Maximum number of characters in thread title

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, the limit for the thread summary is 250 characters. 100 characters for the title seems to be a good number.What can you say in 100 what you couldn't in 70?Nobody wants to read a novel in the title. Just leave out formulas which are hard to find by search engines anyway.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The maximum number of characters allowed in a thread title seems to be 70. I have often faced trouble while trying to maintain this limit and make a meaningful title at the same time. Can this be increased to 100 characters at least? The limit for the thread summary is 250 characters, so 100 characters for the title seems to be a good number.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say in 100 what you couldn't in 70? Nobody wants to read a novel in the title. Just leave out formulas which are hard to find by search engines anyway.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50
fresh_42 said:
What can you say in 100 what you couldn't in 70?
Consider this title: "Java is introducing jpackage: a command-line tool for creating executables from jar files" (89 characters). I can replace "creating executables from" with "packaging", and that makes it 73 characters. I can further replace "Java is" with "Java's", but I am not very fond of contractions in the title.

Someone will surely be able to contract the title further, but I cannot keep posting titles here, requesting people to shorten it out.
fresh_42 said:
Nobody wants to read a novel in the title.
You have an insight article with the title "A Journey to The Manifold SU(2): Differentiation, Spheres and Fiber Bundles". In my opinion, this is not a novel, although it is 75 characters long.

100 is just a round figure. Even making the length 80 or 90 characters will be helpful in most cases.

Wrichik Basu said:
The maximum number of characters allowed in a thread title seems to be 70.
I've noticed that after I create a new thread with its title, etc., that I can go back later and edit the title and make it longer. Have you tried that? Maybe give that a try to see what the maximum is for an edited title. It may be a Mentor superpower, or it may be available to everybody...

• Love
Likes Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
I've noticed that after I create a new thread with its title, etc., that I can go back later and edit the title and make it longer. Have you tried that?
Nope, because I didn't know the title can be made longer if I edit it later. Just tried it in this thread, and the limit was 150 characters. Thanks a ton! Problem solved.

Wrichik Basu said:
Consider this title: "Java is introducing jpackage: a command-line tool for creating executables from jar files" (89 characters). I can replace "creating executables from" with "packaging", and that makes it 73 characters. I can further replace "Java is" with "Java's", but I am not very fond of contractions in the title.

Someone will surely be able to contract the title further, but I cannot keep posting titles here, requesting people to shorten it out.
".exe files from .jar files by jpackage" Where is the problem?
You have an insight article with the title "A Journey to The Manifold SU(2): Differentiation, Spheres and Fiber Bundles". In my opinion, this is not a novel, although it is 75 characters long.
That is title (insight) and subtitle (part 1). Transcripted to a thread it would have been title and summary.
100 is just a round figure. Even making the length 80 or 90 characters will be helpful in most cases.
And I think 50 would be sufficient. Also a nice round number. Babylonians might have considered 60 a nice round number. Or 32 measured in bytes. Or 36, a word. This is meanwhile hardly an argument. The rule for titles is: the shorter the good.

Likes pbuk
Wrichik Basu said:
Thanks a ton! Problem solved.
Problem worsened.

We have a nice German word for that: "verschlimmbessert". Improvement by worsening.

Likes berkeman
Wrichik Basu said:
Nope, because I didn't know the title can be made longer if I edit it later. Just tried it in this thread, and the limit was 150 characters. Thanks a ton! Problem solved.
But please keep in mind that lots of long thread titles will clutter up the forum, so still try to keep the title fairly brief but very descriptive. Just as 1-2 word titles are not descriptive and may prevent folks from clicking into the thread, a long verbose title may have the same effect. :wink:

Likes Wrichik Basu
This is done because Google cuts off titles around 65 characters. Long titles also crowd the thread list pages.

Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu

Related to Maximum number of characters in thread title

What is the maximum number of characters allowed in a thread title?

The maximum number of characters allowed in a thread title varies depending on the platform or website. However, a general rule of thumb is to keep the title under 100 characters to ensure it is concise and easily readable.

Why is there a limit on the number of characters in a thread title?

The limit on the number of characters in a thread title is usually set to maintain the overall appearance and readability of the platform. Too many characters in a title can make it difficult to read and may also affect the layout of the page.

Can I exceed the maximum number of characters in a thread title?

It is not recommended to exceed the maximum number of characters in a thread title. Doing so may result in the title being cut off or appearing distorted on certain devices or platforms.

What happens if I exceed the maximum number of characters in a thread title?

If you exceed the maximum number of characters in a thread title, the title may be truncated or cut off on certain devices or platforms. This can make it difficult for other users to understand the topic of the thread.

Is there a way to check the character count of my thread title before posting it?

Yes, most platforms or websites have a character count feature that allows you to see the number of characters in your thread title before posting it. This can help you ensure that your title is within the allowed limit.