Merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction.

In summary, a rotating platform with a radius of 2.0 meters and a moment of inertia of 200 kg m2 is given an initial rotation rate of 1.0 radians per second. A small brick with a mass of 50 kg is placed on the platform at a distance of 0.5 meters from the rotation axis. The brick initially slides but eventually stops sliding at a distance of 1.0 meters from the axis. To find the amount of mechanical energy converted to heat, the equations for moment of inertia, conservation of angular momentum, and work-energy theorem are used. The solution involves calculating the initial and final moment of inertia, angular velocity, and change in kinetic energy. The final solution shows that 15
AbigailM

Homework Statement

The picture shows a rotating platform that serves as a playground
merry go round. The platform rotates on low-friction bearings about its center
axis. It has a radius of 2.0 meters, and its moment of inertia about the center
axis is 200 kg m2.

Suppose that the platform is given an initial rotation rate of 1.0 radians per
second. A small dense brick having a mass of 50 kg, initially at rest, is then
placed on the platform at a distance of 0.5 meters from the rotation axis. The
brick initially slides, but eventually stops sliding at a distance 1.0 m from the
axis. How many Joules of mechanical energy are converted to heat?

Homework Equations

[itex]I_{brick}=mr^{2}[/itex]

[itex]L_{i}=L_{f}=>I_{i}\omega_{i}=I_{f}\omega_{f}[/itex] (cons. of angular momentum)

[itex]ΔK=-fx +W_{ext}[/itex] (work-energy theorem)

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]I_{brick i}=(50kg)(0.25m^{2})=12.5kg.m^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{brick f}=(50kg)(1m^{2})=50kg.m^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{i}=I_{disk i}+I_{brick i}=212.5kg.m^{2}[/itex]

[itex]I_{f}=I_{disk f}+I_{brick f}=250kg.m^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\omega_{f}=\frac{I_{i}}{I_{f}}\omega_{i}=0.85\frac{rad}{s}[/itex]

[itex]ΔK=-fx[/itex] (no external work, just friction)

[itex]\frac{1}{2}I_{i}\omega_{i}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}I_{f}\omega_{f}^{2}=15.94 J[/itex]

Just wondering if my solution method is looking ok. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
AbigailM said:

Suppose that the platform is given an initial rotation rate of 1.0 radians per
second. A small dense brick having a mass of 50 kg, initially at rest, is then
placed on the platform at a distance of 0.5 meters from the rotation axis. The
brick initially slides, but eventually stops sliding at a distance 1.0 m from the
axis.

The wording here might be open to interpretation. I'm thinking that the brick is initially at rest with respect to the Earth when it is let go at 0.5 m from the axis. It is therefore slipping on the platform until friction finally brings it to rest relative to the platform at 1.0 m from the axis. If so, would the brick contribute to the initial angular momentum?

Related to Merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction.

1. What is a merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction?

A merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction is a type of playground equipment that consists of a rotating circular platform with a central pole or axis. The platform is typically made of bricks or other materials and has a smooth surface for sliding.

2. How does sliding friction affect the movement of the merry-go-round?

Sliding friction occurs when two surfaces are in contact and one surface moves against the other. In the case of a merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction, the friction between the platform and the ground causes resistance and slows down the rotation of the platform.

3. What is the purpose of using bricks in a merry-go-round with sliding friction?

The bricks on the platform of a merry-go-round with sliding friction provide a rough surface for children to hold onto while the platform is spinning. This allows them to maintain their grip and stay on the merry-go-round without slipping off.

4. How does the weight of the platform and bricks affect the sliding friction?

The weight of the platform and bricks can affect the amount of sliding friction. Heavier platforms and bricks will have a greater force of friction, which can slow down the rotation of the merry-go-round. However, if the platform is too heavy, it may not rotate at all due to the increased friction.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction?

As with any playground equipment, there are potential safety concerns with a merry-go-round with brick and sliding friction. Children should always be supervised while using it and should be instructed on how to safely hold onto the bricks while the platform is spinning. Additionally, the platform should be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure the safety of its users.