Construct a 2x2 matrix that expresses a given transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a 2x2 matrix with certain properties and the equations used to solve it. The solution involves four equations with four variables, but the fourth equation is not linear. However, it is found that the solution still satisfies the fifth equation, which may seem like a lucky coincidence.
Aleoa

Homework Statement

I have to costruct a 2x2 matrix so that :

Schermata 2018-04-16 10:05:27.png

The Attempt at a Solution

M =[itex]\begin{bmatrix}
a & b\\ c &d
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Using the first bond i got : c+2d = 2a+4b (1)
using the second bond : d = -b (2)

And then, as a nilpotent matrix has det = 0 and tr = 0, i got

a+d-2=0 (3)
ad-a-d+1=bc (4)

The problem comes here, i get 4 equations with 4 variables, but the 4th equation is not linear, in fact it's a second order equation.
Is it possible that in a linear algebra problem i get an equation that's not linear , or i made some errors ?

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-04-16 10:05:27.png
    Schermata 2018-04-16 10:05:27.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 625
Physics news on Phys.org
Aleoa said:
i get 4 equations with 4 variables
But your equation (1) is in fact two equations:
## a+2b = 1 \ \& \ c+2d = 2 \ ##. So you don't worry about your eq (4) which is in fact the 5th equation (luckily :rolleyes: it is satisfied).

Linear algebra has plenty higher order equations: think e.g. of finding eigenvalues.

Likes Aleoa
BvU said:
## a+2b = 1 \ \& \ c+2d = 2 \ ##. So you don't worry about your eq (4) which is in fact the 5th equation (luckily :rolleyes: it is satisfied).

Linear algebra has plenty higher order equations: think e.g. of finding eigenvalues.

But... if i try to solve the system of equations (1),(2),(3) I can't find a unique solution. Only if i add the fourth equation is can find it.

ps : It could have happened, that in an exercise like the one i posted, the intersection beetween the 3 linear equation with the second order equation gives multiple solutions ?

Last edited:
Aleoa said:
But... if i try to solve the system of equations (1),(2),(3) I can't find a unique solution
Of course. You have lost one equation by writing " c+2d = 2a+4b "
instead of ##\ \ ## " ##\ \ ##c+2d = 2 ##\ \ ## and ##\ \ ##a+2b = 1 ##\ \ ## "

I wrote
BvU said:
luckily :rolleyes: it is satisfied
for equation 5. I leave it to you to prove that the solution of { (1a), (1b), (2), (3) } satisfies equation 5. There must be a good reason for that -- I don't believe in lucky coincidences.

BvU said:

BvU said:
Of course. You have lost one equation by writing " c+2d = 2a+4b "
instead of ##\ \ ## " ##\ \ ##c+2d = 2 ##\ \ ## and ##\ \ ##a+2b = 1 ##\ \ ## "

I wrote
for equation 5. I leave it to you to prove that the solution of { (1a), (1b), (2), (3) } satisfies equation 5. There must be a good reason for that -- I don't believe in lucky coincidences.

Perfect, now my error is clear. The only thing i don't understand is how intuitively deduce that the 5th is already satisfied ( without doing the calculations)

I have the same problem o0)

Related to Construct a 2x2 matrix that expresses a given transformation

1. How do you create a 2x2 matrix for a transformation?

To create a 2x2 matrix for a transformation, you need to identify the coordinates of the original points and the transformed points. Then, you can use these coordinates to fill in the matrix in a specific format.

2. What is the purpose of using a 2x2 matrix for a transformation?

A 2x2 matrix is used to represent a transformation because it can easily show the relationship between the original points and the transformed points. It also allows for easy calculations and analysis of the transformation.

3. Can you explain the structure of a 2x2 transformation matrix?

A 2x2 transformation matrix has four entries, with two rows and two columns. The entries in the first row represent the transformation of the x-coordinate, while the entries in the second row represent the transformation of the y-coordinate.

4. What are some common transformations that can be represented by a 2x2 matrix?

Some common transformations that can be represented by a 2x2 matrix include translation, rotation, reflection, and dilation. Each of these transformations will have a specific structure in the matrix.

5. How do you use a 2x2 transformation matrix to perform multiple transformations?

To perform multiple transformations using a 2x2 matrix, you can simply multiply the transformation matrices together in the order that you want the transformations to occur. This will result in a single matrix that represents all the transformations applied.