Mathematical help with structural analysis.

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over the transition between the second and third equal signs in an equation from structural analysis. The equation equates u_{j,l}da_l to u_{j,1}da_1+u_{j,2}da_2+u_{j,3}da_3 and the individual is questioning the assumption that l=j when equating da_j\delta_{lj} = da_l. They ask for help and suggest ignoring the third line and starting with the second line. The second line is then used to carry out the algebra, with an example given for the first term. The person also mentions a simpler derivation and credits MIT OCW for the information.
ENgez
In the attached equation from structural analysis, I don't understand the transition between the second and third equal signs. I think that [itex] u_{j,l}da_l = u_{j,1}da_1+u_{j,2}da_2+u_{j,3}da_3 [/itex], so doesn't equating [itex]da_j\delta_{lj} = da_l [/itex] assume that [itex] l=j [/itex]. can anyone help me see why this assumption is justified?

Attachments

• attachment.PNG
    attachment.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 436
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are they just changing variables?
Maybe just ignore the third line. Start with the second line and carry through the algebra... For example, consider the first term in the second line:

First term in second line: [itex]u_{j,l}da_l da_i\delta_{ij}=u_{i,l}da_l da_j[/itex]

Just replace [itex]i[/itex] with [itex]j[/itex] and replace [itex]l[/itex] with [itex]i[/itex] and presto! But that might be cheating... what text is that from?

More simple derivation here, btw: http://utsv.net/solid-mechanics/2-strain/strain-tensors -- middle of page

thanks, this is from mit ocw. i had to resort to it because my lecturer is truly terrible at conveying this stuff...

Related to Mathematical help with structural analysis.

1. What is structural analysis?

Structural analysis is a branch of mathematics that involves using equations and mathematical models to study and understand the behavior of structures, such as buildings, bridges, or mechanical systems. It is used to predict how a structure will behave under different conditions and to ensure its safety and stability.

2. Why is structural analysis important?

Structural analysis is important because it allows engineers and architects to design and construct safe and efficient structures. By using mathematical principles, they can identify potential weaknesses or failures in a structure and make necessary modifications to ensure its stability.

3. What are the main methods used in structural analysis?

The main methods used in structural analysis include the finite element method, the finite difference method, and the method of joints. These methods involve breaking down a structure into smaller, more manageable elements and analyzing their behavior using mathematical equations.

4. What are some common applications of structural analysis?

Structural analysis is used in a variety of fields, including civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is used to design and analyze buildings, bridges, aircraft, and other structures to ensure their safety and efficiency.

5. Are there any software programs available for structural analysis?

Yes, there are many software programs available for structural analysis, such as SAP2000, ANSYS, and ABAQUS. These programs use mathematical algorithms and equations to simulate and analyze the behavior of structures, making the process more efficient and accurate.