Maximum eror in calculated surface area

In summary, to estimate the maximum error in the calculated surface area of a sphere with a measured circumference of 73.000 cm and a possible error of 0.50000 cm, use linear approximation by solving for the radius and plugging it into Eq2 with the value of dr as 0.50000/2π. However, this may result in an incorrect value as it calculates the error in the measured volume instead of the measured surface area.
Weave

Homework Statement

The circumference of a sphere was measured to be 73.000 cm with a possible error of 0.50000 cm. Use linear approximation to estimate the maximum error in the calculated surface area

Homework Equations

[tex]SA=4\pi\(r^2[/tex] Eq1.
[tex]dV=8\pi\(rdr[/tex] Eq2.
[tex]c=2\pi\(r[/tex] Eq3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the radius by [tex]r=\frac{73}{2\pi}[/tex]
I then plugged r into Eq2, I set [tex]dr= \frac{.5}{2\pi}[/tex]
I get something like 134.98 and it is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out.

You are calculating the error in the measured volume - not in the measured surface area.

Related to Maximum eror in calculated surface area

What is maximum error in calculated surface area?

Maximum error in calculated surface area refers to the largest possible difference between the estimated surface area of an object and its true surface area.

How is maximum error in calculated surface area calculated?

Maximum error in calculated surface area is calculated by finding the difference between the estimated surface area and the true surface area, and then taking the absolute value of this difference.

Why is maximum error in calculated surface area important?

Maximum error in calculated surface area is important because it helps to quantify the accuracy of measurements and calculations. It allows scientists to understand the level of uncertainty in their results and make informed decisions based on this information.

What are some factors that can contribute to maximum error in calculated surface area?

Some factors that can contribute to maximum error in calculated surface area include measurement errors, rounding errors, and assumptions made during the calculation process. Other factors may include the complexity of the object's shape and the precision of the measuring tools used.

How can maximum error in calculated surface area be minimized?

To minimize maximum error in calculated surface area, scientists can use more precise measuring tools, take multiple measurements, and carefully consider and minimize any assumptions made during the calculation process. Additionally, using more advanced mathematical techniques and algorithms may also help reduce the maximum error in the calculated surface area.