Maxwell's Equations: Integral or Differential Form?

In summary, the integral form is easier to visualize and has more features than the differential form.

Which form?

• Integral

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Differential

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
romsofia
Which form do you prefer, the integral form or differential form?

EDIT: Forgot to say I prefer the integral form.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the tensor form! :D

Where's the option for "Who's Maxwell and what do these two terms mean"?

fluidistic said:
You forgot the tensor form! :D

I'm unfamiliar with the tensor form o.o! It would probably make little sense to me :P
Drakkith said:

They're 4 equations, and that ain't in this poll :P.

I would have liked to see the differential forms version of Maxwell's equations, very elegant way of expressing them. But since they aren't up there I would have to go with the differential form because the del operator looks cool =D

Drakkith said:

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to use both.

atyy said:

WTF was that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one of Maxwell's equations is your favorite? Mine is Faraday's equation.

Like the differential form! Altough i have just started them. MIT lectures are great! :smile:

Integral... how the hell am I supposed to calculate with the differential form without my head imploding? :redface:

Favourite one: Gauss's Law - the easiest concept to grasp imho. :shy:

Last edited:
What's more beautiful than [itex] dF= 0 [/itex] and [itex] \delta F=j [/itex] ? :wink:

I like this one best:
[tex]\square A^\alpha = \mu_0 J^\alpha[/tex]
That is, all of Maxwell's equations rolled into one simple equation! :smile:

dextercioby said:
What's more beautiful than [itex] dF= 0 [/itex] and [itex] \delta F=j [/itex] ? :wink:

Is [itex]\delta F [/itex] the same as [itex]d(\star F) [/itex]?

Essentially, up to a possible minus sign depending on the dimension of spacetime and metric signature , delta = * d * .

I like Serena said:
I like this one best:

Well, not really, the fundamental gauge symmetry is missing in your equation.

dextercioby said:
Well, not really, the fundamental gauge symmetry is missing in your equation.

I'm not familiar with fundamental gauge symmetry yet.
What is it?

Is it part of Maxwell's equations?

The integral form is easier to visualize because the curls turn into line and surface integrals which naturally illustrate relationships between things like enclosed current and MMF.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
I'm not familiar with fundamental gauge symmetry yet.
What is it?

Is it part of Maxwell's equations?

Yes, the reason we use potentials is quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. A quantum theory of the electromagnetic field cannot be built without dealing with the gauge symmetry first.

I like how we call them Maxwell's equations even tho it was Faraday and Heaviside that pretty much came up with them.

I like Serena said:
I like this one best:

As dexter was hinting at, Maxwell's equations can't be uniquely defined by that condition.

As far as the thread is concerned, the integral form of anything is noob-sauce.

dextercioby said:

Aha!
I had to read up on Maxwell's equations again before I understood (again).
There (wiki) I also found your equations, which were not familiar to me.

But now I understand that your 2 equations are an alternate form that represent all of Maxwell's equations! :smile:

Related to Maxwell's Equations: Integral or Differential Form?

The 5 most frequently asked questions about "Maxwell's Equations: Integral or Differential Form?":

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered to be one of the most important contributions to the field of electromagnetism.

2. What is the difference between the integral and differential forms of Maxwell's Equations?

The integral form of Maxwell's Equations expresses the relationships between electric and magnetic fields in terms of surface and line integrals, while the differential form relates them in terms of partial derivatives. The two forms are mathematically equivalent and can be used interchangeably, but the differential form is often preferred for its simplicity and ease of use in solving problems.

3. Which form of Maxwell's Equations is more commonly used?

The differential form of Maxwell's Equations is more commonly used in practice, especially in engineering and physics applications. This is because it is easier to manipulate and apply in calculations and simulations.

4. How do the integral and differential forms of Maxwell's Equations relate to each other?

The integral and differential forms of Maxwell's Equations are related through the fundamental theorem of calculus. The integral form can be derived from the differential form by applying this theorem, and the differential form can be obtained from the integral form by taking the appropriate derivatives.

5. Why are Maxwell's Equations important?

Maxwell's Equations are important because they provide a comprehensive understanding of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They have numerous practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as radio, television, and telecommunications. They also play a crucial role in our understanding of light and the fundamental laws of electromagnetism.