Mathematical Truths: Discovered or Invented?

In summary, the question of whether mathematical truths are discovered or invented is a longstanding one. Some argue that they are discovered, as they exist independently of human perception. Others believe that they are invented, as humans use mathematics to describe and understand the world around them. The debate is further complicated by the fact that mathematics itself is a language that combines elements of both discovery and invention. Ultimately, the answer may lie somewhere in between, with human ingenuity and creativity playing a role in both discovering and inventing mathematical truths.
_N3WTON_
Ok, so I don't doubt that this discussion has been had on these forums hundreds of times, but I want to take part in it rather than just read old threads, so here is the (admittedly trite) question: do you think that mathematical truths are discovered or are they merely invented?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If they're truths, then they must have always existed, so the former would hold true (in my opinion).

It's like... Ohm's law and all others have always been true, but someone had to realize that and put them to use.

Not sure how to answer that. Mathematical truths can be axioms or lemmas or theorems, you name it. The axioms are agreed upon to be true without proof. Anything else needs to be proved. I would say that the truths are invented, but at the same time they also exist if they are true, however, none can be certain of a truth's existence, unless there is a problem posed and proved, hence inventors are required.

Danger said:
If they're truths, then they must have always existed, so the former would hold true (in my opinion).

It's like... Ohm's law and all others have always been true, but someone had to realize that and put them to use.
I tend to agree with you...but just to play devil's advocate could someone not use a different way (besides mathematics) to describe Ohm's law? In a sense isn't mathematics just a set of invented tool's used to solve a certain problem? Could some civilization in another galaxy have reached the same conclusion (Ohm's law) using a different set of invented tools?

_N3WTON_ said:
could someone not use a different way (besides mathematics) to describe Ohm's law?...
...Could some civilization in another galaxy have reached the same conclusion (Ohm's law) using a different set of invented tools?
Perplexing viewpoint. I would argue against you only in that mathematics itself (at least the verified parts thereof) consists of truths that also had to be discovered and articulated. It's like asking if water existed before the English called it "water" or the Russians called it "vody" (sorry, PopChar is acting up, so I couldn't use the proper Cyrillic letters).

Danger said:
Perplexing viewpoint. I would argue against you only in that mathematics itself (at least the verified parts thereof) consists of truths that also had to be discovered and articulated. It's like asking if water existed before the English called it "water" or the Russians called it "vody" (sorry, PopChar is acting up, so I couldn't use the proper Cyrillic letters).
Good point, also I suppose that even if someone discovered a certain truth using a different set of tools, the truth itself was still always there, giving validity to the belief that such truths are discovered not invented...although after reading a bit about the subject I found out that some guy called Einstein believed that certain truths are invented...

_N3WTON_ said:
some guy called Einstein believed that certain truths are invented...
Well, he was getting on in years... :p

_N3WTON_ said:
I tend to agree with you...but just to play devil's advocate could someone not use a different way (besides mathematics) to describe Ohm's law? In a sense isn't mathematics just a set of invented tool's used to solve a certain problem? Could some civilization in another galaxy have reached the same conclusion (Ohm's law) using a different set of invented tools?
Sure, but If a different method could also work, that doesn't say anything at all about Ohm's law. Ohm's law would still be true.

a video of Stephen Wolfram discussing this topic for anyone who may be interested...

Invented

zoki85 said:
Invented
Why do you feel that way? I'm curious to here your POV because I tend to believe they are discovered

An entertaining and freighted on-point novel is A Certain Ambiguity: A Mathematical Novel by Gaurav Suri and Hartosh Singh Bal (2010 Princeton).

Were Sirinivasa Ramanujan's mathematics, not even imagined until his notes were understood, invented or discovered? Ramanujan invented his maths from whole cloth.

_N3WTON_ said:
Why do you feel that way? I'm curious to here your POV because I tend to believe they are discovered
Becouse I believe human race has unlimited inventive potential.

Mathematics is a language, both invented and discovered as well as naturally emerging like more qualitative languages are,

Sometimes as a way to represent things observed in the universe, sometimes just to extend the abstract language system itself.

Likes nuuskur
Somewhere on several occasions I've heard of math described as the "universal language". Assuming the laws of physics are constant throughout the universe, constants such as pi and c as well as theorems like pythagoras' (a2+b2=c2) are universal and could be used as a "Rosetta stone" to translate the language.

No one is responsible for round objects rolling or light traveling at the speed it does, we simply invent ways to describe and utilize these facts.

Likes billy_joule
jerromyjon said:
Somewhere on several occasions I've heard of math described as the "universal language". Assuming the laws of physics are constant throughout the universe, constants such as pi and c as well as theorems like pythagoras'

I've always wondered how valid that was. Maybe aliens, evolving a different brain structure, would come up with a different logic system that doesn't utilize distance or time (and thus, no pi or c emerge in their system) and our attempts to communicate through the physical constants discovered in our set of axioms would be found vulgar and offensive and Earth would be destroyed.

