Maximizing Efficiency: The Impact of Wind Resistance on Cycling Speed

• Thread starter Paulie Paulie
  • Start date
In summary, wind resistance has a significant impact on cycling speed and can greatly decrease overall efficiency. Cyclists can improve their speed by reducing their frontal area, using aerodynamic equipment, and positioning themselves to reduce drag. Additionally, riding in a group or drafting behind other cyclists can help reduce wind resistance and increase efficiency. Proper training and technique can also play a crucial role in minimizing the effects of wind resistance on cycling speed. By understanding and addressing the impact of wind resistance, cyclists can improve their performance and maximize their efficiency on the road.
Paulie Paulie
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hi All. Apologies in advance as this is my first post so still learning the rules but I have an issue that no one has this far been able to answer. It started one day when my brother and I where riding our bikes and we had a tail wind of day 20 kilometres per hour. We were also riding at a speed of 20 kph and I said to him stay low as this will take less energy to pedal. The question is, and this is theoretical, if a rider is riding at 20 kph, on level ground and has a tail wind also exactly that same at 20 kph, would laying down lower give you any type of gain in terms of providing you better wind resistance. I’m sure someone could word the question better than I can, and I understand there could be outside variables but if we could ignore those and simply look at the basic question of what I am trying to understand. I have had engineers argue this and no one has so far been able to resolve the question. I appreciate you help in advance. Cheers Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Paul.

*1* As shown in the big giant stickie thread at the top of the Introductions forum, please do not post questions in the Introductions forum. It's just for simple introduction posts (hence the name).

*2* As for your question, leaning down to lower wind resistance only applies when there is actually a headwind (whether from real wind or your own induced headwind due to your speed). If the relative headwind is zero, just sit up in the most comfortable position for you. If there is a net tailwind, sit up straight like a sail.

Thread is locked. @Paulie Paulie -- If you have follow-on questions, please start a new thread in the Mechanical Engineering forum where we usually discuss aero questions. Thanks. :smile:

Likes Paulie Paulie