Measurement of Young modulus of Copper

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the slope and pattern of a graph using experimental data. The speaker is unsure of how to find the exact slope and the other person suggests plotting the data and drawing a best-fit line, although the speaker finds it difficult due to the graph showing two linear lines. The other person questions if the data was graphed correctly, as they see a smooth curve.
Apathetic

Homework Statement

my data as below
diameter of copper wire/m 0.025 (mean)
Unstretched part = 0.285m
mass(m)/KG extension(e)/m
0.1 0
0.2 0
0.3 0
0.4 0.001
0.5 0.001
0.6 0.001
0.7 0.003
0.8 0.003
0.9 0.005
1 0.005
1.1 0.006
1.2 0.009
1.3 0.014
1.4 0.021
1.5 break

Homework Equations

I don't know how to find the exact slope and the exact pattern of the graph
am my data wrong ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "I don't know how to find the exact slope"? With experimental data, you can never get exact values. The best you can do is plot the data and draw a best-fit line.

ideasrule said:
What do you mean by "I don't know how to find the exact slope"? With experimental data, you can never get exact values. The best you can do is plot the data and draw a best-fit line.

i know but it is very difficult to draw a best fit line as the graph i draw showing two linear line

I see a nice-looking curve when I plot the data. Are you sure you graphed it correctly?

Related to Measurement of Young modulus of Copper

1. What is the Young modulus of Copper?

The Young modulus of Copper is a measure of its stiffness or resistance to deformation. It is a material property that describes how much stress is needed to stretch or compress a material along a particular direction. It is also known as the elastic modulus or the modulus of elasticity.

2. How is the Young modulus of Copper measured?

The Young modulus of Copper can be measured using a tensile testing machine. A sample of Copper is placed in the machine and subjected to gradually increasing tension until it reaches its breaking point. The resulting stress and strain values are then used to calculate the Young modulus using the formula E = σ/ε, where E is the Young modulus, σ is the stress, and ε is the strain.

3. What factors can affect the measurement of Young modulus of Copper?

There are several factors that can affect the measurement of Young modulus of Copper. These include the purity and composition of the Copper, the temperature at which the measurement is taken, and the rate of loading during the test. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate and reliable results.

4. What is the typical value for the Young modulus of Copper?

The Young modulus of Copper can vary depending on the specific type of Copper and its processing history. However, the typical value for pure, annealed Copper is around 117 GPa (17 x 10^6 psi). This value may change if the Copper has been work-hardened or has impurities present.

5. How is the Young modulus of Copper used in engineering applications?

The Young modulus of Copper is an important material property that is used in various engineering applications. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of structures and components that will experience tensile or compressive forces. It can also be used to compare the stiffness of different materials and to predict how they will behave under different loading conditions.