Measure of spring in system with roller

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood machine with masses m1= 0.05 kg and m2= 0.03 kg, and a spring that is omitted. The objective is to determine the length of the spring after it has stopped vibrating, with a stretched length of 0.1 meters and a force of 0.1N causing an elongation of 0.02 meters. The solution involves using Newton's second law and the concept of tension to arrive at an answer of 0.174 meters. The discussion also touches upon the drawing of forces in the problem, with the conclusion that it is not necessary to explicitly show all the forces acting on the system.
Aireve

Homework Statement

m1= 0,05 kg, m2= 0,03 kg, mass of spring is omitted. We look at movement after spring stopped vibrate. How long does the spring measure during the movement if not stretched spring measure 0,1 meter and if we use force 0,1N elongation measures 0,02 meter.
(sorry, English isn't my main language, I've never learn scientific words so I'm not quite sure if my translation is right)

I know the answer is 0,174 meter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

m1*a = m1*g - Ft (Ft is thread tension)
m2*a = Ft + Fs - m2*g

0,1 = k*0,02
k=5

Don't know what next and if it's even right.

Attachments

• nn.jpg
    nn.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
Hym, I can solve problems when there is no spring. That spring is real problem since I don't know how to mark forces at that device. Is Fs=Fg? My friend tried to solve that without Fs but I'm not sure...

Aireve said:
Is Fs=Fg? My friend tried to solve that without Fs but I'm not sure...
Why would Fs be Fg?
Is the spring applying force in either direction? what does Newton's third law tell us?

Last edited:
Likes Aireve
Jamison Lahman said:
Why would Fs be Fg?
Is the spring applying force in either direction? what does Newton's third law tell us?

I'm not sure but aren't second mass applying force? Can't Fg be force of action and Fs force of reaction?

Aireve said:
I'm not sure but aren't second mass applying force? Can't Fg be force of action and Fs force of reaction?
Is there any effect from mass 1?

Jamison Lahman said:
Is there any effect from mass 1?

Well, because of mass 1 that system is moving to the left.

Aireve said:
Well, because of mass 1 that system is moving to the left.
I think you have the right idea. Translation may be a little off. Because of mass 1, the force on mass 2 does not equal the the force of gravity on mass 2.
With that being said, because the spring is without mass it does not contribute to the acceleration of mass 1. The tension in the string, Ft , is therefore also the same force acting on the spring, Fs .

Likes Aireve
Jamison Lahman said:
I think you have the right idea. Translation may be a little off. Because of mass 1, the force on mass 2 does not equal the the force of gravity on mass 2.
With that being said, because the spring is without mass it does not contribute to the acceleration of mass 1. The tension in the string, Ft , is therefore also the same force acting on the spring, Fs .

So...
0,1 = k*0,02
k=5

m1*a = m1*g - Ft
m2*a = Ft - m2*g

a(m1 + m2) = g(m1 - m2)
a = 0,2/0,08 = 2,5 m/s^2

Ft = m2(a + g) = 0,03*12,5 = 0,375 = Fs

0,375 = 5*x
x = 0,075 m

x+0,1 = 0,175 m = 17,5 cm

Is it correct?

Aireve said:
So...
x+0,1 = 0,175 m = 17,5 cm

Is it correct?
Looks like it

Jamison Lahman said:
Looks like it

Ok, thank you!
But can I have one more question? How should I draw those forces at that picture? Should I draw Fs and Ft or only one of them? They should "touch" mass 2 or spring?

Aireve said:
Ok, thank you!
But can I have one more question? How should I draw those forces at that picture? Should I draw Fs and Ft or only one of them? They should "touch" mass 2 or spring?
You could explicitly show all of the forces (so that the spring looks like the green to the side):
Tension_figure.svg

But I think that would be messy and overly complicated. I personally would only draw forces on objects with mass.

Jamison Lahman said:
You could explicitly show all of the forces (so that the spring looks like the green to the side):
Tension_figure.svg

But I think that would be messy and overly complicated. I personally would only draw forces on objects with mass.

Right, I don't think I have to do that much.
To be 100% sure, it's ok?

Attachments

• xxxxx.jpg
    xxxxx.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 427
Looks fine to me

Ok, thank you. :)

Related to Measure of spring in system with roller

What is a "measure of spring" in a system with a roller?

A "measure of spring" refers to the stiffness or elasticity of the spring used in a system with a roller. This measure is typically represented by the spring constant, which is a numerical value that describes how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance.

How do you determine the measure of spring in a system with a roller?

The measure of spring can be determined by conducting a test known as a spring constant test, in which the force applied to the spring is measured as the spring is stretched or compressed by a known distance. The spring constant is then calculated by dividing the force by the distance.

What factors can affect the measure of spring in a system with a roller?

The measure of spring in a system with a roller can be affected by factors such as the material and thickness of the spring, the number of coils, and the diameter of the coils. Other factors that can impact the measure of spring include the weight and shape of the roller, as well as the surface the roller is placed on.

Why is the measure of spring important in a system with a roller?

The measure of spring is important in a system with a roller because it directly affects the performance and behavior of the system. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, which can provide more stability and control in the system. On the other hand, a lower spring constant can result in a more flexible and responsive system.

What are some practical applications of the measure of spring in systems with rollers?

The measure of spring in systems with rollers is important in various fields, including engineering, physics, and manufacturing. It is used in the design and analysis of suspension systems for vehicles, shock absorbers, and springs for machinery. It also plays a role in the development of sports equipment such as skateboards and roller coasters, as well as in the design of prosthetics and medical devices.