Likes jerromyjon
Pythagorean said:
Our attempts to communicate through the physical constants discovered in our set of axioms would be found vulgar and offensive and Earth would be destroyed.
Perhaps their existence might be in a pure energy state where our technology imprisons and/or destroys their lifeforms. Our language of mathematics would be terrorism!

I mean, why not? We're already basically terrorists to game in the wild while our cows and corn live a very Orwellian life.

_N3WTON_ said:
While the Pythagorean theorem is a discovered "mathematical truth," the right triangle it applies to is a pure human invention. The significance of a right angle only exists in the human mind. Humans invented and developed an ideal right angle, not discovered anywhere in nature, on which to perform calculations. Saying mathematical truths are discovered is like saying chess truths are discovered. Both statements ignore the fact you're making discoveries about a human mental invention and falsely imply you're making discoveries about nature.

Right angles do occur in nature... plants tend to grow perpendicular to an open, level, flat plain. Suppose a primitive but intelligent being devises a plan to use a rope to reach the top of a tree of discernible height from an advantageous distance from the base of the tree... the length of rope required is easily obtained from these tools we developed to simplify tasks.

Pythagorean said:
our cows and corn live a very Orwellian life.
Until eaten...
Zoob, would you then say that the Fibonacci spiral of a nautilus shell or fiddlehead fern isn't a natural occurrence?

jerromyjon said:
Right angles do occur in nature... plants tend to grow perpendicular to an open, level, flat plain. .
The right angle of geometry has a specific definition that was arrived at in the human mind after defining prior ideal concepts like points and lines and angles. Determining the height of a tree, or using a plumb bob in erecting a house wall, means assuming an ideal horizontal plane we can't actually see. Geometric ideals are worked out in the mind, and then approximately superimposed on irregular nature.

Danger said:
Until eaten...
Zoob, would you then say that the Fibonacci spiral of a nautilus shell or fiddlehead fern isn't a natural occurrence?
Nautilus shells, fiddlehead ferns, and many other aesthetically pleasing spirals are not generally Fibonacci spirals. This is an unfortunate side effect of the human brain's ability to match superficially similar patterns that are not truly identical. See http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/pseudo/fibonacc.htm for a more in-depth discussion of this phenomenon. As zooby noted, the brain's ability to form a type of "equivalence class" of similar patterns may be the motivation for many abstractions such as right angles, but there is not necessarily any individual physical analogue.

Danger said:
The question to ask is whether Fibonacci learned the sequence from nature or simply invented it by following a simple kind of logic. The formulas for many kinds of spirals were arrived at purely by mathematical experimentation, and later it was discovered similar spirals occur in nature. The fact that what was originally a mere invention happened to describe some natural pattern is interesting, but doesn't change its being an invention.

slider142 said:
Nautilus shells, fiddlehead ferns, and many other aesthetically pleasing spirals are not generally Fibonacci spirals. This is an unfortunate side effect of the human brain's ability to match superficially similar patterns that are not truly identical. See http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/pseudo/fibonacc.htm for a more in-depth discussion of this phenomenon. As zooby noted, the brain's ability to form a type of "equivalence class" of similar patterns may be the motivation for many abstractions such as right angles, but there is not necessarily any individual physical analogue.
Thanks for that link. I've always thought that spiral and the "Golden Mean" were overrated.

zoobyshoe said:
Saying mathematical truths are discovered is like saying chess truths are discovered. Both statements ignore the fact you're making discoveries about a human mental invention and falsely imply you're making discoveries about nature.
Does that mean the the universe didn't know how to make objects move properly until Galileo discovered f=ma? Does that mean if I didn't have any math (subtraction) to describe my eating of grapes that eating grapes would make more grapes appear in front of me?

I totally disagree with you. As people have said, math is a lanugage used to describe things that are happening around you. Those things are happening whether you have the language needed to describe them or not.

Likes jerromyjon and Danger
Yeah, Russ, that's what I was trying to convey. Pi would still exist as an indisputable ratio even if nobody had noticed it.
I do appreciate the link, Slider, but that's one example out of many possible ones.

zoki85 said:
Becouse I believe human race has unlimited inventive potential.

I highly doubt mankind will ever invent a way to travel through space faster than 300,000 km/s...

jerromyjon said:
I highly doubt mankind will ever invent a way to travel through space faster than 300,000 km/s...
I'm not sure about that. Have you heard about Turbo's "black-bean hummus"? Apparently, if you eat it you need a dilithium crystal suppository to avoid exploding.

Likes collinsmark
russ_watters said:
Does that mean the the universe didn't know how to make objects move properly until Galileo(?)discovered f=ma?
F=ma is a physics concept, arrived at by experiment and observation. It's not a math concept. We didn't learn simple multiplication from accelerating masses. Multiplication was invented to make repeated addition easy and fast.
Does that mean if I didn't have any math (subtraction) to describe my eating of grapes that eating grapes would make more grapes appear in front of me?
Did grapes teach us how to subtract? We invented counting and arithmetic to keep track of our grapes. Show me where counting exists in nature, where we learned it from nature. We invented the counting numbers and we impose them on our grapes in our mind. That's not about nature, it's about not getting ripped off at the marketplace in ancient Sumeria.
I totally disagree with you. As people have said, math is a lanugage used to describe things that are happening around you. Those things are happening whether you have the language needed to describe them or not.
Math isn't a language. The sentence, "The sum of the squares of the two sides is equal to the square of the hypotenuse," is a sentence in English concerning certain quantities. It's not a language separate from English. Russians do math in Russian, and Frenchmen do it in French. Pythagorean maintains math is a language but his reasoning about that is actually quite abstruse and has nothing to do with math as a description of the world.

