Metal Toxicity: Handling Cobalt and Tungsten Safely without Gloves

In summary, it is safe to handle small blocks of pure cobalt and pure tungsten, but they are more dangerous when used as clubs. There are no long-term effects from handling these metals.
Calpalned
Is it safe to not use a glove to handle a small block of pure cobalt metal? Is a pure tungsten rod safe too? Are there any long term effects?

Thank you so much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I just came across this picture of a guy holding a rod of pure cadmium metal.
cadrod.jpg

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=959

Isn't cadmium very poisonous? What are the consequences of touching it?

Salts are highly toxic, but metallic cadmium is relatively safe.

That is, rod as the one shown on the picture is much more dangerous when used as a club than because of its chemical properties.

Borek said:
That is, rod as the one shown on the picture is much more dangerous when used as a club than because of its chemical properties.
:DD

Toxic metals, such as thallium, that are dangerous to handle are usually "flagged" with unusual shapes, triangular cross-section rods for thallium, as well as being in containers with "Do not breathe dust! Do not dispose of in fire!" warnings all over them.

Calpalned said:
Is it safe to not use a glove to handle a small block of pure cobalt metal? Is a pure tungsten rod safe too? Are there any long term effects?

Thank you so much.

If you read Oliver Sacks memoir, "Uncle Tungsten," there is a nice story of young Oliver handling tungsten at his uncle's factory. Given that tungsten was used for years and years and years as the filament in incandescent light bulbs, I expect we would have found out about any minor toxicity of the metal coming from workers in light bulb factories. In the US, you would also be seeing commercials on late night television asking: "Have you or a loved one worked in the lightbulb industry? If so, you may be entitled to a large cash award..." Since none of this is happening, I expect it is safe to assume that tungsten is benign...

Related to Metal Toxicity: Handling Cobalt and Tungsten Safely without Gloves

1. What are the potential health risks associated with exposure to cobalt and tungsten?

Cobalt and tungsten are both heavy metals that can be toxic to humans. Exposure to these metals can cause respiratory issues, skin irritation, and damage to the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. In extreme cases, long-term exposure can lead to cancer.

2. How can I protect myself from exposure to cobalt and tungsten?

The best way to protect yourself from exposure to cobalt and tungsten is to wear proper personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator. It is also important to handle these metals in a well-ventilated area and to properly dispose of any contaminated materials.

3. Can I handle cobalt and tungsten safely without gloves?

No, it is not recommended to handle cobalt and tungsten without gloves. These metals can be absorbed through the skin and cause irritation or toxicity. It is important to always wear appropriate protective gear when working with these materials.

4. Are there any specific precautions I should take when handling cobalt and tungsten?

Yes, there are a few precautions that should be taken when handling cobalt and tungsten. These include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, avoiding ingestion or inhalation of the metals, and properly disposing of any contaminated materials.

5. What should I do if I suspect I have been exposed to cobalt and tungsten?

If you suspect you have been exposed to cobalt and tungsten, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. The symptoms of exposure may not be immediately apparent, so it is important to get checked by a healthcare professional to prevent any potential long-term health effects.