Photo Contest - P-H-Y-S-I-C-S F-O-R-U-M-S (11/24-11/30)

In summary, the photo contest on the Physics Forums aims to highlight the intersection between physics and photography and encourage members of the community to share their creativity and passion for science through visual media. It is open to all members, regardless of age or background, and eligible photos must relate to physics in some way. A panel of judges will choose the winner based on relevance, technical quality, and creativity, and the winner will receive recognition and a special badge on their profile, as well as having their photo featured on the Physics Forums website and social media pages.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
P-H-Y-S-I-C-S F-O-R-U-M-S

This contest is similar to the Alphabets and Reverse Alphabets contest, except that the letters that will be used in sequence are the letters that make up the name of our forum. Your photo must have, have its main subject something that starts with the letter that make up the name of this forum, and in the sequence that is available. So the first letter after this is posted will be "P". Once that is posted, the next one will be "H", etc... If we reach the end of the entire sequence, we will start again from the beginning first letter.

Please ensure that the subject of your photo has a clear name with the relevant letter. Proper name is not allowed. This means that a photo of a cockatoo named Polly does not qualify for the letter "P".

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
a Pumpkin of a "mushroom" sort
- looks as if combined of two different things but it's quite a single pumpkin inside.
be76ff7a_o.jpg

Attachments

• be76ff7a_o.jpg
    be76ff7a_o.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Headlight.

IMG_4829.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4829.jpg
    IMG_4829.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 422
Likes Matterwave, collinsmark, morrobay and 3 others
Yurts
yurts---1.jpg

Attachments

• yurts---1.jpg
    yurts---1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 410
Likes collinsmark, AlexCaledin, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Sculptures

IMG_0875.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 397
Likes davenn, AlexCaledin, BillTre and 1 other person
Ice, ice, baby...
45165662815_2f94215893_c.jpg

Attachments

• 45165662815_2f94215893_c.jpg
    45165662815_2f94215893_c.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 462
Likes pinball1970, DrClaude, davenn and 4 others
Contrail

Clouds and Contrail on my Run.jpg

Attachments

• Clouds and Contrail on my Run.jpg
    Clouds and Contrail on my Run.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 387
Likes Wrichik Basu, davenn, BillTre and 2 others
Softball

upload_2018-11-27_20-26-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_20-26-21.png
    upload_2018-11-27_20-26-21.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 390
Likes pinball1970, davenn, BillTre and 1 other person
F is for fjord.

IMG_8481.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 397
Likes pinball1970, DrClaude, berkeman and 5 others
Orion Nebula:

d4cb3129-b621-4b8b-b67f-922f3893a24f-original.jpg

Attachments

• d4cb3129-b621-4b8b-b67f-922f3893a24f-original.jpg
    d4cb3129-b621-4b8b-b67f-922f3893a24f-original.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 451
Likes pinball1970, DrClaude, AlexCaledin and 4 others
What? No " " (space) entry in there??

Likes AlexCaledin and BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
Could be a wildcard or a space shot!

DaveC426913 said:
Lordy, it took me WAY too long to decode what you were saying. I'm slow sometimes.

But, it's a simple typo in the thread title by @ZapperZ -- there should be a dash "-" instead of an implied space. Just check the URL to be sure of the spelling... :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu
Andy Resnick said:
Orion Nebula:

View attachment 234762

@Andy Resnick : unfortunately, this is a special and proper name, and does not qualify for the the contest.

We are still currently at "O" as the letter for the next photo.

Zz.

Office tower ( Deutsche Bank, Sydney Branch)

office tower.jpg

Attachments

• office tower.jpg
    office tower.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 413
Likes AlexCaledin
davenn said:
Office tower ( Deutsche Bank, Sydney Branch)

View attachment 234836
A second "O"? Are we spelling PHYSICS FOORUMS? :wideeyed:

kuruman said:
Post 14. Orion was disqualified, being a proper name.

Likes davenn
kuruman said:

no ... read the thread :wink:

DaveC426913 said:

yup ...

DaveC426913 said:
OOOOOOOOps! :oops: I just look at the pictures and don't read the text.

Likes davenn and AlexCaledin
The Ariane V rocket
DSCN8524.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN8524.jpg
    DSCN8524.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 329
Likes LLD1231, fresh_42, DennisN and 2 others
Final day to submit your photo for this contest. We are currently waiting for the letter "U". Anyone has a picture of a unicorn?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Final day to submit your photo for this contest. We are currently waiting for the letter "U". Anyone has a picture of a unicorn?
I have a picture of a unicorn on a unicycle playing the ukulele, but I have already participated in the contest :smile:

Likes LLD1231 and DennisN
DrClaude said:
I have a picture of a unicorn on a unicycle playing the ukulele, but I have already participated in the contest :smile:

Unbelievable! ?:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Anyone has a picture of a unicorn?
That'd be a tricky one, considering the contest rules:

The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium,
...any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed.

:-p

Just to keep things moving
U is for Umbrella
umb_small.jpg

Attachments

• umb_small.jpg
    umb_small.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 275
Likes BillTre

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest on the Physics Forums?

The purpose of the photo contest is to showcase the intersection between physics and photography, and to encourage members of the Physics Forums community to share their creativity and passion for science through visual media.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to all members of the Physics Forums community, including scientists, students, and enthusiasts. We welcome contributions from individuals of all ages and backgrounds who have an interest in physics and photography.

3. What kind of photos are eligible for the contest?

Photos submitted to the contest must relate to physics in some way, whether it be through subject matter, composition, or concept. This can include photos of scientific equipment, experiments, natural phenomena, or abstract representations of physical concepts. However, we ask that photos do not contain any inappropriate or offensive content.

4. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges from the Physics Forums community. They will evaluate each photo based on its relevance to physics, technical quality, and overall creativity. The winner will be announced at the end of the contest period.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the photo contest?

The winner of the photo contest will receive recognition and praise from the Physics Forums community, as well as a special badge on their profile. Additionally, their winning photo will be featured on the Physics Forums website and social media pages. This is a great opportunity to showcase your photography skills and passion for physics to a wider audience.