Help with Calculating Young's Modulus Using Data

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Young's modulus using given data for steel wire. The formula E=F/A*L/ΔL is mentioned, but it is suggested to use the equation from the link provided. The necessary values for the equation, including load, length, and change in length, are also given.
ayaanle
can anyone help me with this question...i am stuck

data for steal wire 1.72 m long and 0.4 mm diameter

load 10 20 30 40 50 60
extension 0.7 1.5 2.1 2.9 3.6 4.3

find youngs modulus?

i have this formula E=F/A*L/AL but don't know how to use it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It would help if you had the right equation:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/permot3.html#c2

A is your area - they give you the diameter.

F is your load - they give you a bunch of loads.

L is your length - they give you the length

ΔL is the change in length - they give you Δ's for various loads.

Hello,

Calculating Young's modulus can be a bit confusing, but I am happy to help you with this question. Young's modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is defined as the ratio of stress to strain. In this case, we will be using the data for the steel wire to calculate its Young's modulus.

First, let's define some terms. Load refers to the amount of force applied to the wire, which is measured in Newtons (N). Extension refers to the change in length of the wire, which is measured in meters (m). The diameter of the wire is also given, which we will need to calculate the cross-sectional area (A) of the wire.

To calculate the cross-sectional area, we will use the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the wire. Since the diameter is given, we need to divide it by 2 to get the radius. In this case, the radius is 0.4 mm/2 = 0.2 mm = 0.0002 m. Substituting this value into the formula, we get A = 3.14*(0.0002)^2 = 0.000000125 m^2.

Now, we can use the formula for Young's modulus, E = (F/A)*(L/L0), where F is the load, A is the cross-sectional area, L is the length of the wire, and L0 is the original length of the wire (1.72 m in this case). We will use the data given for load and extension to calculate the stress (F/A) and strain (L/L0) values for each data point.

For the first data point (10 N, 0.7 m), stress = 10 N/0.000000125 m^2 = 80,000,000 N/m^2 and strain = 0.7 m/1.72 m = 0.407. Plugging these values into the formula, we get E = (80,000,000 N/m^2)*(0.407) = 32,560,000 N/m^2. Repeat this process for all data points and then take the average of all the calculated values to get the Young's modulus for the steel wire.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to calculate Young's modulus using the given data. Let me know if you have any further questions

Related to Help with Calculating Young's Modulus Using Data

1. How do I calculate Young's Modulus using data?

To calculate Young's Modulus, you will need to know the stress and strain values of a material. The formula for calculating Young's Modulus is E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's Modulus, σ is the stress, and ε is the strain. Once you have these values, simply divide the stress by the strain to get the Young's Modulus.

2. What units are used to measure Young's Modulus?

The units for Young's Modulus are typically either Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or gigapascals (GPa).

3. Can I use experimental data to calculate Young's Modulus?

Yes, you can use experimental data to calculate Young's Modulus. In fact, this is one of the most common ways to determine the Young's Modulus of a material. You will need to conduct a tensile test and record the stress and strain values at different points to obtain the necessary data.

4. How accurate are calculations of Young's Modulus using data?

The accuracy of your calculation will depend on the accuracy of your data and the assumptions made during the calculation. It is important to use precise and accurate measurements for stress and strain in order to obtain a more accurate Young's Modulus value.

5. Can I use Young's Modulus to compare the stiffness of different materials?

Yes, Young's Modulus can be used to compare the stiffness of different materials. It is a measure of a material's resistance to deformation under stress and can be used to determine which material is stiffer or more flexible. However, it is important to note that Young's Modulus is just one of many factors that influence a material's stiffness.