Mean field solution for potts model

In summary: J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.SjThis can be further simplified to:H = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.SjFinally, if we consider the mean-field approximation, we can write the
Binvestigator

Homework Statement

The mean-field equation for the three-state Potts model H= -J∑δσiδσj can be derived as follows using this:
a) show that H is equivalent to -J∑Si.Sj where Si=(1 0) , (-1/2 √3/2 ) , (-1/2 -√3/2)
b) putting H0= (H0 H'0) show the mean field equation become
H0/jz = exp(3βH0/2 ) -1 / exp(3β H0/2) +2
Fmf= - N kT Ln( exp(β H0) +2 exp (-β H0/2) + N H0^2 / 2 Jz

it is problem 4.3 statistical mechanics of phase transition, Yeomans

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first section of this chapter,Author used this method for ising model, I know that should use the Bogoliubov inequality, taking the average in ensemble, minimizing the free energy .

I should use the previous problem , but how? How should give ensemble on the vector spin. Am I should indicate that the free energies are equal? for equality of Hamiltonian?
I don't have any idea at start point to indicate that 2 Hamiltonian are same.

Appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello fellow scientist,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. I will try to explain the derivation of the mean-field equation for the three-state Potts model and how it relates to the Ising model.

Firstly, let's start with the Hamiltonian of the three-state Potts model, which is given by:

H = -J∑δσiδσj

where J is the coupling constant, δ is the Kronecker delta function, and σi and σj are the spin states at site i and j, respectively. Now, we can rewrite this Hamiltonian in terms of the spin states as:

H = -J∑Si.Sj

where Si and Sj are the spin vectors at site i and j, respectively. Note that Si and Sj are defined as:

Si = (1 0), (-1/2 √3/2), (-1/2 -√3/2)

These vectors correspond to the three possible spin states in the Potts model. Now, if we consider the Ising model, we can see that the spin vectors in this model are defined as:

Si = (1 0), (-1 0)

In other words, the Ising model only has two possible spin states. This means that we can rewrite the Hamiltonian of the Potts model in terms of the Ising model as:

H = -J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj

where the second term represents the sum over the spin states of the Ising model. Now, if we consider the mean-field approximation, we can replace the sum over the spin states of the Ising model by its average value, which is given by:

<H> = (exp(βH) + 2exp(-βH) + exp(βH))/4 = (exp(βH) + 2exp(-βH) + exp(βH))/4

where β = 1/kT is the inverse temperature and H is the external magnetic field.

Now, if we substitute this expression into the Hamiltonian of the Potts model, we get:

H = -J∑Si.Sj + J∑Si.Sj = -J∑Si.Sj +

Related to Mean field solution for potts model

1. What is the Potts model?

The Potts model is a statistical model used to describe the behavior of particles or spins in a lattice. It is often used in the study of magnetism and phase transitions.

2. What is the mean field solution for the Potts model?

The mean field solution for the Potts model is a mathematical approach that simplifies the interactions between particles in the lattice by assuming that each particle is only influenced by the average behavior of its surrounding particles. This allows for a more tractable solution to the model.

3. How is the mean field solution derived?

The mean field solution for the Potts model is derived by applying the mean field approximation, which replaces the interactions between particles with an average interaction term. This simplification allows for a set of equations to be solved to determine the behavior of the system.

4. What are the limitations of the mean field solution for the Potts model?

The mean field solution for the Potts model is an approximation and does not take into account the effects of fluctuations and correlations between particles. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of the system at higher temperatures or near phase transitions.

5. How is the mean field solution used in practical applications?

The mean field solution for the Potts model is often used as a starting point for more advanced models and simulations. It is also used in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science, to study the behavior of complex systems and networks.