Need help understanding the thermodinamics implications of an intercooler

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with modifying their BMW Z3 car by installing a Roots type supercharger kit. The kit generates a constant 8PSI of positive pressure in the intake manifold and is not intercooled. The speaker is considering adding an intercooler to reduce the intake charge temperature and make the air denser. They have questions regarding the potential changes in pressure and engine torque, as well as how fueling is affected. The speaker also mentions working for a company that specializes in designing charge air coolers for large diesel engines.
ZetaTre
Hello everyone,
I am a car entusiast who likes to turn wrenches and modify things, but I like to do it first by understanding the teory behind each one of my projects.

Here's the case study I would like to get some help on:

The car is a BMW Z3 with a 4 cylinder 1.9 liters engine. Few months ago I supercharged the car with a kit based on an Eaton/Magnuson MP62 Gen 3 Roots type supercharger.

Roots type superchargers are positive displacement - volume of air pumped per revolution is constant and in this case equal to 62cubic inches or 1 liter - and have no internal compression - which means it just moves air; positive pressure in the intake manifold is built through resonance: the volume pumped per revolution is more than the engine uses, thus pressure rises until the equilibrium is reached -.

The current gear ratio (pulley on the SC / crank pulley) generates 8PSI or 0.54bar of positive pressure in the intake manifold. Being positive displacement it also cause such pressure to remain constant throughout the RPM range; due to losses when the SC is not spinning fast enough pressure actually reaches the 8PSI around 3K RPM (engine RPM) and remain constant all the way to engine redline (6500RPM).

Because Roots type uses the resonance effect to build positive pressure they are also very inefficient. Efficiecy (IIRC) is around 70%. I haven't done any empirical testing on how much the temperature rises, but the manufacturer of the kit claims 21 deg C above ambient temperature - it seems a little low, but I don't have fact around it.

The kit is not intercooled (adding an intercooler is actually the subject of this thread).

Bottom line: we have 0.54bar of delta P and 21 deg C of delta T.

So, let's assume I add an intercooler with an efficienct of 80%: this means I will be able to reduce the intake charge by about 13 deg C, thus making it 9 deg C above ambient.

Now I have a cooler air that it's denser. Since I haven't changed the gearing ratio of the SC, volume is constant.

Q1: what should I expect to happen to delta P (let's assume 0 losses from passing the air through the intercooler) based on the laws of thermodynamics?

Q2: by simply cooling the air charge would I notice any change on the engine torque? If so why? Again I would like to understand what the laws of thermodynamics say on this regard.

As a side note, a few details on how fueling is done. The car has electronic fuel injection. There is a mass air flow (MAF) sensor before the supercharger that senses how much air goes through. The engine control unit (ECU) uses such measurement to calculate the injector's cycle (how long they need to remain open) to achieve a 12:1 (12 unit of air per unit of fuel) air fuel ratio (AFR). Thus what happens to the air AFTER the MAF sensor doesn't affect the AFR.

This should be enough details, but let me know if I'm missing something...

Thanks for any idea!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you need any help or have any questions regarding the turbo charge air cooler maybe I can help. I work for a company who manufactures and designs charge air coolers for large diesel engines called Vestas aircoil.

Related to Need help understanding the thermodinamics implications of an intercooler

What is an intercooler and how does it work?

An intercooler is a heat exchanger used in turbocharged and supercharged engines. Its purpose is to cool the compressed air entering the engine, which increases its density and allows for more efficient combustion. The intercooler works by passing the compressed air through a series of tubes or fins, which are cooled by either air or liquid.

What are the thermodynamic implications of using an intercooler?

Using an intercooler affects the thermodynamic properties of the engine in a few different ways. First, it reduces the temperature of the air entering the engine, which increases its density and therefore increases the amount of oxygen available for combustion. This leads to a more efficient combustion process and increased power output. Second, the intercooler also reduces the risk of engine knock, as cooler air is less prone to pre-ignition. Finally, using an intercooler can also increase the overall efficiency of the engine, improving fuel economy.

How does an intercooler impact the performance of a vehicle?

An intercooler can significantly improve the performance of a vehicle. By cooling the compressed air entering the engine, it allows for more efficient combustion and increased power output. This results in a faster acceleration and higher top speed. Additionally, using an intercooler can also improve the durability and longevity of the engine, as it reduces the risk of engine knock and overheating.

What are the different types of intercoolers?

There are two main types of intercoolers: air-to-air and air-to-water. Air-to-air intercoolers are the most common, and they use ambient air to cool the compressed air. Air-to-water intercoolers, on the other hand, use a liquid coolant to cool the compressed air. This type of intercooler is more efficient but also more complex and expensive to install.

What are some common issues or challenges associated with using an intercooler?

One of the main challenges with using an intercooler is the potential for pressure drop. As the compressed air passes through the intercooler, it experiences a decrease in pressure, which can affect the overall performance of the engine. Another issue is the possibility of heat soak, where the intercooler becomes too hot and is unable to effectively cool the compressed air. This can be mitigated by using a larger intercooler or adding a heat shield. Additionally, intercoolers can also add weight and complexity to the engine, which may impact the overall design and packaging of the vehicle.