How to find the maximum moment of a force about an axis?

In summary, the calculation for the moment of force about the given axis is not hard, but determining how to produce the maximum moment is a bit more difficult.
marsupialofdeath

Homework Statement

Calculating the moment of force F about the axis isn't hard; how do I determine how to produce the maximum moment?
StaticsHW.png

Homework Equations

Maxis = ûaxis ⋅ (r×F)
F = 30N (This doesn't change at all during the problem)

The Attempt at a Solution

I would guess that since the problem axis is parallel to the y-axis, you should minimize that component of the force (β=90°). I'm not totally sure on that point though. As for the other two axes, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
marsupialofdeath said:
I would guess that since the problem axis is parallel to the y-axis, you should minimize that component of the force
That is certainly true, but the diagram does not even suggest F having such a component. It only shows x and z components.
What is the magnitude of rxF in terms of the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them?

haruspex said:
That is certainly true, but the diagram does not even suggest F having such a component. It only shows x and z components.
What is the magnitude of rxF in terms of the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them?
It's kind of hard to see in the diagram, but F is 60° from both the x and y axes.
Fx = F*cos(α) = 30*cos(60°) = 15 N
Fy = F*cos(β) = 30*cos(60°) = 15 N
Fz = F*cos(γ) = 30*cos(45°) ≈ 21.21 N
So, the vector for F should be (15i + 15j + 21.21k) N

And the vector for r is (-0.1i + 0.15k) m
So, r×F is (2.25i + 4.37j - 1.5k) N⋅m... That is the moment of force about the center of the given axis-- dot that with the unit vector j to determine that with the current angles, the moment about the axis is just 4.37 N⋅m. And we're trying to maximize that, so we need to maximize the j component of the r×F vector.

I'm not completely sure what you are asking, but I hope that clears things up a bit.

First, I withdraw my previous remark. On enlarging the diagram I see that it shows F as having a y component.
However, the question asks for the directions that would maximise the moment for the given magnitude. That surely means you should ignore the given angles for this part of the question.

haruspex said:
That surely means you should ignore the given angles for this part of the question.
Yeah, the first part of the question asked for the moment about the axis, which is what those angles were used for. So we need to manipulate the force vector so that instead of the given angles, it's in the x-z plane. So can we set it up so that Fx = 30cos(α) and Fz = 30cos(γ) = 30sin(α)? From there maybe we can do r×F again and derive it and set that equal to zero so we can solve for α.

marsupialofdeath said:
From there maybe we can do r×F again and derive it and set that equal to zero so we can solve for α.
That would work, but it is unnecessarily complicated.
Try to answer the question I asked at the end of post #2.

Related to How to find the maximum moment of a force about an axis?

1. What is the definition of moment of a force about an axis?

The moment of a force about an axis is the measure of the tendency of the force to cause rotation about that axis. It is also known as torque.

2. How is the maximum moment of a force calculated?

The maximum moment of a force about an axis can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum moment of a force?

Finding the maximum moment of a force is important in analyzing the stability and strength of structures. It helps determine the maximum load a structure can withstand before failing.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the maximum moment?

The direction of the force is crucial in determining the maximum moment. A force applied perpendicular to the axis will have a maximum moment, while a force applied parallel to the axis will have no moment.

5. Can the maximum moment of a force change depending on the axis of rotation?

Yes, the maximum moment of a force can change depending on the axis of rotation. This is because the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force will vary, resulting in different moments about different axes.