Ising Model using renormalisation group

In summary, the Hamiltonian of the 1D Ising model without a magnetic field is defined as the sum of interactions between Ising spins. A decimation procedure with a decimation parameter of 3 is set up, resulting in a recursion relation for the coupling constant K equal to 3K.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian of the 1D Ising model without a magnetic field, is defined via: $$\mathcal H = − \sum_{ i=1}^N K\sigma_i \sigma_{i+1},$$ where ##K ≥ 0## and ##\sigma_i## are the Ising spins (i.e. ##\sigma_i= \pm 1##).

A) Set up a decimation procedure with decimation parameter, λ, equal to 3, and find out the recursion relation for the coupling K. In order to do so, you will have to include a trivial field in H.

Homework Equations

partition function ##Z_N = \sum_{\sigma} \exp(-\beta \mathcal H (\sigma)) = \sum_{\sigma} \prod_i \exp(w(\sigma_i, \sigma_{i+1})##

The Attempt at a Solution

Just a quick check on the notation, does ##\lambda=3## mean that we keep ##\sigma_i## and ##\sigma_{i+3}## and ##\sigma_{i+1}, \sigma_{i+2}## are decimated? So the partiiton function listed in relevant equations becomes $$\sum_{\sigma_1, \sigma_4,\sigma_7 \dots} \left[ \sum_{\sigma_2, \sigma_3} e^{w(\sigma_1, \sigma_2)}e^{w(\sigma_2, \sigma_3)}e^{w(\sigma_3, \sigma_4)}\right] \left[\sum_{\sigma_5, \sigma_6} \dots\right]$$ and ##e^{w(\sigma_1, \sigma_2)}e^{w(\sigma_2, \sigma_3)}e^{w(\sigma_3, \sigma_4)}= e^{w'(\sigma_1, \sigma_4)}## and the prime denotes this constitutes a term in the Hamiltonian describing the scaled system.

Physics news on Phys.org
This implies that $$w'(\sigma_1, \sigma_4) = w(\sigma_1, \sigma_2) + w(\sigma_2, \sigma_3) + w(\sigma_3, \sigma_4)$$Now for the Hamiltonian, we have $$\mathcal H = − \sum_{ i=1}^N K\sigma_i \sigma_{i+1},$$ where ##K ≥ 0## and ##\sigma_i## are the Ising spins (i.e. ##\sigma_i= \pm 1##).So, $$w(\sigma_1, \sigma_2) = - K \sigma_1 \sigma_2$$and $$w'(\sigma_1, \sigma_4) = - K' \sigma_1 \sigma_4$$Therefore the recursion relation is $$K' = K + K + K = 3K$$

1. What is the Ising Model?

The Ising Model is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of a system of interacting particles, such as atoms or spins. In this model, each particle can only have two possible states (up or down), and the interactions between particles are described by an energy function.

2. How does the renormalisation group apply to the Ising Model?

The renormalisation group is a mathematical technique used to study how the behavior of a system changes as it is observed at different scales. In the context of the Ising Model, the renormalisation group allows us to study how the behavior of the system changes as the size of the system is increased or decreased.

3. What are the key features of the Ising Model using renormalisation group?

The Ising Model using renormalisation group allows us to study phase transitions in the system, where the behavior of the system changes abruptly as a parameter (such as temperature) is varied. It also allows us to understand the critical behavior of the system near these phase transitions.

4. What are the applications of the Ising Model using renormalisation group?

The Ising Model using renormalisation group has applications in various fields, including condensed matter physics, statistical mechanics, and computer science. It is used to study phase transitions and critical phenomena in materials, and it also has applications in data compression and optimization algorithms.

5. What are the limitations of the Ising Model using renormalisation group?

The Ising Model using renormalisation group is a simplified model and does not capture all the complexities of real-world systems. It assumes that all particles in the system are the same and have the same interactions, which may not always hold true. Additionally, the renormalisation group approach has limitations in its ability to accurately predict behavior at extremely small or large scales.