Mercury Sable RC steering help

In summary, Zac is working on turning a car into a RC car and is having trouble with the steering. He is considering mounting a servo in the steering column to allow for manual control.
Gigabyte111
hey, i need some help with a project i am working on.

what i am trying to do is take a full size car and turn it into a RC car. however, inorder to keep the car street legal, i need to keep all the controls operable by a person. i am using only off the shelf parts and servos that you can buy at most hobby shops. hardly anything is custom made. i have already successfully set up the control for the pedals, using a cable that pulls the pedal down as it is reeled in by a winching servo. that way i can still press on the pedals manually without interference with the servos. i will include a diagram later to show how that works.

however, my problem is with the steering. i can't find any way to connect the high torque 3.5 rotation servo to the steering shaft without destroying the streetability of the car.

ill give you as much information about the car as possible so you might better understand what I am doing

1993 Mercury Sable 179k miles
v6 fuel injected (blown head gasket)
automatic transmission with 4 gears
power steering
airbags have been removed
steering wheel attaches with a singe bolt torqued to 23-33 ft-lb
4000 rpm max before rev limiter kicks in
8 inches of non turning steering column are exposed. this is where I am considering mounting the servo...
fuel cut off valve has been rewired to a remote starting device, so i can kill the car in the event it losses contact with the transmitter
wireless camera soon to be mounted on the dashboard
(as soon as the company sends me one that ISNT defective)
any thing else you want to know about the car just ask.

my ultimate goal with this project is turning the car into a drive-by-wire system. i want to do this, because eventually it will become an autonomous vehicle, possibly i will even enter it into the DARPA grand challenge.

thanks for all your help.
~Zac~

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds interesting, Gigabyte.
Can't you just include a clutch in the steering servo linkage so that you can de-couple it for manual driving?

You could look into handicap accessible auto modifications.
Some of these provide joystick control.

Related to Mercury Sable RC steering help

1. What is the purpose of the RC steering in a Mercury Sable?

The RC (Remote Control) steering in a Mercury Sable allows the driver to control the direction of the vehicle without physically being inside the car. This is commonly used in remote-controlled cars for entertainment purposes.

2. How does the RC steering system work in a Mercury Sable?

The RC steering system in a Mercury Sable is controlled by a transmitter, which sends signals to a receiver in the car. The receiver then translates these signals to the steering servo, which turns the wheels of the car in the desired direction.

3. Is it possible to upgrade the RC steering system in a Mercury Sable?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade the RC steering system in a Mercury Sable. There are various aftermarket options available that can improve the range, responsiveness, and overall performance of the RC steering system.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with the RC steering system in my Mercury Sable?

If you are experiencing problems with the RC steering system in your Mercury Sable, first check the batteries in the transmitter and receiver. If they are fully charged, then check for any loose connections or damaged components. You may also need to recalibrate the steering system or replace any faulty parts.

5. Is it safe to use the RC steering system while driving the Mercury Sable?

No, it is not safe to use the RC steering system while driving the Mercury Sable. The RC steering system is designed for use in remote-controlled cars and should not be used while driving a full-sized vehicle. Always use the traditional steering wheel and controls when operating a Mercury Sable on the road.