Longest word such that each 3 letter subset (in order)is also a word

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the longest word that follows the rule of having each 3 letter subset (in order) also be a word is "anomaly" with 6 letters. This word can be broken down into "ano", "nom", "oma", "mal", "aly", all of which are also words found in the Webster's dictionary. Other long words that follow this rule include "operate" and "manage".
Find the longest word such that each 3 letter subset (in order)is also a word:
e.g. CARED => CAR,ARE,RED is a 5 letter example

Words must be found in Websters. This will run a full day to insure everyone can find a large word.

Physics news on Phys.org
after scanning though some medical things lying near my computer i looked at SODIUM and saw sod yada yada yada

SOd-diu-ium all found in the websters dictionary...online

wait wait wai...titanium

tit (yes it is in there) tan ium

i think it was websters dictionary

Last edited:
monotone

Mon
Ono (yoko? - name)
not
oto (medical prefix? ie, otolaryngology)
ton
one

Just a shot in the dark!

alee,ashen,ashy,band,bare,bark,barm,bate,boar,boat,bowl,brag,bran,brand,brawl,bray,cant,cape,caper,care,cart,code,cone,cope,coper,cowl,dado,dawn,done,eaten,fare,farm,farm,fate,feel,fend,fire,fore,frown,gage,gape,gash,gasp,gate,hash,hasp,hate,here,hope,howl,kink,lawn,lope,mage,manage,many,mare,mark,mart,mate,mope,mown,nape,node,open,opera,operate,pale,pall,pant,paper,pare,park,part,pawn,pear,peat,peat,pink,pope,prod,prow,prowl,rage,rant,rape,rapt,rate,reft,rode,sage,sago,sate,sawn,sear,seat,shew,sink,skid,skin,skit,sold,sown,spall,span,spar,spare,spark,spat,spate,spawn,tape,taper,tare,tart,tear,teat,tend,them,then,there,tone,tore,town,wage,wand,want,ware,warm,wart,wash,washy,wasp,wend,whop,wink,year,your

A list of some words that follow that rule...

Some of the longest :

OPERATE -> OPE -> to open (poet.); PER -> meter PER second;
ERA ->...;RAT->...;ATE->...;

MANAGE -> MAN->...;ANA -> anecdote or literary gossip about a preson;NAG -> to irritate...;AGE -> ...

I used a dictionary of aprox. 60000 words...not 500000...but I think it's good enough...it has words from many domains (economy,mechanics...)

Last edited:
anomaly wins with 6!

1. What is the longest word that satisfies the given criteria?

The longest word that satisfies the given criteria is "strengths". It contains 9 letters and each 3-letter subset (in order) forms a valid word.

2. How many letters does the longest word have?

The longest word has 9 letters.

3. Are there any other words that meet the criteria besides "strengths"?

Yes, there are several other words that meet the criteria, such as "lengths", "drenches", and "wrenches". However, "strengths" is the longest word that meets the criteria.

4. Can the word contain repeated letters?

Yes, the word can contain repeated letters as long as each 3-letter subset (in order) forms a valid word. For example, "drenches" contains the repeated letter "e" but still meets the criteria.

5. Is there a limit to the number of 3-letter subsets that must form valid words?

No, there is no limit to the number of 3-letter subsets that must form valid words. As long as each subset (in order) forms a valid word, the word meets the given criteria.