Mastering Vector Direction: How to Solve for Unknown Forces in Your Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the direction of vectors A, B, and C when formulating an equation. The question of whether it is knowable or unknowable is brought up, and the potential consequences of making incorrect assumptions. The general approach of using static equilibrium requirements to solve the problem is also mentioned.
Ry122
members are reminded that their problem statement and diagrams must be clear and understandable by others
How do you know what direction to make vectors A, B and C face when formulating your equation? I guess its unknowable really isn't it?

therefore for the sum of forces in x direction you'd just say C + P + B_x = 0

How about if it is knowable? E.g. if B didn't exist and therefore you'd know C definitely points in the opposite direction to P_x.
If you then modeled your equation the same as above, and just ignoring signs like this, would you still get the correct answer? P + C = 0
9THChMq.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having some trouble reading your diagram. What direction are A and B pointing

cpsinkule said:
I'm having some trouble reading your diagram. What direction are A and B pointing
My point is that it's unknowable

Ry122 said:
My point is that it's unknowable
Yes, it is, given how vaguely worded the OP was.

You mention "your equation", but I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Okay, I'll reword my question. I guess you just need to make an assumption to begin with about which way each vector faces, right? Let's say A and B both point towards the joint, but this turns out to be wrong. How do you know you were wrong?

if your figure is a free body diagram then you need no assumptions. you need to project your known forces onto some axes and use the requirements for static equilibrium ( i assume that is what this problem is) ΣF=0 for each basis direction

just take a guess. if your guess is "wrong" you will get a negative number

Related to Mastering Vector Direction: How to Solve for Unknown Forces in Your Equations

1. What is vector direction?

Vector direction is the direction in which a vector is pointing. It is typically represented by an arrow and is used to indicate the magnitude and direction of a force or motion.

2. Why is mastering vector direction important?

Mastering vector direction is important because it allows us to accurately solve for unknown forces in equations. Understanding vector direction is essential in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. How do you determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is determined by the direction in which the arrow is pointing. In mathematical notation, the direction of a vector is represented by a unit vector, which is a vector with a magnitude of 1 that points in the same direction as the original vector.

4. What are some common techniques for solving unknown forces using vector direction?

One common technique for solving unknown forces using vector direction is using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to break down a vector into its horizontal and vertical components. Another technique is using vector addition and subtraction to combine known forces and find the resultant force.

5. Are there any tools or software programs that can assist with mastering vector direction?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools that can assist with mastering vector direction, such as Wolfram Alpha, Geogebra, and Desmos. These tools allow for easy visualization and manipulation of vectors, making it easier to understand and solve for unknown forces.