Producing other metals with thermite reactions

In summary: The most active metal turns out to be magnesium, which has a much lower reduction potential than aluminum. If a similar mix of aluminum oxide (alumina) and a more reactive metal than aluminum were used, would it produce the same effect? would it require a higher ignition temperature, or lower? would it be volatile, even?The reaction is not very well controlled even with the standard Al/Fe2O3 mixture. I can't imagine it would be more controlled with magnesium. Also, magnesium boils at ~1360 K (cf. aluminum ~2740 K), so the reaction would likely produce gaseous magnesium (no bueno). In addition, depending on how much heat/how quickly energy is released,
some bloke
Hello all,

I am curious as to whether it is possible to create aluminium from a thermite reaction.

Thermite, as standard, uses aluminium and iron oxide, which react together when burnt to create a blob of molten iron. I would like to achieve a similar result, but with a blob of molten aluminium as the end product.

I assume that the reaction is the result of the much more reactive aluminium pulling the oxygen from the iron oxide, and so creating aluminium oxide and iron. If a similar mix of aluminium oxide (alumina) and a more reactive metal than aluminium were used, would it produce the same effect? would it require a higher ignition temperature, or lower? would it be volatile, even?

Note - my final aim, if this is plausible, is to produce less than a teaspoon's worth of the mix, suspended in a flux to a thixotropic gel-like consistency, then use it to try and develop a localised welding technique for cosmetic welding of aluminium, IE filling small holes, in areas which cannot be accessed by conventional TIG welders.

I will understand if this thread is removed, as thermite is not a particularly safe mixture. I did check the posting rules and suspect this one will fall under "to be watched closely".

Chemistry news on Phys.org
People have done thermite reactions with magnesium, which has a lower (as in more negative) reduction potential than aluminum, so at least thermodynamically, in principle the reaction:
$$Al_2O_3 + 3Mg \longrightarrow 2Al + 3MgO$$
is feasible. I don't know if anyone's tried it, though.

TeethWhitener said:
People have done thermite reactions with magnesium, which has a lower (as in more negative) reduction potential than aluminum, so at least thermodynamically, in principle the reaction:
$$Al_2O_3 + 3Mg \longrightarrow 2Al + 3MgO$$
is feasible. I don't know if anyone's tried it, though.

Thanks for the formula, I'm stretching back to my long-since faded chemistry education and am I right in thinking that I will need the molar mass of these elements, then use this to determine the mass of each part to create the correct mixture?

Can anyone speculate as to the result if I were to have too much alumina or too much magnesium? would it simply leave some unreacted, or could it have more dramatic effects?

some bloke said:
could it have more dramatic effects
Molten magnesium in air could have very dramatic effects:

The reaction is not very well controlled even with the standard Al/Fe2O3 mixture. I can't imagine it would be more controlled with magnesium. Also, magnesium boils at ~1360 K (cf. aluminum ~2740 K), so the reaction would likely produce gaseous magnesium (no bueno). In addition, depending on how much heat/how quickly energy is released, the reaction could run significantly hotter than a standard thermite reaction (~2500 K) and boil the aluminum as well, which in no possible world ends well.

ah, yes, boiling the aluminium would certainly be a bad result. I hope that the small quantities I'm considering using would prevent the reaction from forming too much heat, though. I imagine that a cupful of this stuff would be problematic, but a teaspoonful, I hope, would dissipate its heat quickly enough to not boil.

The alternative I thought of, which is much more difficult to safely construct, would be to use a microwave generator to excite aluminium suspended in a flux, causing it to melt and weld onto the aluminium surface to which it was applied (the flux having stripped the oxide layer), but that has waaaay more safety concerns than thermite (which is saying something!).

some bloke said:
but that has waaaay more safety concerns than thermite (which is saying something!).
I’m not so sure that’s true. The problem with the reaction being so much hotter than the boiling point of magnesium is that there’s a chance the magnesium won’t just boil, but superheat and spray molten magnesium and aluminum all over the place.

The microwave method is a neat idea, but I’m not sure how the energy isn’t just going to dissipate into the bulk of the aluminum immediately.

Bystander said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite , see Goldschmidt Reaction; little tough to find "oxidants" less noble than Al.

