Measuring coefficient of friction with only a ruler

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the coefficient of friction between a vertical rectangular prism and a horizontal plane using only a ruler as a measurement equipment. Suggestions include tilting the table and using the refractive properties of the prism itself. The conversation concludes with a solution involving measuring the distance and angle of the prism's slide to calculate the coefficient of friction.
freemind
Hello,

I'm stumped about a relatively simple problem. Here it is in its exact form:

"You need a rectangular prism with its height at least several times greater than its length. Put this prism vertically on a table or any other horizontal plane. How does one determine the coefficient of friction between the prism and the plane using only a ruler as a measurement equipment? You can use any facilities for the goals other than measurements."

Now, two things. First, it is not stated which coefficient to find (static or kinetic) and secondly, i don't know what to make of the last statement. How does one measure the coefficient of friction w/out "making any measurements". (I'm ignoring that sentence for now)
Anyway, my idea is to position the prism at a certain point and lift the table, measure the height at one end and see how far it slides. Yet, i have the feeling that it would be smarter to use the refractive properties of the prism itself to measure the coefficient. I have no clue how to do that.

Please try to destroy or append to my ideas.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tilt the table! Measure the distance from the top of the prism to the point directly beneath it on the surface of the table and the distance between . This, along with the length of the prism, allows you to calculate the angle at which the table is tilted. The angle at which the prism slides allows you to calculate the coefficient of friction.

Thank you very much Tide. That was too easy!

Related to Measuring coefficient of friction with only a ruler

1. How do you measure the coefficient of friction with only a ruler?

To measure the coefficient of friction with only a ruler, you will need to perform an inclined plane experiment. This involves placing the ruler at an angle and slowly increasing the angle until the object on the ruler begins to slide. The coefficient of friction can then be calculated using the angle and the weight of the object.

2. What is the purpose of measuring the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is used to determine the force required to move an object across a surface and is important in many fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science.

3. Can the coefficient of friction be measured accurately with only a ruler?

While using only a ruler to measure the coefficient of friction may not provide the most precise results, it can still give a good estimation. It is important to ensure that the experiment is performed carefully and consistently to minimize any errors.

4. What are some limitations of measuring the coefficient of friction with only a ruler?

One limitation of using only a ruler to measure the coefficient of friction is that it may not take into account other factors such as surface roughness or temperature. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by human error in performing the experiment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring the coefficient of friction with only a ruler?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the ruler and the object being tested are not too heavy or sharp to avoid any potential injuries. Also, be careful when increasing the angle of the ruler to prevent the object from sliding off and causing harm.