Is bismuth safe to handle (touching, carrying it around....)?

In summary: K. I. H. P. de GrootIn summary, bismuth is a heavy metal that has low toxicity for being a heavy metal. It also has interesting properties that make it a popular choice for various applications.
BetaZeta2016
I recently received a 200g sample of pure (99.99%) bismuth for my little element collection.
This thing is so cool!

It was all broken in pieces and almost powdered, so i melted it into a beautiful ingot using my kitchen stove.

Is this metal safe to touch and/or handle with bare, unprotected hands?
And also, will the alpha particles coming from the sample do any harm to me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Based on the Bismuth's Wiki article on Toxicology and Ecotoxicology, it looks relatively safe.

Scientific literature concurs that bismuth and most of its compounds are less toxic compared to other heavy metals (lead, antimony, etc.) and that it is not bioaccumulative.
With "less toxic" being the key phrase here. That doesn't mean that it can't harm you in sufficient quantities or with careless handling.
BetaZeta2016 said:
t was all broken in pieces and almost powdered, so i melted it into a beautiful ingot using my kitchen stove.
I wouldn't use that pan for cooking anything else. :wideeyed:

Likes BetaZeta2016
There are no alpha particles being emitted by Bismuth as Bismuth isn't radioactive.

DrDu said:
There are no alpha particles being emitted by Bismuth as Bismuth isn't radioactive.
Yes, for all practical purposes.
Bismuth has long been considered as the element with the highest atomic mass that is stable. However, in 2003 it was discovered to be weakly radioactive: its only primordial isotope, bismuth-209, decays via alpha decay with a half life more than a billion times the estimated age of the universe.
Weakly radioactive is a heck of an understatement here - that's a long half-life! :wideeyed:

Likes BetaZeta2016
Borg said:
Based on the Bismuth's Wiki article on Toxicology and Ecotoxicology, it looks relatively safe.With "less toxic" being the key phrase here. That doesn't mean that it can't harm you in sufficient quantities or with careless handling.
I wouldn't use that pan for cooking anything else. :wideeyed:
Well, the bismuth didn't stick to the pan. I just knocked it in the bottom and the whole ingot fell off, with no leftovers.
Then i washed the pan thoroughly and it's ready for use with food again.I also wash my hands after handling it.

I just melted it so it is easier to handle and to make sure no dust or powder will be generated, that would be bad.

BetaZeta2016 said:
Well, the bismuth didn't stick to the pan. I just knocked it in the bottom and the whole ingot fell off, with no leftovers.
Then i washed the pan thoroughly and it's ready for use with food again.

Just because it didn't stick doesn't mean it is not contaminated.

I can only repeat what Borg said: I wouldn't use that pan for cooking anything else.

Likes BetaZeta2016 and Borg
Borek said:
Just because it didn't stick doesn't mean it is not contaminated.

I can only repeat what Borg said: I wouldn't use that pan for cooking anything else.

I understand. And will throw the pan away.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Likes Borek and Borg
DrDu said:
Bismuth IS radioactive.Just like a billion billion time longer than the age of the universe.Lead-209(i think)IS the heaviest stable isotope so far.

Just wear gloves.

Why does everybody have the jeebs about bismuth all of a sudden? I'll bet a lot of people have this in their medicine cabinet:

0030149003916_500X500.jpg

For years, bismuth minded its own business. Now, everybody's all up in bismuth's business about being radioactive or toxic. Its toxicity is quite low for being a heavy metal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth

Fun fact: bismuth expands when it freezes, like water does.

Likes fedaykin and Bystander
Yes bismuth is safe to touch.

There are several aloys of bismuth and tin that have interesting properties. One where when the metal freezes (solidifies) it first shrinks then over a period of hours expands to the size of the mold. It was once used to examine rifling. I think it's amazing.

This isn't exactly the alloy I was thinking of but it has similar properties first shrinking after solidifying then over the course of hours expanding.

42.5% Bi
37.7% Pb
11.3% Sn
8.5% Cd

This came from google books
Technology: Handbook of Vacuum Physics
edited by A. H. Beck

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-22_6-3-35.png
    upload_2015-10-22_6-3-35.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,460

Related to Is bismuth safe to handle (touching, carrying it around....)?

1. What are the potential health risks of handling bismuth?

Bismuth is generally considered to be a low-toxicity element and poses minimal health risks to humans. However, handling bismuth in its powdered form may cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It is important to wash your hands after handling bismuth and avoid inhaling the dust.

2. Can bismuth be absorbed through the skin?

Yes, bismuth can be absorbed through the skin, especially in its powdered form. However, the amount that can be absorbed is generally very small and not considered to be a significant health risk. If you have sensitive skin or are concerned about potential exposure, it is recommended to wear gloves while handling bismuth.

3. Is it safe to carry bismuth around with me?

In solid form, bismuth is generally safe to carry around with you. However, if you are carrying it in powdered form, it is important to ensure that it is contained in a sealed container to avoid any potential skin or inhalation exposure. Additionally, if you are carrying a large amount of powdered bismuth, it is best to avoid prolonged exposure and wash your hands after handling it.

4. Are there any long-term health effects of handling bismuth?

There is no evidence to suggest any long-term health effects from handling bismuth. In fact, bismuth is commonly used in medical procedures and has been deemed safe for human use by the FDA. However, it is always important to use caution and minimize exposure to any substance.

5. What should I do if I accidentally ingest bismuth?

If you accidentally ingest bismuth, it is important to seek medical attention if you experience any adverse symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. Bismuth is not considered to be highly toxic, but it is always best to err on the side of caution and consult with a medical professional.

Back