Youngs Modulus. Copper wire experiment

In summary, The conversation was about calculating Young's Modulus for a copper wire. The data for the experiment was provided and the person attempted to solve for the modulus using the equation E = FL/AX. However, they made a mistake in their calculations and ended up with a value that was off by a factor of 10. The conversation then delved into analyzing the potential sources of error in the measurements and discussing the importance of using accurate and precise units in scientific experiments.
Gregg

Homework Statement

Calculate Youngs Modulus for the copper wire

We have done the experiment today, here is the data:

(KG)/F(N)/x(M)

0.1/0.1g/0.0
0.2/0.2g/0.0
0.3/0.3g/0.001
0.4/0.4g/0.001
0.5/0.5g/0.002
0.6/0.6g/0.003
0.7/0.7g/0.004
0.8/0.8g/0.005
0.9/0.9g/0.006
1.0/1.0g/0.009
1.1/1.1g/0.029
1.2/1.2g/0.053
1.3/1.3g/0.089
1.4/1.4g/0.160

Diameter = 0.27mm = 2.7x10-4Natural Length = 1m

Homework Equations

E = FL/AX

gradient = F/X

E = gradient x L/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Radius = 1.4x10-4

A = (pi)(1.4x10-4)2

So i take the elastic region to be up to the 1kg load. The gradient of the line is (1g/0.009) = 1090.

The beginning length of the copper wire was 1mE = 1090 x 1 / AA = (pi)(1.4x10^-4)^2 E = 1090/(pi)(1.4x10^-4)^2E = 1.77x10^10 Pa = 17.7 GPa

According to the internet the young modulus is about 10 times larger than this. Have i gone wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an online lecture that performs that very experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrRP-oGPjvk

Ah, brilliant.

I would have chosen another point further back because you might notice that the 1 kg point is already into the elastic region as the slope of the curve has changed.

Yeah I have drawn a graph and can see this, also. Still strange to be out by a factor of 10, though.

It's not that bad.

Using the .8/.005 point I get F/A as 1.371*108

divide by .005 and that yields 27.4 GPa

Copper looks like 110 to 130.

Do an error propagation analysis of the measurements. You're only a factor of 3 to 4 off. And a small measurement uncertainty in A or in ΔL can be pretty substantial.

you need to convert your mass to (N) Newtons

oh n your lengths should be in meters (m) too stick with the metric measurements

Related to Youngs Modulus. Copper wire experiment

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation when a force is applied. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of force per unit area (N/m²).

2. How is Young's Modulus determined for copper wire?

In order to determine Young's Modulus for copper wire, an experiment is conducted where the wire is subjected to different amounts of tension and the corresponding change in length is measured. The ratio of stress (force applied) to strain (change in length) is then calculated to determine Young's Modulus.

3. Why is Young's Modulus important for copper wire?

Copper wire is commonly used in electrical and electronic applications due to its high conductivity. However, it is also important for the wire to have a high Young's Modulus in order to maintain its shape and prevent deformation when used in circuits or devices that may experience mechanical stress.

4. How does the diameter of the copper wire affect Young's Modulus?

The diameter of the copper wire can affect Young's Modulus as a thinner wire will have a smaller cross-sectional area, resulting in a higher stress for the same amount of force applied. This can lead to a higher Young's Modulus value for thinner wires compared to thicker ones.

5. Can Young's Modulus change for copper wire?

Young's Modulus is a material property and, therefore, does not change for a specific material like copper wire. However, the Young's Modulus value can vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature and impurities in the copper wire, which can affect its mechanical properties.