Math Blogging: Interesting Problems & Representation Theory

In summary, there are multiple options for creating a math blog, including platforms like WordPress and Blogger that offer free hosting and support for LaTeX. These platforms do not typically saturate their sites with advertisements, making them a good choice for those looking to share interesting mathematical problems, proofs, and notes. Other options, such as using QuickLaTeX, may also be available for embedding mathematical content into a blog post. Ultimately, the choice will depend on personal preferences and goals for the blog.
Chris11
Hey. So I have decided that I want to try to produce a math blog. The blog would essencially just consist of interesting problems and proofs, as well as expository notes on stuff that I'm reading (the symmetric group and it's reprepresentation theory). However, I have found no useful information online as to how to go about producing such a blog. I don't know of any websites that host such things that are: 1. Free ; 2. Not completely saturated with advertisments; 3. LaTeX suppporting. ANy advice, or links to such advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Mathematical Bloging

Chris11 said:
Hey. So I have decided that I want to try to produce a math blog. The blog would essencially just consist of interesting problems and proofs, as well as expository notes on stuff that I'm reading (the symmetric group and it's reprepresentation theory). However, I have found no useful information online as to how to go about producing such a blog. I don't know of any websites that host such things that are: 1. Free ; 2. Not completely saturated with advertisments; 3. LaTeX suppporting. ANy advice, or links to such advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-chris

Hi Chris,

I think that Wordpress would be your best bet; it's free (sign up for an account here), and they have LaTeX support (although their LaTeX tags are a little odd). And from what I know, wordpress really isn't saturated with ads.

I hope this helps!

Chris L T521 said:
Hi Chris,

I think that Wordpress would be your best bet; it's free (sign up for an account here), and they have LaTeX support (although their LaTeX tags are a little odd). And from what I know, wordpress really isn't saturated with ads.

I hope this helps!

Since MathJax works on Blogger, Blogger is also a viable platform (as is any other that allows you to embed some javascript in the page template - or whatever they choose to call the thing). I have a blog post on this here, not wonderful but shows how its done, you can also find the same information on MathJax site.

My experience with WordPress is that the LaTeX can be tempremental.

CB

You can also use QuickLaTeX here. If you can paste images into your blog post, you can post $\LaTeX$. Here's an example using QuickLaTeX:

View attachment 138

Attachments

• ql_608cd16831a244ad954b52995cdf16e7_l3.png
    ql_608cd16831a244ad954b52995cdf16e7_l3.png
    647 bytes · Views: 68
  • ql_4db18a4d1dbd1321dfa4a9893156cb79_l3.png
    ql_4db18a4d1dbd1321dfa4a9893156cb79_l3.png
    730 bytes · Views: 68

I would go with Blogger because as far as I know it doesn't force you to have any ads and it allows Mathjax, which is very high quality Latex and lastly because it's free. If you want to go with hosting your blog on a domain then maybe Wordpress would be better. It all depends on what you want to do.

Related to Math Blogging: Interesting Problems & Representation Theory

1. What is math blogging?

Math blogging is the practice of creating online content focused on mathematical topics. This can include sharing interesting problems, discussing mathematical concepts, or exploring new areas of research.

2. What are some benefits of math blogging?

Math blogging can be a great way to improve one's own understanding of math by explaining concepts to others. It also allows for collaboration and feedback from other mathematicians and can serve as a platform for sharing new ideas and research.

3. What is representation theory?

Representation theory is a branch of mathematics that studies abstract algebraic structures by representing them as linear transformations of vector spaces. It has applications in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, algebraic geometry, and number theory.

4. What types of math problems are commonly shared on math blogs?

Math bloggers often share problems that are interesting, challenging, and have elegant solutions. These can range from classic problems in number theory and geometry to more recent research questions in various fields of mathematics.

5. How can I start my own math blog?

Starting a math blog can be as simple as creating a free blog on a platform like WordPress or Blogger. It's important to have a clear focus or theme for your blog, and to regularly post quality content. Connecting with other math bloggers and participating in online math communities can also help to grow your audience and improve your blogging skills.