Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mathmaniac here!!!

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
Hello everyone,
This is mathmaniac from the MyMathForum.MARKFL brought me here.I am hoping that I can get help on my math investigations here.......

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello and welcome to MHB, mathmaniac!

I'm happy you decided to register and participate. If you have any questions about using the forums here, please feel free to ask me or another staff member. I hope you enjoy your time here and find it productive too.

Best Regards,

Mark.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
This forum or site is feeling strange to me.
I hope you guys can help me out.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
This forum or site is feeling strange to me.
I hope you guys can help me out.
Hah , welcome , it is nice to see you here. what is so strange ?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
If you need help with any aspect of using the forums, just let us know. You will find the members here to be extremely helpful. (Yes)

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I mean different from MMF,more of a social media.
Hi mathmaniac,

Welcome to MHB! :)

Well we have a Twitter account and Facebook page, but that's not really our focus. Those are just things every site needs to have these days unfortunately. We do look quite different than MMF but most users really like our look and to be honest vBulletin software has far more capabilities than phpBB. So take some time and I think you'll get used to our look, maybe even like it :)

Jameson

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
But honestly I don't like these pop ups.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
can you see the pic?

Attachments

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Yep, I can see it. Are you talking about the advertisements? We have those because we have a lot of costs as a new site. We should add a feature this year where you can pay a small fee to get rid of ads.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
But it destroys the look of this site.
What can I call MHB a site or forum?

Is this a coincidence?
I have rarely seen admins actve online......

Last edited by a moderator:

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
[JUSTIFY]Maintaining a forum is not free, and the math helpers work for free too (I presume). Ads are basically the only way for a website to make money to pay their bills without making the user pay. This is not specific to MHB. And I much prefer having to deal with an ad or two and the possibility of donating when possible, than having to pay to use the website, or a ridiculous "premium" feature which divides the userbase into castes (as in a recurring thing, I mean, a discreet one-time fee would be fine I guess).[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]And MHB is still a very small website which is trying to grow, and I'm sure Jameson (and everyone else) is also displeased with having to use ads, but there is really no alternative that will please everyone. It's just a fact of life.[/JUSTIFY]

Is this a coincidence?
[JUSTIFY]Every time I check in MHB to look at posts or the chatbox (rather often) Jameson is almost always online, and at least one admin is online at almost all times. I'm not sure what you are seeing but it certainly is very different than what I'm seeing.[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
You may call MHB either a site or a forum. Our site contains math forums, or sub-forums if you will. It is a forum for the discussion of math-related topics.

There is a cost associated with running a site, and many sites use ads as a way of paying for some or all of these costs. Many sites have these...think of it like watching television...the networks play commercials to bring in revenue.

If you have not participated on many forums, this may be new to you, but it is simply the way things are done on most sites. (Smile)

You will find that there is at least one administrator and one moderator online virtually around the clock. The staff is very involved here.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
But phbb forums are different,aren't they?​

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, the software is different. Just take your time and explore the site, I think you will come to recognize that this site has many great features you won't find elsewhere.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
Yeah,the chat room is great where you can get to know other members personally.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
But honestly I don't like these pop ups.
can you see the pic?
Hi mathmanic, :)

Welcome to MHB. I know, nobody likes to see adds popping up, but as Jameson, Bacterius and Mark had pointed out that's the only way the admins could pay the costs associated with maintaining this site without users having to pay for anything. But I am sure that once we grow to have several thousand active members the number and frequency of adds will surely be reduced. Let us hope that day will come soon. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Is this a coincidence?
[JUSTIFY]Every time I check in MHB to look at posts or the chatbox (rather often) Jameson is almost always online, and at least one admin is online at almost all times. I'm not sure what you are seeing but it certainly is very different than what I'm seeing.[/JUSTIFY]
You will find that there is at least one administrator and one moderator online virtually around the clock. The staff is very involved here.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that mathmaniac is referring to not seeing admins active online... at other sites. In other words, he's comparing MHB to other sites in terms of the activity of the admins. Am I right mathmaniac?

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
Yeah,an admin with about 1,220 posts is really great.I think he has the largest number of posts here.Am I right?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

agentmulder

Feb 9, 2012
Hey mathmaniac, i see you're brainteasing everyone here as well LOL!

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013