Math Challenge - March 2020

In summary, the conversation includes 10 math problems and their corresponding solutions, ranging from proving inequalities and evaluating integrals to showing properties of Lie algebras and solving equations in modular arithmetic. The participants in the conversation are identified by their usernames and the type of problem they solved. Some of the key concepts discussed include continuity, linear mappings, eigenvalues, submultiplicative matrix norms, and coprime numbers. The conversation also includes a discussion about proof techniques and the importance of being accurate.
fresh_42 said:
4. Let ##k## be a field that is not algebraically closed. Let ##n\geq 1##. Show that there exists a polynomial ##p\in k[x_1,\ldots,x_n]## that vanishes only at the origin ##(0,\ldots,0)\in k^n##. (IR)

Since ##k## is not algebraically closed, we can find a polynomial ##p\in k[x]## with no zeroes.

Now we construct a new polynomial ##p_h(x,y)## by homogenizing: ##p_h(x,y)=y^dp(\frac{x}{y})##, where ##d## is the degree of ##p(x)##. One can show that this is a well-defined polynomial, and in addition it vanishes only at the origin: suppose ##p_h(x_0,y_0)=0##. Clearly this implies that ##y=0##: we have ##p_h(x_0,y_0)=y_0^dp(\frac{x_0}{y_0})=0\Rightarrow y_0=0\lor p(\frac{x_0}{y_0})=0##. Since ##p## has no zeroes, it then must be true that ##y_0=0##. But ##p_h(x_0,0)=cx_0^d## (the leading term) which only vanishes when ##x_0=0##. Hence we have shown that ##x_0=y_0=0## and we are done.

Now we use ##p_h## to inductively prove the existence of polynomials in arbitrarily many variables which vanish only at 0. Suppose ##Q(x_1,\ldots,x_n)## vanishes only at 0. Then ##Q(x_1,\ldots,p_h(x_n,x_{n+1}))## is a polynomial in n+1 variables that vanishes only at 0, because ##Q(x_1,\ldots,p_h(x_n,x_{n+1}))=0\iff x_1=\ldots=p_h(x_n,x_{n+1})=0##. But ##p_h(x_n,x_{n+1})=0\iff x_n=x_{n+1}=0##.

We have shown that, if there exists a polynomial in n variables that vanishes only at 0, there also exists a polynomial in n+1 variables that vanishes only at 0. Taking the monomial ##x## for ##n=1## as the base case, this proves that there exist polynomials in any number of variables that vanish only at 0. ##\square##

Likes fresh_42 and Infrared
Physics news on Phys.org
@suremarc Looks perfectly correct to me!

I'll just remark that the converse is basically obvious: If ##n>1## and ##p\in k[x_1,\ldots,x_n]## vanishes only at a single point, then ##k## must not be algebraically closed. So this gives an equivalent condition for a field (not) being algebraically closed.

Likes suremarc
Hiero said:
For problem 5,
##\text{Area}=(\frac{m}{a_1b_2-a_2b_1})^2\sqrt{(A_1^2+B_1^2)(A_2^2+B_2^2)-(A_1A_2+B_1B_2)^2}##
where ##A_1=a_1+a_2## and ##A_2=a_2-a_1## and likewise for B in terms of b
Sorry I didn’t simplify all the way or explain because it was tedious and I think I might’ve made an error.

You can see the correct answer in the spoiler of post #65 by Not anonymous. In any case I don't see how you reached your answer.

Just to point out another way to do 65 since it's already been solved: Let ##P## be the region we want the area of. The transformation ##(x,y)\mapsto (u,v)=(a_1x+b_1y+c_1,a_2x+b_2y+c_2)## is diffeomorphism from ##P## to the region bounded to the square ##|u|+|v|= m##. The Jacobian determinant ##a_1b_2-a_2b_1##. The area of the square ##|u|+|v|\leq m## is ##2m^2##, so by the change of variables formula,

##2m^2=\int_{|u|+|v|\leq m} du dv=\int_P |a_1b_2-a_2b_1| dx dy##

Dividing by the Jacobian gives the desired area of ##P##. This is really the same as @Not anonymous's answer since computing the Jacobian is equivalent to taking a cross product, but maybe it's helpful to see anyway and shows the idea of the change of variables formula: applying a linear map to a region scales the area/volume by the determinant (and to the first order, applying a function is the same as multiplying by its Jacobian matrix, up to translations).

• Informative
Likes Not anonymous and QuantumQuest
Infrared said:
@archaic You have an algebra mistakes. You should have ##3x_1^2=\frac{8q^2-p^2}{q^2}##. The approach is definitely fine though.
Sir, I think it was my solution :biggrin:. It was a minor typo I think. Is everything all right except that typo?

I still don't think it's right. It looks like to me that you're claiming that since ##3## divides ##8q^2-p^2##, it must divide both ##8q^2## and ##p^2.## I don't see why this should be true without further argument. For example, ##3## divides ##1+5## but not ##1## or ##5##.

Also, in the future, please write your solutions in your post- I'd rather not have to follow links.

Generalisation:
Let's look at ##f(x) = x^3 - px##, where ##p## is prime.

We'll look for ##f(x) = f(y)##, where ##x = \frac a b, \ y = \frac c d## are in the lowest form.
$$f(\frac a b) = f(\frac c d) \ \Rightarrow \ \frac{a(a^2 - pb^2)}{b^3} = \frac{c(c^2 - pd^2)}{d^3}$$

Note that ##\frac{a(a^2 - pb^2)}{b^3}## is also in its lowest form, so we have ##b = d##. And:
$$a(a^2 - pb^2) = c(c^2 - pb^2) \ \Rightarrow \ a^2 + ac + c^2 = pb^2 \ \Rightarrow \ (2a+c)^2 = 4pb^2 - 3c^2$$
So, we need solutions to:
$$4pb^2 - n^2 = 3c^2$$
Where ##n = 2a + c##.

We have solutions for ##p = 3##. Namely, ##x = -2, y = 1## and ##x = -1, y = 2##.

Otherwise, note that neither of ##b, n## can be divisible by ##3## without ##b, c## having a common factor of ##3##. Hence ##b^2 = n^2 = 1 \ (mod \ 3)## and we have:
$$p = 1 \ (mod \ 3)$$
For example, we have no solutions for ##p = 2, 5##, but we have a triple solution for ##p = 7##:
$$x= -3, y = 1, z = 2\ \ \text{with} \ f(x) = f(y) = f(z) = -6$$

Last edited:
Likes Adesh