Force equivalency in a physical simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a rigid tetrahedron with anchored vertices when forces are applied at different points. It is hypothesized that the system will behave the same regardless of the point of force application due to the principles of force vectors and torque. However, it is noted that in an extreme case, the behavior may differ. The discrepancy in the simulation may be due to an error in the code.
remettub
image.jpg

1. Homework Statement

Question 1: given a rigid tetrahedron, with vertices A, B, C and D anchored to their initial locations with an arbitrary but uniform spring constant, will Cases 1, 2, and 3 below result in the same behavior of the system?

- Case 1: a force of constant magnitude (red vector) applied to point A, and whose orientation relative to the tetrahedron is constant (if the tetrahedron moves, the force vector moves with it, as if there is a theoretical rocket engine fixed to the tetrahedron at point A).

- Case 2: the individual components of the force vector from Case 1, in the direction of points B, C, and D respectively (brown vectors), applied to point A in the same manner as before.

- Case 3: the same components from Case 2, but now applied respectively to points B, C, and D (green vectors) in the same manner as before.

If "yes" to question 1:

Question 2: if the rigid object is also anchored with same spring constant at additional points (the object is no longer necessarily a tetrahedron), will all cases still result in the same behavior? The additional points have no rocket-like forces applied to them.

Question 3: if the object is not perfectly rigid, will all cases still result in a similar behavior?

Homework Equations

[/B]
A set of force vectors applied to a given point will have the same effect as a single force vector which is the sum of the vectors in the set applied to the same point.

A force has the same effect on a system regardless of of where it is positioned along its line of action.

These are principles that apply to static systems, however my assumption is that since the forces always preserve their orientation relative to the tetrahedron, they will be equivalent at any given instant in time and therefore the static principles will apply.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm attempting to use this scenario to verify the accuracy of a physical simulation. My assumption is that they should all result in the same behavior, and (since the simulation has a small damping factor) the tetrahedron should stabilize to the same location in all cases. However when I run Case 3, the tetrahedron ends up in a very different location, so I'm posting this question here to check my assumptions.

Please let me know if you believe this post is more appropriate on a different forum. It is not homework, but I believe it may fall under the category of "homework-like."

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 658
Physics news on Phys.org
If I have understood correctly. Case 1 and 2 are equivalent because a vector is equal to the vector sum of its components.

I would not expect case 3 to behave the same for the simple reason that if you move the point of application of a force you typically end up applying a different net torque. For example in case 1 the net torque about point A is zero. In case 3 it might not be zero as you have forces acting at B, C and D.

I'm not a mathematician but someone else might be able to give you a proof.

Actually now I look at it again I think I'm wrong because the torque about A is also zero in case 3.

Likes remettub
CWatters said:
Actually now I look at it again I think I'm wrong because the torque about A is also zero in case 3.
Good catch. In general, the behavior of the system will not be the same when the forces are applied at different joints. However, when the components of the force are applied at different joints but colinear with the original components, reactions and movement and rotations will be the same.

Likes remettub
CWatters said:
I guess it depends on the direction of the reaction forces of the springs. Since no numbers are given, then I think an extreme case in which the "rocket" is pointing in some tangent direction to all the edges would cause the maximum amount of torque. It is not clear how the springs are suppose to react. I guess the simulation is setup so that springs can only act in one direction?
The problem statement did not specify if it is a regular tetrahedron, so in an extreme case, I would imagine a situation where it is formed like a spike. Applying the rocket at different locations may be easier to visualize different behaviors, then.

Likes remettub
scottdave said:
It is not clear how the springs are suppose to react. I guess the simulation is setup so that springs can only act in one direction?

The springs provide a reaction force proportional to the distance from the current position and the initial position, and in the direction of the initial position. So they can act in any direction.

I guess the discrepancy I'm seeing must be from an error in my code. Thanks for all your replies!

Related to Force equivalency in a physical simulation

What is force equivalency in a physical simulation?

Force equivalency in a physical simulation is the concept of representing real-world forces in a simulated environment. This allows for accurate and realistic simulations of physical phenomena.

Why is force equivalency important in a physical simulation?

Force equivalency is important because it ensures that the simulated environment accurately reflects the real world. This is crucial for accurate predictions and analysis in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.

How is force equivalency achieved in a physical simulation?

Force equivalency is achieved by using mathematical equations and algorithms to translate real-world forces into the simulated environment. This may involve factoring in variables such as mass, acceleration, and friction.

What challenges are faced when implementing force equivalency in a physical simulation?

One of the main challenges is accurately modeling the complex and dynamic nature of real-world forces. Additionally, there may be limitations in computing power and precision that can affect the accuracy of the simulation.

What are some real-world applications of force equivalency in physical simulations?

Force equivalency is used in a wide range of fields, including aerospace engineering, robotics, and video game development. It is also essential in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and geological events.