Searching for reducers:
Al2O3 enthalpy of formation -1675 kJ/mol, making -558 kJ/mol O (linked Wikipedia to Zumdahl), Al boils at 2470 degrees
BeO enthalpy -599 kJ/mol, Be boils at 2470 degrees
MgO enthalpy -602 kJ/mol, Mg boils at 1090 degrees
CaO enthalpy -635 kJ/mol, Ca boils at 1484 degrees
SrO enthalpy -592 kJ/mol, Sr boils at 1377 degrees
BaO enthalpy -582 kJ/mol, Ba boils at 1845 degrees
Li2O enthalpy -596 kJ/mol, Li boils at 1330 degrees
Na2O enthalpy -416 kJ/mol (sic!, also Zumdahl), Na boils at 883 degrees
K2O enthalpy -363 kJ/mol, K boils at 759 degrees

Note:
Alkali metals other than Li have only small affinity for oxygen. Heating metal oxides with metallic Na or K is likely to not work with moderately active metals!
The most active metal turns out to be Ca. And Ca has fairly high boiling point - higher than Mg.
While Ca is fairly reactive in wet air, not so much as Na. So, how useful are thermites based on metallic Ca?

Here's an interesting youtube video where the youtubers attempt to cast a small silver object from silver oxide in a thermite reaction. Ultimately, they didn't get it to work (though they did produce silver), but perhaps it has some useful information you could use:

snorkack said:
So, how useful are thermites based on metallic Ca?
Probably comparable to magnesium, but magnesium is significantly cheaper.
Ygggdrasil said:
Here's an interesting youtube video where the youtubers attempt to cast a small silver object from silver oxide in a thermite reaction. Ultimately, they didn't get it to work (though they did produce silver), but perhaps it has some useful information you could use:

But silver oxide decomposes to the elements at like 200°C, even without a reducing agent, so Why the thermite? (Other than the temperature needed to melt the silver)

Likes Ygggdrasil
TeethWhitener said:
But silver oxide decomposes to the elements at like 200°C, even without a reducing agent, so Why the thermite? (Other than the temperature needed to melt the silver)

Because the point of YouTube is to make videos that look cool and get clicks, not to do something practical.

Likes jim mcnamara
Aluminium was first made by the reaction of aluminium oxide with potassium amalgam, but later by the reaction with sodium, so it's possible.
Our school safety organisation advises against many alternative thermit reactions these days so it is worth checking.

tech99 said:
Aluminium was first made by the reaction of aluminium oxide with potassium amalgam, but later by the reaction with sodium, so it's possible.
No.
Aluminum chloride.

Likes tech99

1. How does a thermite reaction produce other metals?

A thermite reaction is a chemical reaction in which a metal oxide and a reducing agent, usually aluminum, are heated to a high temperature to produce molten metal. The aluminum reduces the metal oxide, releasing oxygen and forming new metal. This process is known as a thermite reaction and is commonly used to produce other metals such as iron, copper, and titanium.

2. What is the purpose of using a thermite reaction to produce other metals?

Using a thermite reaction to produce other metals has several advantages. It is a cost-effective method, as it requires minimal equipment and materials. It also produces pure metals without the need for additional refining processes. Additionally, thermite reactions are highly exothermic, meaning they release a large amount of heat, making it a useful method for welding and cutting metals.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when producing other metals with thermite reactions?

Thermite reactions involve high temperatures and can be dangerous if not conducted properly. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a face shield, to avoid exposure to the hot molten metal. The reaction should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area to prevent the buildup of toxic fumes. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.

4. Can any metal be produced using a thermite reaction?

No, not all metals can be produced using a thermite reaction. The metal oxide used must have a lower reduction potential than aluminum for the reaction to occur. This means that only certain metals, such as iron, copper, and titanium, can be produced using this method. Other metals with higher reduction potentials, such as gold and silver, cannot be produced with thermite reactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of producing other metals with thermite reactions?

Thermite reactions have various real-world applications. They are commonly used in the railway industry to weld train tracks together. They are also used in the production of welding rods, as well as in the manufacturing of fireworks and pyrotechnic displays. Additionally, thermite reactions can be used in the production of specialty metals for specific industries, such as aerospace and electronics.