Measuring Spring Elongation in a Water-Filled Beaker

In summary, a block of wood with a density of 675 kg/m3 and a mass of 4.63 kg is connected to a spring with a constant of 153 N/m, which is resting vertically on the bottom of a large beaker of water. By using Archimedes' principle and Hooke's law, it is found that the deflection of the spring is approximately 0.14 m when the system reaches static equilibrium.
DDS
A light spring of constant k = 153 N/m rests vertically on the bottom of a large beaker of water (as seen in the picture below).

An m=4.63 kg block of wood (density = 675 kg/m3) is connected to the spring and the mass-spring system is allowed to come to static equilibrium (b).
What is the elongation, ΔL, of the spring?

I have tried this but it doesn't seem to give me the right answer:

L= (Volume of water - mass of block/ K) * 9.81

can anyone please give me some detailed help?

Attachments

• fluids.png
    fluids.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Archimede's Principle? Use that to determine the weight of the block in the water and then use Hooke's Law to determine the deflection in the spring.

I am not. What is Archimede's Principle?

i have found his principle but how would i determine the amount of volume displaced?
i am using

w=D*V*g

The volume displaced is the volume of the block.

Specifically, you are looking for the buoyant force. It will be equal to the weight of the water displaced by the block.

what am i doing wrong here:

v=m/d
v=4.63/675
v=6.8959e-3

Fb=W=D*V*g
Fb=W=675*6.8959e-3*9.81
Fb=W=45.4203

now using Hookes Law:

F=-kx
-(45.4203/153)=x
x=-0.297 m

which is wrong any suggestions where i went wrong?

Your calculation for the buoyant force is incorrect. Think of it this way:

The block has a volume, that you already calculated, of V= 6.86x10^-3 m^3. How much does that same volume of water weigh? That is going to be:
[tex]F_b = (\rho_{water} )(V_{block})(g)[/tex]

[tex]F_b = (1000 \frac{kg}{m^3})(6.86x10^-3 m^3)(9.81 \frac{m}{s^2})[/tex]

[tex]F_b = 67.3 N [/tex]

Now go back and use Hooke's Law to recalculate the deflection. I get .44 m for delta L.

hmm that's odd wen i put the asnwer in , it says its incorect

ive tired both positive and negative versions as well

any ideas where we went wrong?

ive gone over the calculations and they all seem correct...could it be a matter of units?

can anyone tell me where i went wrong??

DDS said:
can anyone tell me where i went wrong??

I think you failed to include the weight of the block as a force acting downward. The net force on the block is the spring force plus weight (downward) plus buoyant force (upward).

So

w=mg
=4.63*9.81
=45.4

45.4+67.3 =112.7203

F=-(kx)
-(112/153)=x
x=0.736 m ??

is this correct because i only have one attempt left

DDS said:
So

x=0.736 m ??

is this correct because i only have one attempt left

No. Draw the forces acting on the block. Be careful with the directions.

okay the negative direction of that is it correct... because the fources acting on the block are:

Fb=up
Fsp=down
Fg=down

however i feel that the negative direction of that answer is incorrect

can anyone please verify

a verification or further suggestion would help because i have afeeling its wrong

DDS said:
hmm that's odd wen i put the asnwer in , it says its incorect

ive tired both positive and negative versions as well

any ideas where we went wrong?
Sorry. I fat-fingered my answer. I get a deflection of .14m, not .44m.

In my FBD, I have 3 forces acting: the buoyant force (Fb) acting in the positive direction, the weight of the block (W) acting in the negative direction and the spring force (Fs) acting in the negative direction.

[tex]F_B - W - F_s = 0[/tex]

[tex]67.3 N - (4.63)(9.81) - F_s = 0[/tex]

[tex]67.3 - 45.4 - F_s = 0[/tex]

[tex]F_s = 21.9 N[/tex]

[tex]F_s = k \Delta L[/tex]

[tex]21.9 N = 153 \frac{N}{m} \Delta L[/tex]

[tex]\Delta L = .14 m [/tex]

Does that answer jive? Hopefully I haven't missed anything...

Thats what i had and was waiting for someone to verify , thanks so much

Related to Measuring Spring Elongation in a Water-Filled Beaker

1. How do you measure spring elongation in a water-filled beaker?

To measure spring elongation in a water-filled beaker, you will need a ruler or measuring tape, a spring, and a water-filled beaker. First, attach one end of the spring to the bottom of the beaker and the other end to a fixed point above the beaker. Next, gently lower the beaker into the water until it is completely submerged. Use the ruler to measure the distance between the bottom of the beaker and the fixed point. This distance represents the spring elongation.

2. What is the purpose of measuring spring elongation in a water-filled beaker?

The purpose of measuring spring elongation in a water-filled beaker is to determine the displacement of the spring due to the weight of the beaker and the water. This can be used to calculate the buoyant force acting on the beaker and to study the effects of buoyancy on different objects.

3. How does the density of the liquid affect the spring elongation measurement?

The density of the liquid does not directly affect the spring elongation measurement. However, the density of the liquid does affect the buoyant force acting on the beaker, which in turn affects the spring elongation. A denser liquid will result in a greater buoyant force and a larger spring elongation.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the spring elongation measurement?

The accuracy of the spring elongation measurement can be affected by various factors such as the precision of the ruler or measuring tape, the position of the fixed point, and any external forces acting on the beaker or the spring. It is important to minimize these factors to obtain an accurate measurement.

5. How can the data from measuring spring elongation in a water-filled beaker be used?

The data from measuring spring elongation in a water-filled beaker can be used to calculate the buoyant force acting on the beaker, which can then be used to study the principles of buoyancy. It can also be used to compare the densities of different liquids or to investigate the effects of varying the weight or size of the beaker on the spring elongation.