Physics is our attempt to describe what's "happening around you," and it is relegated to figuring out ways to quantify things that aren't obviously quantified, and then to keep track of those quantities. Math is a tool here, not the description. The description involves concepts: mass, resistance, intensity, charge, pressure, temperature, wavelength, etc. which we believe can be quantified and treated mathematically.

Mathematics, as such, is all too often about nothing but numbers. Take the preoccupation of mathematicians with prime numbers, for example, or Fermat's Last Theorem. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I believe math and physics are both concepts described and utilized in languages in the same manner that computers function on programming languages, whether you simplify the language into purely numbers and symbols or not, numbers are still represented by, and vary with, the language.

F=ma isn't math? Move along people... nothing to multiply here...

russ_watters said:
Does that mean the the universe didn't know how to make objects move properly until Galileo discovered f=ma?
This is an attribution of intent to a deterministic process. The description of motion by classical mechanics is an approximation only, especially as it uses the system of real numbers (no physical device can measure a real number quantity, and there are other problems that are mentioned below). It's just one of the most popular systems in which calculus has a reasonably simple logical structure (non-standard analysis will present the same results using a different number system, so the popularity of the real number system is just an historical artifact).
russ_watters said:
Does that mean if I didn't have any math (subtraction) to describe my eating of grapes that eating grapes would make more grapes appear in front of me?
Subtraction is just one of many very abstract descriptions of that particular process. You can also describe the process of eating without any such great abstractions as separation of cardinal quantity from quality, as well as invoking the existence of an inverse operation between abstract cardinal quantities, as many authors and storytellers have no problem doing.
jerromyjon said:
F=ma isn't math? Move along people... nothing to multiply here...
No, it is not. A mathematical proposition is a purely logical one: it can be proven true or false solely on the basis of assumptions and certain laws of thought . That is, a mathematical textbook or academic council will never request a student to necessarily perform an experiment in order to prove a theorem. Newton's assumption that F=ma could be made into a mathematical theorem if we make certain other assumptions (ie., the Newton-Laplace Determinacy Principle and certain assumptions about the manifold that best models physical processes). However, that is not the spirit of the equation: it is meant to be supported by its application to physical processes, not by mere internal self-consistency. Any internally consistent model can be made into a mathematical theory, including many that have no analogues in any physical process.
That is, if a single physical process disagreed with F=ma in any way that could not be removed by reasonable further assumptions, F=ma would be replaced by another model. This can never happen for a mathematical statement: a mathematical statement's proof depends only on logical argument and is thus always true when those assumptions are true. No interaction with physical verification is ever necessary (ie., see various abstruse theorems such as Banach-Tarski ).
The latter (Banach-Tarski) implies that the system of real numbers together with unmeasurable subsets do not provide a model that is indiscernible from physical space (unless, of course, you believe Banach-Tarski actually does hold for some physical object). So already there is a clear result (and there are many more) that separates pure mathematics from the physical universe that it models.
On the other hand, there may be those that will staunchly believe that every mathematical theorem must have some physical application somewhere, and we just haven't encountered those processes yet. Without physical support, this is a rather nebulous belief.

PS. I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative in tone. I'm just presenting a personal opinion. :)

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and zoobyshoe
zoobyshoe said:
F=ma is a physics concept, arrived at by experiment and observation. It's not a math concept. We didn't learn simple multiplication from accelerating masses. Multiplication was invented to make repeated addition easy and fast.

Did grapes teach us how to subtract? We invented counting and arithmetic to keep track of our grapes. Show me where counting exists in nature, where we learned it from nature. We invented the counting numbers and we impose them on our grapes in our mind. That's not about nature, it's about not getting ripped off at the marketplace in ancient Sumeria.

Math isn't a language. The sentence, "The sum of the squares of the two sides is equal to the square of the hypotenuse," is a sentence in English concerning certain quantities. It's not a language separate from English. Russians do math in Russian, and Frenchmen do it in French. Pythagorean maintains math is a language but his reasoning about that is actually quite abstruse and has nothing to do with math as a description of the world.

Physics is our attempt to describe what's "happening around you," and it is relegated to figuring out ways to quantify things that aren't obviously quantified, and then to keep track of those quantities. Math is a tool here, not the description. The description involves concepts: mass, resistance, intensity, charge, pressure, temperature, wavelength, etc. which we believe can be quantified and treated mathematically.

Mathematics, as such, is all too often about nothing but numbers. Take the preoccupation of mathematicians with prime numbers, for example, or Fermat's Last Theorem. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

The fact that you can speak math in Russian and German doesn't disqualify it from being a language. Pig Latin is another example of a language within a language. We're talking about different kinds of language here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_mathematics