Maximal solution Interval ODE question

However, according to my textbook, a maximal solution is one that cannot be obtained from another solution as a restriction to a smaller interval. This means that the solution exists only on a specific interval and cannot be extended beyond that.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Given an ODE

[tex]h(y(t)) \frac{dy}{dt} = q(t)[/tex]

How do I define the maximal solution of this equation?

According to my textbook for this course a maximal solution for the above problem if it cannot be obtained from another solution as a restriction to a smaller interval.

I have been looking through many textbooks both in the in Lib and on google books.

Is there anyone here who would explain maximal solution in layman terms to me?

I know howto solve most ODE's and IVP and some BVP. But is the max interval of solution just the interval on which the solution of the ODE is defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations h(y(t)) \frac{dy}{dt} = q(t)The Attempt at a Solution I have tried to look at many textbooks and online resources to try and understand the concept of maximal solution of an ODE. I believe the max interval of solution is just the interval on which the solution of the ODE is defined.

Related to Maximal solution Interval ODE question

1. What is a maximal solution interval for an ODE?

The maximal solution interval for an ODE is the largest interval on which a unique solution to the differential equation exists. It is usually determined by the initial conditions and the properties of the equation.

2. How is a maximal solution interval calculated?

The maximal solution interval is calculated by finding the interval on which the right-hand side of the ODE is continuous and satisfies the existence and uniqueness theorem. This interval can be determined using techniques such as separation of variables or the Picard-Lindelöf theorem.

3. Can the maximal solution interval change?

Yes, the maximal solution interval can change depending on the initial conditions or if the equation is altered in any way. It is important to recalculate the maximal solution interval if there are any changes to the equation or initial conditions.

4. What happens if the solution interval is not maximal?

If the solution interval is not maximal, it means that the solution does not exist for the entire interval. In this case, the solution may have a singularity or a discontinuity at the endpoints of the interval. It is important to consider these points when analyzing the solution.

5. Can the maximal solution interval be infinite?

Yes, in some cases, the maximal solution interval can be infinite. This can occur when the ODE is autonomous (independent of time) and the right-hand side is globally Lipschitz. In this case, the solution can exist for all real numbers.