Melting Ice Exam Help: Get Verified Answers for Last Year's Questions - Sarah

In summary, Sarah is studying for an exam and is unsure whether she is getting the questions right. She asks other students if they can verify the answers to some of the questions.
sarahisme
Hi all, i am currently studying for an exam, and so i am going over the questions in last years exam. Unfortunately we were not given the answers, so i am not sure whether i am getting the questions right.
If its not too much trouble, and someone has a bit of time to spare, could they verify the answers to some of the questions i put up?

Thanks
Sarah

my first question is this:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6000/picture900gz.th.png
my answers are:
(a) 0.063kg of ice melt
(b) 4 moles
(c) 14940 J
(d) 83.1 J/K

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chemistry is not my thing. I get a different answer for the first one but I don't know if my method is right. Perhaps you see something in it though.

I figured that 0.5kg of 600K lead has 38.4kJ of heat. The freezing of the lead removes 12.4kJ or so, which leaves 26kJ. Melting ice requires 334.5kJ/kg, so that gives me 0.078kg. Take from it what you will.

vertigo said:
Chemistry is not my thing. I get a different answer for the first one but I don't know if my method is right. Perhaps you see something in it though.
I figured that 0.5kg of 600K lead has 38.4kJ of heat. The freezing of the lead removes 12.4kJ or so, which leaves 26kJ. Melting ice requires 334.5kJ/kg, so that gives me 0.078kg. Take from it what you will.
this isn't meant to be chemistry, lol, it is a physics course, though i spose this is a very 'chemistry' part of it.

yeah i think my answer for (a) might be wrong.

how did you come up with :
"I figured that 0.5kg of 600K lead has 38.4kJ of heat"

i guess you did it by using q = mc(delta T)

where delta T = 600 K

so we use absolute zero then, hmm interesting! :)

your method makes a lot of sense :D

Last edited:
(a) I get 99 g
(b) correct
(c) righto
(d) yes.

Chi Meson said:
(a) I get 99 g
(b) correct
(c) righto
(d) yes.

cool, how did you get your 99g?

oh and how are you guys on relativity? :P

Look at the units of 0.128 kJ/(kg.K), to get kJ out of that you multiply by kg and K. 0.5kg * 600K * 0.128 = ?

vertigo said:
Look at the units of 0.128 kJ/(kg.K), to get kJ out of that you multiply by kg and K. 0.5kg * 600K * 0.128 = ?

ok, yep i see that , cheers :)

would it be cool if i asked some relativity questions aswell?

Sure, but start a new thread. If it is just a general question on SR, you should ask it in the SR forum. IF it is homework help you need, then ask it here.

edit: P.S. Special relativity and General Relativity is a sub-forum under "Astronomy and Cosmology"

k. thanks :)

Related to Melting Ice Exam Help: Get Verified Answers for Last Year's Questions - Sarah

What is melting ice exam help?

Melting ice exam help is a resource that provides assistance and guidance for students who are studying topics related to melting ice, such as climate change, glaciology, and polar regions. It may include study tips, practice questions, and other resources to help students prepare for exams or better understand the subject matter.

Why is melting ice important?

Melting ice is important because it affects many aspects of our planet, including sea levels, weather patterns, and ecosystems. It is also a key indicator of climate change and its impact on the global environment. Understanding the process of melting ice is crucial for addressing these issues and finding solutions.

What are some common causes of melting ice?

Some common causes of melting ice include rising global temperatures, changes in ocean currents, and human activities such as deforestation and burning fossil fuels. These factors contribute to the loss of ice in polar regions and glaciers, leading to an increase in sea levels and other environmental consequences.

What are the consequences of melting ice?

The consequences of melting ice are far-reaching and include rising sea levels, loss of habitats for polar animals, changes in weather patterns, and disruptions to global ecosystems. It can also have economic impacts, such as coastal flooding and damage to infrastructure, as well as social and cultural impacts on communities that rely on ice for their way of life.

How can students prepare for a melting ice exam?

Students can prepare for a melting ice exam by studying relevant materials, such as textbooks, lecture notes, and online resources. It may also be helpful to practice with sample questions and seek assistance from professors or tutors. Additionally, staying informed about current events and developments in the field can provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter.