Converting to SI units w/ significant digits & scientific notation

In summary, to convert 2 years into seconds, we use the known conversions of 1 hour = 3600 seconds and 1 day = 86400 seconds. Using a calculator, we get an answer of 31,536,000 seconds. To express this in scientific notation, we must have 3 significant digits, resulting in an answer of 3.15 * 10^7. However, the book's answer is 3.16 * 10^7, which is due to using 365.25 days for the length of a year. This is the average number of days in a year and results in a slightly higher conversion.
delgeezee
Hi.
I'm asked to convert 2 year into the SI Unit seconds:

Known:
1 Hr = 3600 s
1 Day = 86400 s

So using a calculator...
1 yr = 365*86,400 = 31,536,000

I want to express the answer in scientific notation:

Because the lesser number on has 3 significant digits, the scientific notation will also be expressed w/ 3 significant digits. Correct?

The coefficient in scientific notation must be greater then 1 and less then 10. Correct?

My answer:
[itex]3.15 * 10^{7}[/itex]
Book's answer:
[itex]3.16 * 10^{7}[/itex]

Why does the book's answer have it rounded up?

Physics news on Phys.org
They must have used 365.25 days for the length of a year.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
They must have used 365.25 days for the length of a year.

Chet

Thank you for the reply. At first I thought you were joking & the book made no mention. I had no idea 365.25 is the average number of days in a year.

delgeezee said:
Thank you for the reply. At first I thought you were joking & the book made no mention. I had no idea 365.25 is the average number of days in a year.

You might say it's a bit of a leap :smile:

Your answer is correct, as it follows the rules for significant digits and scientific notation. The book's answer may have been rounded up to the nearest significant digit, which is also acceptable. The important thing is that both answers are within the acceptable range and convey the same information. The slight difference in the coefficient does not significantly change the value of the measurement. It is always important to follow the rules for significant digits and scientific notation when converting units to maintain accuracy and consistency in scientific measurements.

Related to Converting to SI units w/ significant digits & scientific notation

1. What are SI units?

SI units, or the International System of Units, are a standardized system of measurement used in science, engineering, and everyday life. They are based on seven base units, including the meter for length, kilogram for mass, and second for time.

2. Why is it important to convert to SI units?

Converting to SI units allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific research and communication. It also allows for easier comparison and understanding of data across different experiments and studies.

3. How do you convert to SI units?

To convert to SI units, first identify the base unit of the quantity you are measuring. Then, use the appropriate conversion factor to convert to the corresponding SI unit. For example, if converting from inches to meters, multiply the number of inches by 0.0254.

4. What are significant digits?

Significant digits, also known as significant figures, are the digits in a number that are known with certainty. They are important in scientific notation because they indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement. Non-zero digits and zeros between non-zero digits are significant, while leading and trailing zeros may or may not be significant.

5. How do you express numbers in scientific notation with the correct number of significant digits?

To express numbers in scientific notation with the correct number of significant digits, count the significant digits in the original number and use that same number in the coefficient of the scientific notation. For example, if the original number has 4 significant digits, the coefficient in scientific notation should also have 4 significant digits.