The inclined plane: Movement & Coefficients of Friction

In summary: I don't know how to take the components of forces in a given direction and obtain a ##\Sigma F## force balance equation.
raindrop264

Homework Statement

A block is projected up a 30° slope at 4m/s. When it is moving the coefficient of friction is 0.3. When the block is stationary the maximum coefficient of friction is 0.5.
a. Calculate how far up the block will go.
b. Show that the block will not remain there.
c. Calculate the velocity of the block when it reaches the bottom

Homework Equations

ΣF=mg
μ=Friction / Perpendicular Contact force

The Attempt at a Solution

I just joined a class in the middle of a topic, and so I am completely stuck at this one.
I know that when the block is stationary ΣF=0 in the x-direction (x-Axis is parallel to the inclined plane)
so when the object stops, the coefficient of friction is far greater.
I am not sure how to do the question, as we are not supplied a Mass (m), and I have no idea how to
use the angle θ to solve this. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can start by drawing yourself a free body diagram of each condition. You should then be able to apply your kinematic formulae to solve.

Apply Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration. Then use kinematics. (That's one way to go.)

paisiello2 said:
Maybe you can start by drawing yourself a free body diagram of each condition. You should then be able to apply your kinematic formulae to solve.
I have already done that. I am focusing on part a.) of the question right now.
so There are 2 forces slowing the object down, the weight (gravity) and the friction.
But I don't understand how to use these equations. Could you perhaps give me an example,
or help me a bit more?
Thanks!

raindrop264 said:
so There are 2 forces slowing the object down, the weight (gravity) and the friction.
Good. What are they equal? (Symbolically, not numbers.) Then find ΣFx and set it equal to ma.

Doc Al said:
Good. What are they equal? (Symbolically, not numbers.) Then find ΣFx and set it equal to ma.[/QUOT
They are equal to the total downward (negative) force of Fx?
So we got something moving that is being deccelerated by two forces and we need to work out the distance it will travel, so we need to calculate the decceleration first as I understand it but I'm at a total loss here as to "how to find ΣFx and set it equal to ma." :/

raindrop264 said:
Give me an expression for each force: one for the weight and one for the friction force.

raindrop264 said:
So we got something moving that is being deccelerated by two forces and we need to work out the distance it will travel, so we need to calculate the decceleration first as I understand it but I'm at a total loss here as to "how to find ΣFx and set it equal to ma." :/
There are three forces altogether: gravity, normal force and friction.
While the block is sliding, there is a simple relationship between the magnitudes of the normal force and friction.
So to find the friction force you must first find the normal force.
The normal force from a surface is the force of least magnitude that will stop the object from penetrating the surface. Necessarily, that means it is at right angles to the surface. If you do a force balance in that direction you can find the normal force.
Do you know how to take the components of forces in a given direction and obtain a ##\Sigma F## force balance equation?

Related to The inclined plane: Movement & Coefficients of Friction

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is angled or sloped. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one point to another.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by spreading out the force needed to move an object over a longer distance, thereby reducing the amount of force required. This is known as mechanical advantage.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measurement of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when one surface moves or tries to move over the other. It is represented by the symbol µ and is dependent on the materials and surfaces in contact.

4. How is the coefficient of friction related to the movement of an object on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining the movement of an object on an inclined plane. It affects the amount of force needed to move the object as well as the speed and acceleration of the object.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be affected by several factors, including the materials and surfaces in contact, the angle of the inclined plane, and the presence of any external forces such as air resistance. It can also be influenced by the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces and the weight or mass of the object being moved.