Conservation of momentum - Vertical spring

In summary: The impact would cause the spring to stretch less, and the system would be in equilibrium at a shorter extension.
danielbaker453

Homework Statement

A block of mass 200g is suspended through a vertical spring. The spring is stretched by 1.0 cm when the block is in equilibrium. A particle of mass 120g is dropped on the block from a height of 45 cm. The particle sticks to the block after the impact. Find the maximum extension of the spring. Take g=10 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

Initial Momentum of system = Final Momentum of system
Ui+Ki=Uf+Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the spring is initially in equilibrium,
kxi = Mg
using this we can find the spring constant.
Also, at the point of maximum elongation,
kxf=(M+m)g
using this we can find the maximum elongation.
The answer I get is 1.6 cm which is wrong (the correct answer is 6.1 cm). When I looked at the solution, I saw that conservation of momentum was applied first and then conservation of energy. But, I don't see why the momentum can be conserved. There is a net external force on the system because of gravity.
Could someone explain to me what is wrong with my approach and also why momentum conservation can be applied in this case?
Here is a diagram of this problem I drew
IMG_20170306_203905396.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an inelastic collision when the particle strikes the block so conservation of energy does not apply. Momentum is conserved during the collision, however.

If you drop a weight from some height onto a spring, do you think it will directly go to the equilibrium position?

No. Not directly but only after the kinetic energy of the system becomes zero.

danielbaker453 said:
There is a net external force on the system because of gravity.
At the moment of collision, the net external force is zero: gravity is canceled by the force the ceiling exerts. But you are correct: the conservation of momentum is indeed not applicable over a time interval > 0. Only at the moment of collision, which is probably what they do in the book solution (that I can't see) to calculate the kinetic energy of the block + particle after the inelastic collision

[edit]Tom's faster, but we agree.

Likes danielbaker453
danielbaker453 said:
No. Not directly but only after the kinetic energy of the system becomes zero.
Is there any mention of damping?

BvU said:
At the moment of collision, the net external force is zero: gravity is canceled by the force the ceiling exerts. But you are correct: the conservation of momentum is indeed not applicable over a time interval > 0. Only at the moment of collision, which is probably what they do in the book solution (that I can't see) to calculate the kinetic energy of the block + particle after the inelastic collision

[edit]Tom's faster, but we agree.
That is
TomHart said:
Is there any mention of damping?
No. I've typed the entire question as it is.

Animated-mass-spring.gif
danielbaker453 said:
No. Not directly but only after the kinetic energy of the system becomes zero
Kinetic energy zero doesn't mean equilibrium position !

Likes danielbaker453 and TomHart
Have you ever stepped onto one of the old mechanical scales? Don't you notice that the reading does not go immediately to the final weight. It tends to oscillate above and below the final weight that it settles on. (Due to friction, it eventually stops oscillating.) However, in your problem, since there is no mention of damping, I think it's safe to assume that there is no damping.

BvU said:
Kinetic energy zero doesn't mean equilibrium position !
But why not? Wouldn't K.E. be zero when the spring is at maximum elongation?

It would. But you answered that in response to a question on equilibrium position. Which is probably what you calculated in post #1.

TomHart said:
Have you ever stepped onto one of the old mechanical scales? Don't you notice that the reading does not go immediately to the final weight. It tends to oscillate above and below the final weight that it settles on. (Due to friction, it eventually stops oscillating.) However, in your problem, since there is no mention of damping, I think it's safe to assume that there is no damping.
So since there is no damping, can energy be conserved?

Not in the collision. Afterwards, yes.

danielbaker453 said:
So since there is no damping, can energy be conserved?
Once you use conservation of momentum to figure out the velocity of the particle/block combination, energy will be conserved forever after that point.

@BvU: Great picture above.

Likes danielbaker453
Also, could anyone please explain what was wrong with my approach?

Picture stolen from Wiki, I'm afraid - no credit to me.

danielbaker453 said:
danielbaker453 said:
Also, at the point of maximum elongation,
kxf=(M+m)g
That's the equilibrium position.

Show your work in detail.

danielbaker453 said:
If you set the particle on the block very lightly - as opposed to dropping it from some height - don't you think the maximum extension would be different?

Likes danielbaker453
TomHart said:
If you set the particle on the block very lightly - as opposed to dropping it from some height - don't you think the maximum extension would be different?
Yes! If it is dropped from a height the extension will be more as compared to when it is placed lightly.

danielbaker453 said:
Yes! If it is dropped from a height the extension will be more as compared to when it is placed lightly.
Yes, so you need another tool other than F=kx.

Also, here is a link to the solution I referred to

TomHart said:
Yes, so you need another tool other than F=kx.
And that would be energy conservation for which the K.E. can be figured out using momentum conservation!

Likes TomHart
danielbaker453 said:
And that would be energy conservation for which the K.E. can be figured out using momentum conservation!
Correct. You have been somewhat wrongfooted because in the video they freeze the motion at the lowest point.

Likes danielbaker453
Thank you both! (BvU and TomHart)
I finally understand this problem.
Here is my work for anyone who is curious...
1488818983391.jpeg

danielbaker453 said:
Thank you both! (BvU and TomHart)
I finally understand this problem.
Here is my work for anyone who is curious...
View attachment 114176
You have posted an incorrect solution. Is that what you intended?

haruspex said:
You have posted an incorrect solution. Is that what you intended?
Yes. I realize that my solution is wrong. This is not what I intended when I said I understand this. I meant to conserve momentum first and then energy. This is to show what I did wrong to anyone who is curious. Sorry for the confusion.

Related to Conservation of momentum - Vertical spring

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The SI unit for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).

How does conservation of momentum apply to a vertical spring?

In a vertical spring, the conservation of momentum applies when an object is attached to the end of the spring and released from rest. As the object falls, the spring will stretch and the object will gain momentum. The increase in the object's momentum is equal to the decrease in the momentum of the spring, therefore conserving the total momentum of the system.

What factors can affect the conservation of momentum in a vertical spring?

The conservation of momentum in a vertical spring can be affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the spring constant and the amount of stretch in the spring. Any external forces, such as air resistance, can also affect the conservation of momentum.

How is the conservation of momentum used in real-world applications?

The conservation of momentum is used in many real-world applications, such as analyzing collisions in car accidents, designing safety features for amusement park rides, and understanding the motion of objects in space. It is also a key concept in rocket propulsion and understanding the motion of particles in nuclear reactions.