency higher than once a year the wait won't be as long.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The way we handled the awards this year was by mentioning some people in our end of the year announcement. We still need to decide the best way to do awards and didn't want to rush the decision, so this was the best we could do. Once we figure out how the awards will be done in the future we will definitely let you all know. :)

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
well i, for one, am disappoint. no free toaster this year! (Headbang)

(to those of you who don't get this: banks used to give away free prizes such as toasters or coffee makers to people who opened an account with them when they first opened. sadly, such traditions have passed away in our ever more competitive economy).