F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle (converting differential equations into integral equations)

Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Differential to Integral Equations
Hello

May I begin by saying I do not exactly know what I am asking, but here goes...

In the Finite Element Method (as used in Solid Mechanics), we convert the differential equations of continuum mechanics into integral form. Here, I am thinking of the more pragmatic Principle of Virtual Work, rather that exploiting the more mathematically sophisticated strong/weak formulations (but no matter on that detail)

In Hamilton's Principle, we reformulate Newtonian Dynamics into Analytical Dynamics, but extremizing the Action of the Lagrangian.

Now, in both cases, we convert differential equations into integral equations.

So something is happening here... this act of converting differential into integral. Through the haze of my confusion I can sort of see that the result is more easily addressed with computer programming

Could someone elaborate, perhaps a bit more philosophically, on what is happening when we do these things.

In one sense, both processes relate to variational methods, but is something going on here that these two approaches (sort of) resemble each other, in a way)?

Or am I thinking a bit silly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle?

F.E.M (Finite Element Method) is a numerical technique used to solve differential equations by converting them into integral equations. Hamilton's Principle is a mathematical principle that states that the motion of a physical system is determined by a single integral equation, called the action integral.

2. How does F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle work?

F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle work by discretizing the domain of the differential equations into smaller elements, and then using a variational approach to convert the equations into a single integral equation. This integral equation is then solved using numerical methods to obtain a solution to the original differential equations.

3. What are the advantages of using F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle?

One of the main advantages of using F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle is that it allows for the solution of complex differential equations that cannot be solved analytically. It also provides a more accurate and efficient solution compared to traditional numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle?

F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are commonly used in structural analysis, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetics, among others.

5. What are the limitations of F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle?

One limitation of F.E.M and Hamilton's Principle is that they require a lot of computational resources, especially for complex problems. They also rely on the accuracy of the discretization of the domain, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, they may not be suitable for problems with highly irregular boundaries.