Feasibility of Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Starshot

• B
  • Thread starter Quotidian
  • Start date
In summary, Yuri Milner's 'Breakthrough Starshot' proposes using laser-powered spacecraft to send a small craft to Alpha Centauri, where it would send back data on the planets orbiting that star. The project has potential military applications, but much of the progress remains classified.
Quotidian
TL;DR Summary
How far can laser control of a small spacecraft extend?
I've been reading about Yuri Milner's 'Breakthrough Starshot'. It posits sending a very small craft, less than 1 gram, to Alpha Centauri, by way of a lightsail propelled by an array of lasers fired from Earth. It is proposed that this craft will be able to reach 30% of light speed, i.e. around 100 million kph, and would reach its destination in about 20 years at that speed. Once there, it would send back data on the planets orbiting that star, by signals that would take four years to reach Earth (that system being four light-years distant.)

I'm very interested in this idea and have spent some time perusing their website, but there's one obvious question that strikes me, which is, how far could control be extended by way of a laser beam fired from earth? Surely not the hundreds of billions, or trillions, of kilometers that would seem to be required by this proposal? It seems an obvious defeater for the idea but maybe there's something I don't understand about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The lasers are only used during the brief acceleration phase. Of the order of 10 minutes, up to a distance of maybe 2 light minutes or ~30 million km. Afterwards the spacecraft continue on whatever trajectory they got from this acceleration phase. Many will miss, but some can get close enough to be useful.

Likes anorlunda and Quotidian
Right! Well, that's something I missed from watching the intro video and the other materials. Thanks. (I notice that all the news items on the site are from 2016-17 so I wonder if there's been much progress on it.)

Quotidian said:
Right! Well, that's something I missed from watching the intro video and the other materials. Thanks. (I notice that all the news items on the site are from 2016-17 so I wonder if there's been much progress on it.)

Large parts of the project have potential military applications. Any progress will be classified.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore

Related to Feasibility of Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Starshot

What is the purpose of Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Starshot?

The purpose of Breakthrough Starshot is to send a fleet of tiny spacecrafts, called "StarChips", to the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, in order to explore and potentially gather data on any potentially habitable planets.

How will the StarChips be propelled to reach Alpha Centauri?

The StarChips will be propelled using a powerful laser beam from Earth. This laser beam will provide the necessary thrust for the StarChips to reach speeds of up to 20% of the speed of light.

What are the challenges in making Breakthrough Starshot feasible?

Some of the major challenges include developing the necessary technology to accelerate the StarChips to such high speeds, ensuring the durability and functionality of the StarChips during the long journey, and finding a way to receive and transmit data from the StarChips back to Earth.

What are the potential benefits of Breakthrough Starshot?

If successful, Breakthrough Starshot could potentially revolutionize space exploration by allowing us to reach distant star systems within our lifetime. It could also provide valuable insights and data on the potential for life on other planets.

What are the potential risks of Breakthrough Starshot?

Some potential risks include the potential for the StarChips to collide with space debris during their journey, the potential for the laser beam to cause damage to the Earth's atmosphere, and the ethical considerations of potentially contaminating other planets with human-made technology.