Calculate Final Temp of Water After Ice Melts: Help Requested

In summary: Looks good. (But get rid of the minus sign in front of the specific heat.) Don't forget to plug in the values for m and lf.In summary, the final temperature of the water when all the ice has melted is X.
jinx007
PLEASE HELP ME TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION I AM STUCK

An ice cube of 75 g is drop into a glass containing 330 g of water at a temperature of 22 ' Celsius. The ice is at 0 ' Celsius and melts so that the temperature of the water decreases.

Calculate the final temperature of the water when all the ice has melted. Assume that no heat lost to the glass or the surrounding.

Specific latent heat of fusion of ice = 3.3 x 10^5 J/kg

specific heat capacity of water = -4.2 x 10^3 J/kg K

Please help me i don't really know help to proceed

Physics news on Phys.org
Call the final temperature X.

How much energy is required to melt the ice?

How much energy is required to heat the melted ice water from 0 degrees to X?

How much energy must be removed from the warm water to bring it down from 22 degrees to the final temperature?

Doc Al said:
Call the final temperature X.

How much energy is required to melt the ice?

How much energy is required to heat the melted ice water from 0 degrees to X?

How much energy must be removed from the warm water to bring it down from 22 degrees to the final temperature?

Energy to melt ice to water at 0 ' Celsius = q = m lf

Energy to melt ice to water from 0 to X using q = mcQ
0.075 x -4.2 x 10^3 x( X - 0) The last part i cannot understand..please check whether i am on the right track, please explain to me a bit more in detail

Yes, you're on the right track. Hint: The energy you must add to the ice to melt it and then heat it up must equal the energy removed from the warm water.

You'll set up an energy equation and then solve for X.

Doc Al said:
Yes, you're on the right track. Hint: The energy you must add to the ice to melt it and then heat it up must equal the energy removed from the warm water.

You'll set up an energy equation and then solve for X.

"""...How much energy must be removed from the warm water to bring it down from 22 degrees to the final temperature?..."""

How should i calculate the energy that must be removed from the warm water to bring it from 22 to X

should i use q = mcQ
0.33 x -4.2 x 10^3 x ( 22 - Q )

by the way the upper part i understand.

jinx007 said:
How should i calculate the energy that must be removed from the warm water to bring it from 22 to X

should i use q = mcQ
0.33 x -4.2 x 10^3 x ( 22 - Q )
The equation you want is the same one that you used to find the heat you need to add to warm the ice water:

Q = mcΔT = mc(22 - X)

Doc Al said:
The equation you want is the same one that you used to find the heat you need to add to warm the ice water:

Q = mcΔT = mc(22 - X)

So if i round up all what i understand the answer should be like that:

m lf + 0.075 x -4.2x10^3 x (x-0) = 0.33 x -4.2 x 10^3 (22-x)

when i solve i will have the value of X that is the temperature

jinx007 said:
So if i round up all what i understand the answer should be like that:

m lf + 0.075 x -4.2x10^3 x (x-0) = 0.33 x -4.2 x 10^3 (22-x)

when i solve i will have the value of X that is the temperature
Looks good. (But get rid of the minus sign in front of the specific heat.) Don't forget to plug in the values for m and lf.

Related to Calculate Final Temp of Water After Ice Melts: Help Requested

1. How do I calculate the final temperature of water after ice melts?

To calculate the final temperature of water after ice melts, you need to know the mass of the ice, the initial temperature of the water, and the specific heat capacity of water. The formula is: final temperature = (mass of ice * heat of fusion) / (mass of ice * specific heat of water + mass of water * specific heat of water * (initial temperature of water - freezing point of water)).

2. What is the heat of fusion and how is it used in the calculation?

The heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change a substance from solid to liquid at its melting point. In the calculation of the final temperature of water after ice melts, the heat of fusion is used to determine the amount of heat needed to melt the ice.

3. Can I use this calculation for any amount of ice and water?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any amount of ice and water as long as you have the necessary information (mass of ice, initial temperature of water, and specific heat capacity of water).

4. What is the freezing point of water?

The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the temperature at which water changes from liquid to solid (ice).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the final temperature of water after ice melts?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the final temperature of water after ice melts, such as the initial temperature of the ice, the presence of impurities in the water, and the rate at which heat is transferred to the system. These factors may cause slight variations in the final temperature calculation.