Coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of forces on an inclined plane and the relationship between mass, force, and coefficients. The speaker has performed a lab and measured the frictions on a flat surface, but has noticed that the coefficient increases on the surfaces. They have used various equations and found coefficients around 0.70, but are having trouble understanding why the coefficient decreases as mass increases. The possibility of set-up details affecting the results is also mentioned.
Sharlyn

Homework Statement

A lab I've performed was measured using forces. As the mass increases, the force does as well. The inclined plane is at an angle of 30 degrees. Now, finding the coefficient, should the kinetic and static friction be decreasing on a plane? I've measured the frictions on a flat surface but the coefficient increases on the surfaces.
For example: First )Mass = 0.25kg therefore ForceG =(0.25)(9.8)= 2.45
Force Applied = 1.5N
Coefficient = 0.71
Second Mass) 0.33975kg, ForceG=4.21
Force Applied = 2.0
Coefficient = 0.69

Homework Equations

μ = Force of Friction/Force Normal
Force Normal = -mg(cos30)
Force Friction = -Fapplied

The Attempt at a Solution

I used all the equations I was provided with, and first coefficient: 0.71, then 0.69, 0.68
I was told that when you're applying force on an inclined plane, the Force itself will increase. I'm having troubles understanding WHY the coefficient is going down especially since the mass is increasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficients you've got there look reasonably similar to me.

If you repeat the experiment many times with lots of different masses, you should end up with results all around the 0.70 mark.

If the trend in the numbers is not just random error, it may be to do with the details of the set-up. You would need to post the details.

Related to Coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

1. What is the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a dimensionless number.

2. How is the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane calculated?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the force of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting between them. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the angle of inclination at which an object begins to slide down the plane.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the angle of inclination of the plane. Other factors such as temperature, surface roughness, and the presence of lubricants can also impact the coefficient of friction.

4. How does the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane affect the movement of objects?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane determines the amount of force required to move an object up or down the plane. A higher coefficient of friction means more force is needed to move the object, while a lower coefficient of friction means less force is needed. It also affects the speed at which an object will slide down an inclined plane.

5. Can the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be greater than 1. This would indicate a high level of resistance between the two surfaces, making it more difficult for an object to move up or down the plane. However, it is important to note that the coefficient of friction is a relative value and can vary depending on the materials involved and other factors.