Matrix Algebra Homework: Solving a 6x2 Matrix with Variables to the Second Power

In summary, the individual has been working on a physics problem for 90 minutes and is struggling with using matrix algebra to solve a 6 by 2 matrix. They are unsure if matrix algebra can be used for variables of different powers and also have another equation that would expand the matrix to 3 by 9. However, the system is currently underdetermined with 3 equations and 4 unknowns.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

For the last 90 minutes I've been working on this problem.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=582722

I don't know if it's been solved but I don't care because I really like the challenge of it. I'm at the point now in the problem where my knowledge of matrix algebra is coming up short. I need to know

1. where to look to find out how to solve a 6 by 2 matrix.
2. whether it is even possible to use matrix algebra if some of the variables are taken to the second power
3. whether the exact values of the below variables can even be found or am i just wasting my time on a dead end.

here are the equations I have worked out

s2 - 6s + h2 - 8h - p2 + 10p = 0, p < 5
s2 + h2 - p2 = 0

Again, I'm not sure if variables of different powers can be used in a matrix, they probably cannot, but if they can that would make for the following matrix

1 -6 1 -8 -1 10
1 0 1 0 -1 0

I also have another equation

s2 + 6s + h2 + 2sd + 6d - 9 = 0

but that would expand my matrix into 3 by 9 which might be larger than necessary.

I'm going to try to express h and s in terms of p right now, but it will be very clumsy and will take a while.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your system is underdetermined, you've got 3 equations and 4 unknowns.

Related to Matrix Algebra Homework: Solving a 6x2 Matrix with Variables to the Second Power

1. How do I solve a 6x2 matrix with variables to the second power?

Solving a 6x2 matrix with variables to the second power involves using the rules of matrix algebra, such as matrix addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inverse operations. You will also need to use the power rule to simplify any terms with variables to the second power. It is important to carefully follow the order of operations and perform any necessary calculations before substituting values into the matrix.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this type of matrix problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a 6x2 matrix with variables to the second power. Most scientific or graphing calculators have a matrix function that allows you to input the matrix, perform operations, and solve for variables. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the problem rather than solely relying on a calculator.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a 6x2 matrix with variables to the second power?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not following the order of operations, not correctly applying the power rule, and making errors when substituting values into the matrix. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct signs (+ or -) when performing operations.

4. How can I check my solution for a 6x2 matrix with variables to the second power?

You can check your solution by substituting the values into the original matrix and performing the necessary operations. The resulting matrix should have the same values as your solution. You can also check by using a calculator to input the matrix and solving for the variables to confirm that they match your solution.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving a 6x2 matrix with variables to the second power?

Some helpful tips include carefully following the order of operations, simplifying terms with variables to the second power using the power rule, and checking your solution for accuracy. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and to practice with similar matrix problems to build your understanding of the concepts.