Maximum surface area of cylinder

In summary, Songoku's proof proves that the total surface area of a solid cylinder is minimum when its height and base diameter are equal. However, you cannot find the maximum surface area because r always stays positive.
songoku

Homework Statement

Given that a solid cylinder has a fixed volume V, prove that its total surface area S is minimum when its height and base diameter are equal.

Homework Equations

derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to prove that question.

[tex]V=\pi r^2 h[/tex]

[tex]h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}[/tex]

So, to get minimum surface area:

[tex]\frac{dS}{dr}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(2\pi r h + 2 \pi r^2)=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(2\pi r \frac{V}{\pi r^2} + 2 \pi r^2)=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(2\frac{V}{r}+2 \pi r^2)=0[/tex]

[tex]-2\frac{V}{r^2}+4\pi r=0[/tex]

[tex]2\frac{V}{r^2}=4\pi r[/tex]

[tex]2\frac{\pi r^2 h}{r^2}=4\pi r[/tex]

[tex]h=d\; \text{(Shown)}[/tex]

So,with h = d, the minimum surface area is :

[tex]S=2\pi r (2r) + 2\pi r^2[/tex]

[tex]S=6\pi r^2[/tex]

What I want to ask is : how about if the question asks to find the maximum surface area?

I think to find the maximum value, we also set [tex]\frac{dS}{dr}=0[/tex]. From my work, I don't see any ways to find the maximum value...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no maximum surface area. If you examine the equation for S that you derived:

[tex]S=\(2\frac{V}{r}+2 \pi r^2[/tex]

As r gets very big, S approaches infinity. Similarly, as r gets very small, S also approaches infinity.

To visualize this, if you squash the cylinder so that it has a tiny height, the bases can be expanded to keep the volume constant. Since the bases can be expanded to any size, the maximum surface area is infinite. If you squeeze the cylinder so that it has a tiny radius but large height, surface area would also increase, but it's a bit harder to see this intuitively.

songoku said:
What I want to ask is : how about if the question asks to find the maximum surface area?

I think to find the maximum value, we also set [tex]\frac{dS}{dr}=0[/tex]. From my work, I don't see any ways to find the maximum value...

Thanks

Hi songoku! :smile:

Your proof is fine, but technically you haven't actually proved that r = d gives a minimum volume …

you've only proved that the volume has exactly one stationary value. :wink:

Now you must
i] show it's a minimum
ii] (to find the maxima) use the physical fact that d and h must both be greater than 0. :smile:

Hi ideasrule and tiny-tim :)

You're right tiny-tim. Technically I haven't actually proved that h = d gives a minimum volume. I tried but not sure if it's right. I used second derivative test.

[tex]\frac{dS}{dr}=-2\frac{V}{r^2}+4\pi r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2S}{dr^2}=4\frac{V}{r^3}+4\pi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2S}{dr^2}=4\frac{\pi r^2h}{r^3}+4\pi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2S}{dr^2}=\frac{4\pi h}{r}+4\pi[/tex]For h = d :

[tex]\frac{d^2S}{dr^2}=12 \pi[/tex]

Since [tex]\frac{d^2S}{dr^2}>0[/tex] , it's minimum value.For maxima, I think ideasrule is right. But I don't know how to use the physical fact that d and h must both be greater than 0 to get maxima value. Is it the same as ideasrule's work?

songoku said:
I used second derivative test.

[tex]\frac{dS}{dr}=-2\frac{V}{r^2}+4\pi r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2S}{dr^2}=4\frac{V}{r^3}+4\pi[/tex] …

eugh!

you should have stopped there!

you don't need to know what d2S/dr2 is, you only need to know whether it's positive!

and it always is, since V and r are always positive! :wink:
For maxima, I think ideasrule is right. But I don't know how to use the physical fact that d and h must both be greater than 0 to get maxima value. Is it the same as ideasrule's work?

Since d2S/dr2 > 0, it has only one minimum and no other turning-point for r > 0 …

so in the range r > 0, S has (or, rather, approaches) a maximum at the two end-points, 0 and ∞. :smile:

Hi tiny-tim :wink:

Oh I get it. Great thanks for your help !

And also thank you idearules. :smile:

Related to Maximum surface area of cylinder

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the maximum surface area of a cylinder is A = 2πr² + 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you determine the optimal dimensions for a cylinder with a maximum surface area?

To determine the optimal dimensions for a cylinder with a maximum surface area, you can use the derivative of the surface area formula and set it equal to zero. This will give you the critical points, which can then be used to find the optimal dimensions.

3. What is the relationship between the maximum surface area of a cylinder and its volume?

The maximum surface area of a cylinder is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the surface area increases, so does the volume, and vice versa. However, this is only true if the height remains constant.

4. Can a cylinder have an infinite maximum surface area?

No, a cylinder cannot have an infinite maximum surface area. The maximum surface area of a cylinder is limited by its height and radius, so it cannot be infinite.

5. What real-life applications involve maximizing the surface area of a cylinder?

Real-life applications that involve maximizing the surface area of a cylinder include designing storage containers, water tanks, and pipes. It can also be used in architecture to determine the optimal dimensions for columns or pillars.