Statics: 3D Equilibrium Problem r X F or Fd?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach to solving a problem involving finding the force in a prop and the force normal to the hinge axis AB. The two approaches mentioned are using the cross product and taking (F)(d), and it is concluded that the one that works best is the one that the individual finds most comfortable and expedient. This highlights the importance of finding one's own preferred method when approaching problems.
J0sh8830

Homework Statement

The 25-kg rectangular access door is held in the 90° open position by the single prop CD. Determine the force F in the prop and the magnitude of the force normal to the hinge axis AB in each of the small hinges A and B.[/B]
w0361.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF=0
ΣM=0
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually solved this problem entirely already. I used point A as the origin and I solved by first taking the sum of the moments about the y-axis (since A and B have zero moment arms there, and this just left the weight of the door and the force in the prop CD). I then used the same methods for the other axes until all the forces were found.

My question for everyone is: what works better and is more easier in this situation? Using the cross product or taking (F)(d)? I am having a debate with some of my classmates who think the cross product is a better approach. I think (F)(d) works better because all of the distances are already given in the problem and their would be no need to find position vectors and do lengthy cross products(I think that F(d) is much easier, since each cross product has a total of six separate products to compute). Let me know what you all think and how you might have solved it.

Josh[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-29_22-2-21.png
    upload_2016-10-29_22-2-21.png
    50 KB · Views: 1,133
Physics news on Phys.org
My question for everyone is: what works better and is more easier in this situation? Using the cross product or taking (F)(d)?
The cross product will always be right - but the one that works better (in the sense you are more likely to get the marks) is the one you can use most reliably. That will be different for different people.
Bottom line: define "better".

Simon Bridge said:
Bottom line: define "better".

In this particular case, by "better" I mean, which of the two approaches would be the most expedient in finding the solution to this problem? In problems like these, there is usually a number of approaches that can be taken to solve them. Sometimes I have used the cross product when it was probably easier to use force times distance to calculate the moment. Also, I have used force times distance when the cross product would have worked more efficiently. I think what you said makes a lot of sense. That different people will use different approaches, and the one that is most comfortable to them. Thanks!

expedient = convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral? Maybe you mean "easier for you to use"?
... I know you already aid: I think what you said makes a lot of sense. That different people will use different approaches, and the one that is most comfortable to them. Thanks!" ... and thank you.
What I am illustrating here is how carefully asking the question leads you to the answer... this is most of what the scientific method is about.
As soon as you realize you want to know the method you, personally, find easiest, you realize that nobody else can answer that question :)

Related to Statics: 3D Equilibrium Problem r X F or Fd?

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of a force in a 3D equilibrium problem?

In a 3D equilibrium problem, the formula for calculating the moment of a force is r X F, where r represents the position vector from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force, and F represents the magnitude and direction of the force.

2. How is the direction of the moment of a force determined in a 3D equilibrium problem?

The direction of the moment of a force in a 3D equilibrium problem is determined by the right-hand rule. This means that if the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the force, your thumb will point in the direction of the moment.

3. How is the equilibrium of a 3D system determined?

To determine the equilibrium of a 3D system, the vector sum of all forces acting on the system must equal zero, and the vector sum of all moments acting on the system must also equal zero. This means that the system is not moving and is in a state of balance.

4. Can the moment of a force change in a 3D equilibrium problem?

Yes, the moment of a force can change in a 3D equilibrium problem. This can happen if the force is moved to a different location, if the direction of the force changes, or if the point of rotation is changed.

5. How can a 3D equilibrium problem be solved?

A 3D equilibrium problem can be solved by setting up and solving equations based on the principles of equilibrium. This includes setting the sum of all forces and moments to zero and using the appropriate formulas to calculate unknown values. It is also helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize the problem and make it easier to understand and solve.