Measure Theory and Applied Math

In summary, the individual is starting graduate school in applied math and is deciding if measure theory is necessary or important for their focus on PDEs. They have taken basic real analysis courses and have the option to take a measure theory class in their program. Measure theory is important in stochastic calculus and financial math because of its use in analyzing random variables and non-constant measures.
glyvin
I am starting graduate school in applied math in the fall and am trying to decide if measure theory is necessary or important in terms of applied math and if so, what ares of applied math? I have taken two basic real analysis courses through multiple integrals, etc. and would like to focus on PDE's at this point, although I'm quite open to all areas of applied math at this point. The program I'll be in does not require a class on measure theory, but I do have the option to take one if I'd like.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey glyvin and welcome to the forums.

For stochastic calculus (or analysis), measure theory is important because we deal with measures that deal with random variables and because of the non-constant nature of the measure (unlike what you would find in a Riemann integral).

Financial mathematics as well as some scientific mathematics based on stochastic processes make use of both measure theory and PDE theory to analyze problems for these fields.

Related to Measure Theory and Applied Math

1. What is Measure Theory?

Measure Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring sets and their properties. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and analyzing the size, structure, and behavior of sets in various mathematical contexts.

2. How is Measure Theory applied in real-world situations?

Measure Theory has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and solve practical problems that involve measuring and quantifying various phenomena.

3. What are the key concepts in Measure Theory?

The key concepts in Measure Theory include measurable sets, measures, integration, and convergence. Measurable sets are those that can be assigned a numerical value, while measures are functions that assign a size or weight to these sets. Integration is a method for calculating the total size of a set, and convergence is a way to assess the behavior of a sequence of sets.

4. How does Measure Theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Measure Theory is closely connected to other branches of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and probability. It provides the foundation for the Lebesgue integral, which is a powerful tool in analysis and is essential for understanding functions and their properties. It also plays a crucial role in the development of topological spaces and probability theory.

5. What are some challenges in studying Measure Theory?

One of the main challenges in studying Measure Theory is the abstract nature of the subject. It involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong background in calculus, analysis, and set theory. Another difficulty is in applying Measure Theory to real-world problems, which often require creative and innovative approaches.