McCain: Growing smaller by the day

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, during an interview on Meet the Press, John McCain claimed that Iraq and Vietnam are different and that the U.S. was not threatened by the Soviet Union during the Vietnam War. However, this is a lie and McCain knows it. He also stated that the majority of Americans want to leave Iraq, but this does not matter because of democratically elected governments. The conversation also discusses McCain's age and questionable statements, leading some to believe he may be becoming unstable. There is speculation that McCain is trying to appeal to Bush's base in order to win the GOP nomination, but in the process, he is losing support from his previous supporters.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This morning on Meet the Press, early into the interview McCain again states the case that Iraq is different than Vietnam - that if we left Vietnam, no one was going to follow us home.

I understand this sort of nonsense coming from Bush as he is either a pathological liar or delusional, but this is an outright lie and McCain knows it. We were led into Vietnam based on fear of expansionism and world domination by the Soviet Union via the Domino Effect. We felt no less threatened then than now. And unlike the terrorists who want to get A nuclear weapon, the Soviets already had thousands with fully capable delivery systems by the time Vietnam was an issue.

Tell me it will be bad if we leave, or tell me that WWIII is a certainty if we leave, but don't lie to me when I know better.

McCain goes on to state that just as the people in Iraq want us to leave Iraq, a majority here in the US want us to leave, but this doesn't matter. We have democratically elected governments and so ends the role of the people.

So much for Captain America.

Edit: Right at the end, when asked about his age and former claim that in '08 he would be too old to run for office, he claims to work 24-7s. Clearly this can't be true, and I think I even heard Russert chuckle in the background. This tells me that McCain is now a man who is like Bush and his buddies: He says whatever sounds good.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
McCain's just throwing everything out there because he knows this is his last shot at the presidency. I think he truly believes he can win over Bush's base (that ~20% of the people that would give Bush a good approval rating no matter what he does) and still appeal to moderates and some dems. But the name of the game now is winning the GOP nomination and that's why, I think, he's taking such a stand. In the process, he's just eroding all of the support from 'classic' McCain supporters. He's digging his own grave.

I don't know what's worse: if he's doing this all for political reasons (the Straight Talk Express has derailed) or if he really believes in what he's saying.

McCain is really starting to strike me as moderately insane. He not only says unreasonable things that I wouldn't have imagined him saying a few years ago, but his facial expressions and the weird tics he has remind me of a film android trying to fake humanity. He's like Roy from Bladerunner: everything is a little strained and exaggerated.

McCain's not crazy - just dishonest like the current administration. They know that they can get some level of support by selling fear and xenophobia, and they do it quite effectively. There is a segment of the population that swallow those lies hook, line, and sinker, and once they accept the porpaganda as truth, they are often quite willing to try to shout down and silence people with more rational views.

loseyourname said:
McCain is really starting to strike me as moderately insane. He not only says unreasonable things that I wouldn't have imagined him saying a few years ago, but his facial expressions and the weird tics he has remind me of a film android trying to fake humanity. He's like Roy from Bladerunner: everything is a little strained and exaggerated.

I agree, I really liked him in the last election, but now I would never think of voting for him, I really don't trust him and think he's a bit loony.

loseyourname said:

Yes, oh yes, his years actually out there in the S. China Sea flying off flaming carriers and imprisoned in the Hanoi Hilton made him unstable, but fortunately we have you here unfeathered on this internet forum to present the case of the sane and enlightened, and to diagnose his facial expressions.

Wait, McKain isn't comedian? I thought this was all a joke.

But then, I thought that about W too... :/

mheslep said:
Yes, oh yes, his years actually out there in the S. China Sea flying off flaming carriers and imprisoned in the Hanoi Hilton made him unstable, but fortunately we have you here unfeathered on this internet forum to present the case of the sane and enlightened, and to diagnose his facial expressions.

Well, I wasn't trying to diagnose him, but if I were, I'd say it was old age making him crazy. He came across as perfectly normal back in the day, including when he returned from the South China Sea.

loseyourname said:
McCain is really starting to strike me as moderately insane.

That has crossed my mind - perhaps things aren't quite working right anymore. I still admire him for much of what he has done in the past, and I mean politically, not just in VN, but of late I hardly recognize him.

Ivan Seeking said:
That has crossed my mind - perhaps things aren't quite working right anymore. I still admire him for much of what he has done in the past, and I mean politically, not just in VN, but of late I hardly recognize him.

I think the moment he really started to raise eyebrows to most people was when he spoke at Falwell's college last year after denouncing the man a few years earlier. As Jon Stewart noted, he descended into 'crazy base world'.

mheslep said:
We can't base a decision on a person's past performance. Many good people lose their minds as they grow older. My ex father in law was the most sane and grounded person I knew. Now he lives in a nursing home and thinks government spies are watching and recording his every move, sometimes he thinks he's back in WWII.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0520mccainbomb-ON-CP.html

Last edited:
Evo said:
We can't base a decision on a person's past performance. Many good people lose their minds as they grow older. My ex father in law was the most sane and grounded person I knew. Now he lives in a nursing home and thinks government spies are watching and recording his every move, sometimes he thinks he's back in WWII.

Of course, agreed. The gist of the thread (so far) however was hardly one strict evidence based decision making. It was more of "McCain said X which I disagree with, plus I saw him on TV once w/ some odd facial tics, therefore McCain is insane, a liar, blah, blah." It is not a serious critique. Seriousness is a relative thing, and so I set out to draw attention to the fact that relative to the above posters, Sen. McCain is a serious man esp. with respect to matters of armed conflict. One may say he's wrong, but he deserves a serious response - at least from US citizens.

ooops

McCain responded by accusing Cornyn of "making a 'chickens-t' argument to try to sink the delicate immigration package" and shouting, "[{F}Expletive] you! I know more about this than anyone else in the room."
http://www.pr-inside.com/dnc-temper-temper-immigration-outburst-r130186.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect McCain hits the vodka on the job. Some of his comments just come off as someone who has had a few shots and doesn't give a damn.

http://www.slate.com/id/2164277/

"I have no Plan B".

"I do believe that history shows us Americans will not continue to support an overseas engagement involving the loss of American lives for an unlimited period unless they see some success," he said. "And then, when they run out of patience, they will demand that we get out."

Just what the bleep happened to this guy. Did a microchip malfunctioned in his brain? He is mutating from a once was to a never is.

Related to McCain: Growing smaller by the day

1. What does the phrase "Growing smaller by the day" mean in relation to McCain?

The phrase refers to the physical and cognitive decline of Senator John McCain as he ages. It suggests that he is becoming weaker and less influential over time.

2. Is McCain experiencing any health issues that could impact his ability to fulfill his duties as a senator?

Yes, McCain has been battling brain cancer since 2017 and has undergone multiple surgeries and treatments. This has caused him to miss several Senate votes and has led to concerns about his ability to continue serving.

3. How has McCain's age affected his political career?

McCain, who is currently 84 years old, has been a senator for over 30 years and has faced criticism for his age and length of time in office. Some argue that he is out of touch with current issues and that his age limits his ability to effectively serve.

4. Has McCain's physical appearance changed significantly in recent years?

Yes, McCain's appearance has changed significantly since he first entered the political spotlight. He has lost weight and has a more frail appearance, which is often attributed to his age and health issues.

5. How has McCain's declining health impacted his political views and decisions?

It is difficult to say for certain how much McCain's health has influenced his political views and decisions. However, some have noted that he has become more outspoken and willing to challenge his own party's stance on certain issues since his cancer diagnosis.