Mechanical Energy and Newton's Laws

In summary: So you figured out that the horizontal component of F was not equal to T. What's the vertical component of F?In summary, a block of mass ##m## attached to a rope was dropped from point A and reached point B with a tension of ##T = 2 \cdot m \cdot g## before the rope broke. The length of the rope was ##L = 6cm##. The height ##h## where the rope broke was determined to be ##4cm## using the solution manual's method of using mechanical energy and the centripetal force. However, an alternative solution attempted to use the vectorial triangle composed of the tension, weight, and resultant force. It was discovered that the horizontal component of the resultant
DumSpiroSpero

Homework Statement

A block of mass ## m ##, attached to a rope, is dropped at the point A.
When the block reaches the point B, the tension is ## T = 2 \cdot m \cdot g ## and the rope broke at that same point.
If the length of the rope is ## L = 6cm ##, evaluate the height ## h ## where the rope broke.

DDTFdjH.jpg

Homework Equations

The solution's manual uses mechanical energy and the centripetal force ( ## T - m \cdot g \cdot sin\theta = \frac{m \cdot v^{2}}{2} ##). Since ## h = sin \theta \cdot L##, we find the height ## h = 4cm ##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand and agree with that solution, but I can't figure out why my solution is wrong.
Since ## W = m \cdot g ## is perpendicular to the horizontal line, we have a vectorial triangle composed by ## \vec{T}, \vec{W}, \vec{F}## (the green, red and purple vectors in the figure below, respectively), where F is the resultant force of T and W, i.e. ## \vec{F} = \vec{T} + \vec{P}## .
In this triangle, we have ## sin \theta = \frac{W}{T} = \frac{W}{2\cdot W} = \frac{1}{2}## and ##sin \theta = \frac{h}{L}##. Therefore, ## h = \frac{L}{2} = 3cm ##. I couldn't find my mistake.
qz7p1GQ.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You are assuming the net force, F, on the block is horizontal. If that were true in general, would the block ever have any vertical acceleration?

Thank you very much - for the welcome and for the solution. :)

After your comment, I noticed that in my figure the tension and the weight have similar lenghts. I redone it with more precise lenghts (T = 2W) and, indeed, it's impossible to the resultant vector to be horizontal in terms of vectors. (R is the real resultant vector, and F is the wrong one at my first attempt.)

5u3DiEF.png

OK, good.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is stored energy due to the position or state of an object, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

2. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles of physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How is mechanical energy related to Newton's laws?

Mechanical energy is directly related to Newton's laws of motion. The first law explains the concept of inertia, which is necessary for understanding potential energy. The second law relates force, mass, and acceleration, which are all factors in determining kinetic energy. And the third law explains the balance of forces in a system, which is essential for understanding conservation of energy.

4. Can mechanical energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of mechanical energy in a system will remain constant, even if it changes form.

5. How is mechanical energy used in everyday life?

Mechanical energy is used in many everyday activities, such as riding a bike, driving a car, or turning on a light switch. Machines and tools also rely on mechanical energy to function. Additionally, many renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric dams, harness mechanical energy to generate electricity.