Master Converting Metric Units in Scientific Notation: Learn the Simple Method!

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary: Here are some hints. For example, if you want to convert cm to inches, just multiply by 2.54. So, if you want to convert cm to inches, you would do: (cm)2 = (in)2.54.
Imparcticle
Class started as usual on Tuesday, as my conceptual physics teacher started us on notes on scientific notation. I'm usually good with numbers and having had experience in scientific notation, it was no big deal--at first. Later into our notes, my teacher started doing conversions using sci.not. I still understood it, but not the class. I may have been the only one who got it, and if not one of few in that particular class. Unfortunately, my teacher came back the following day with a whole new method that was supposed to be "simple". It has confused me entirely. So, we have a quiz tomorrow and I don't understand the subject...not a good mix.

Okay, initially he did the problems for conversion by using conversion factors. For example, he would convert mm to nm and then convert to scinot. I totally understood that. BUT, he moved on to conversions involving things like: 10cm2= km2. I figured out how you would do this kind of problem; just do the conversion as though there were no ^2s and after the conversion multiply the exponent by ^2. But apparently I was mistaken because my teacher started working out the problem in a way which I did not understand and eventually stopped and said he would go and figure out a simpler way.

The simpler way is indeed simple: you just use a chart with labled conversion units. So if you are converting m to dm, you count the place values from m to dm and use that for some sort of decimal operation. I don't quite get it.

Anyway, can someone please, please help me with converting metric units in scinot?

here are some conversion problems from my hmwk for example:

10.0 cm2= ___________m2

1.45 x 10[su]9[/sup] = ___________ Gm (I really need help with this one)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some hints.
Since 1 cm=10-2 m,
5 cm3= 5 (10-2 m)3 = 5 (10-2)3 m3 = 5 (10-6) m3.

10 cm2____________m2

1cm=10-2m
1.00 * 10-4

is that right?

if so, can you help me with the second problem I posted?

thanks

If I am not mistaken, 1 cm2 = 10-4m2

So, 10 cm2 = 10 x 10-4m2 = 10-3m2.

I don't think your second question was clear. Was it 1.45 x 109cm or 1.45 x 109m or something else?

How do you get -3 as an exponent?

101 * 10-4= 10-3

or more generally

am * an= a(m+n)

Last edited:

Related to Master Converting Metric Units in Scientific Notation: Learn the Simple Method!

What is "Imparcticle needs HELP"?

"Imparcticle needs HELP" is a fictional scenario used as a teaching tool in science classrooms. It involves a small, imaginary creature called an Imparcticle who needs help finding its way back to its home. This scenario is often used to teach students about the scientific method and problem-solving skills.

Why is "Imparcticle needs HELP" used as a teaching tool?

"Imparcticle needs HELP" is used as a teaching tool because it presents students with a real-world problem that they can apply the scientific method to solve. It also helps to develop critical thinking skills and encourages students to work collaboratively to find a solution.

What are the steps of the scientific method used in "Imparcticle needs HELP"?

The steps of the scientific method used in "Imparcticle needs HELP" are: making observations, asking a question, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting an experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing a conclusion. These steps help students to approach the problem in a systematic and logical way.

What skills can students learn from "Imparcticle needs HELP"?

Students can learn a variety of skills from "Imparcticle needs HELP", including problem-solving, critical thinking, collaboration, and scientific inquiry. They can also develop their communication skills by discussing their ideas and findings with their peers.

How can "Imparcticle needs HELP" be adapted for different age groups?

"Imparcticle needs HELP" can be adapted for different age groups by adjusting the complexity of the problem and the level of detail in the experiment. For younger students, the scenario can be simplified and the experiment can be more guided, while older students can be challenged with more complex problems and less guidance in the experiment.