How Will Different Industries Respond to Coronavirus?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coronavirus
In summary, different economic sectors are attempting to carry on with their activities while control viral spread. Some are relying on traditional methods such as shooting techniques and avoiding physical contact on set. Others, such as the film and entertainment industry, are using more creative approaches such as incorporating mannequins and time jumps in the plot line. Sports leagues are also carrying on with their normal activities, although some are shortened or have changed their strategies. When failures occur, such as with a 40+ person squad, they will need to address the possibility of virus transmission.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What kinds of efforts will different facets of the economy take to carry on with their activities while control viral spread?
How effective will they be?
Different kinds of activities will require different approaches.

One example is the film/entertainment industry.
Here is a NY Times article about how the entertainment part of the economy is trying to cope, focusing on more physical intimacy. These approaches have included the following:
  • mannequins (combined with shooting techniques to avoid showing the mannequin is inanimate
  • rewritting to avoid depictions of contact
    • innuendo-laden scripts
    • installments that dives deep into the story of one or two characters, often with a limited number of sets — in order to help manage the number of people present during filming.
    • “We’ve done mysterious diseases, so my hope is that ‘Riverdale’ will be an escape from the real world, rather than a reflection,” Aguirre-Sacasa said. A previously planned five to six-year time jump in the plotline will also help skirt the Coronavirus issue.
    • “The joke among the writers,” he added, “is that we will watch two characters say they want to have sex and then cut to them saying, ‘That was some great sex.’”
  • aggressive testing of cast and crew
  • quarantining, on-set medical professionals
  • camera wizardry, illusion
    • “Smoke and mirrors,” the “You” showrunner Sera Gamble said, “are basically the entire job description of making cinematic entertainment. Everything requires fakery.”
Another are what the various sports leagues.
Some are just cancelling (some college sports).
Some which make a lot of money are trying to different approaches.
I am vaguely aware of different groups doing lots of testing or creating a "bubble" (which I guess people will be isolated in), but its not clear to me how effective these different approaches can do.
Some seasons have been shortened.
Getting (and keeping) a medium sized population of disease free athletes (and support crew) might be difficult.
Larger numbers make this more difficult.
What will they do when there failures (someone on a 40+ squad (plus coaches, trainers, etc.) gets sick) where virus could have been transmitted it to others with in the "bubble"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent question. In the high-tech sector, I think it has been a wakeup call to companies that they really could transition much more of their workforce to work-at-home (which was already done on a limited basis), with only an occasional need to go into the office.

Here in Silicon Valley, this has left many large beautiful office buildings mostly vacant, with a lingering question, "Why did we build all of these large buildings anyway?". As I drive into work (I'm an essential employee who works in a large electronics lab, so I can only do about half of my work from home via the Internet), I see so many empty buildings and parking lots now for companies that obviously do the majority of their work via the Internet. With 20-20 hindsight, the construction of those buildings was largely unnecessary, and a typical 5-10 building campus could easily be compressed into one of those buildings.

I'm not sure who loses the money on these cases -- the large companies have probably signed multi-year leases with the building owners/construction companies. But when those leases expire, I have the feeling that they will not be renewed on the majority of those buildings, and stock in Internet companies and infrastructure will keep rising. Strange new world.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly, some believe that the virus may have advanced the introduction of AI/automation into more parts of our economy by 10 years.

gleem said:
Not surprisingly, some believe that the virus may have advanced the introduction of AI/automation into more parts of our economy by 10 years.
Interesting. How so?

1. How has the healthcare industry responded to the coronavirus pandemic?

The healthcare industry has been at the forefront of responding to the coronavirus pandemic. Hospitals and healthcare facilities have increased their capacity, implemented new safety measures, and developed protocols for testing and treating COVID-19 patients. Additionally, healthcare providers have shifted to telemedicine and virtual appointments to continue caring for patients while minimizing the risk of exposure.

2. What impact has the coronavirus had on the travel and tourism industry?

The coronavirus has had a significant impact on the travel and tourism industry. Due to travel restrictions and safety concerns, many people have canceled or postponed their travel plans, resulting in a decrease in revenue for airlines, hotels, and other businesses in the tourism sector. The industry is slowly recovering as more countries ease restrictions and implement safety protocols, but it may take some time to return to pre-pandemic levels.

3. How have retailers and consumer goods companies adapted to the coronavirus?

Retailers and consumer goods companies have had to adapt quickly to the changing circumstances brought about by the coronavirus. Many brick-and-mortar stores have shifted to online sales and contactless delivery to continue serving customers. Some companies have also adjusted their production to manufacture essential goods such as hand sanitizers and face masks. The pandemic has also accelerated the trend towards e-commerce and digital shopping experiences.

4. What measures have been taken by the entertainment industry in response to the coronavirus?

The entertainment industry has been greatly impacted by the coronavirus, with movie theaters, concert venues, and other live events being canceled or postponed. In response, many production companies have delayed the release of films and TV shows, and some have shifted to streaming services to reach a wider audience. Virtual concerts and performances have also become popular, allowing artists to continue entertaining their fans while adhering to social distancing guidelines.

5. How have businesses in the service industry been affected by the coronavirus?

The service industry, which includes restaurants, bars, and other hospitality businesses, has been severely impacted by the coronavirus. Many establishments have had to close temporarily or permanently due to the economic downturn, and those that have remained open have implemented strict safety measures and limited capacity. Delivery and takeout options have become crucial for these businesses to continue operating during the pandemic.